K4 #1361

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

What do YOU think should happen to the k4#1361

put on display
60%
restore to operation
33%
scrape
7%

Total votes: 15

RyanMyers
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

K4 #1361

Post by RyanMyers »

DO you think the k4 should be restored back to operation?????
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

NO!

My God.. Make a monument of it. Enough public/taxpayer money has been spent on it... and from reading that last article in the Altoona Mirror the other Sunday, it's going to take a h*ll of a lot more and a long time to do it.

And seriously, do you really think that the K-4 running the rails again is going to be a tremendous economic boon to this area? I don't. How long will that train have to operate before its tourist income is able to match the amount of money that went into the repairs? I'd propose at least a decade.

I'm all for preserving history, but that doesn't mean that it has to be operational. Cripes, look at all the cannons on the Gettysburg battlefield, all these other national battlefields, and forts. They can't fire anymore. Look at all the naval ship museums. They are pretty much inoperable. Same with tanks, artillery, planes, missiles, and such monuments in front of legions, VFW's, Vets Homes, parks, and other museums.

The days of frivilous earmark spending by politicians for pet projects at citizens expense on both state and federal levels are quickly coming under more scrutiny, and rightly so. Hopefully, that practice will quickly be on the decline.

If the Scott Cessna and the Railroad Museum along with those who visit and support it want the K-4 to run again... then they should pay for it. We all shouldn't have to.
My2Cents
MVP Member

K4

Post by My2Cents »

NO !! Absolutely not !!! OMG, display it, fine.... but, OMG... No, No, No... it should never be made operational !!! I agree completely with Bucktail's statement above. Not only will it take a long time to restore, it will also cost a lot of money !!! Then, after all is said and done... and, if they do get it operational.... look out folks....it will contribute immensely to air pollution where ever it goes !!! The days of dirty black coal smoke, along with dirty falling coal cinders, on Mama's clothesline should be history, I hope !!!
Last edited by My2Cents on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I believe in keeping history alive for the sake of remembrance...but there has been a lot of monies spent just on this one project...that I believe it is time to let her go...Have her displayed and have everything about her known, but operational...I just don't think there is enough private interest / monies to do that.
Let them cruise

Post by Let them cruise »

When Ed Rendell {the Man of Perdition} was recently asked about funding for the K4 he responded by asking "What's a K4?"
scoutmom

Post by scoutmom »

I think the K4 should be brought back to display. My Great Grandfather helped build that train and I'd love for my children to see it in person, not just the pictures we have. It don't have to be up and running. :wink:
stop and take time to smell the flowers