Hospital

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

OK, It is my turn to yip!

CONGRATULATIONS on the election of new board members. I know all of them personally and am aware of how they have been putting in countless hours to PLAN for the resurrection of the hospital. They will have their work cut out for them but I am sure they will rise to the occasion.

PUP- apparently you have not been treated at another hospital. For example, my sister has severe asthma and went to Altoona ER for treatment. She was made to wait in the waiting room for over 1 hour. When the nurse finally assessed her, the nurse became visibly upset because my sister was barely breathing. She was admitted to ICU and was on a breathing machine for 3 days. THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !

My mother had surgery on her leg at Altoona Hospital and developed a nasty draining sore on her heel. That indicates failure of the nurses to monitor the circulation of the leg - THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !

My father had open heart surgery in Pittsburgh. Several years later he had a cardiac cath done which showed that none of the vessels that they had implanted in his chest were connected correctly and that he was not getting blood circulation to the heart vessels. THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !

PUP - There is not one hospital on this planet that has not made a mistake, that has not been sued. Everyone who works in Tyrone Hospital does not go to work every day saying "Gee I think I will try to harm someone today. I love making mistakes." Everyone makes mistakes - every day (yes even you Pup have made mistakes).

The suit with Tyrone Hospital received so much publicity because it was a large amount and it caused financial turmoil for the hospital. If you know of a hospital that has NEVER been sued, please let me know. Everyone will want to go there I am sure - but with a little research I will surely be able to provide details of a lawsuit filed against that hospital. Because you see, PUP, every hospital has been sued at some point. Some suits are not as well publicized as the one at Tyrone Hospital.

You should also know that most of the staff involved in that lawsuit have left the hospital.

Pup, you have the right to go to whatever hospital you prefer. Not using Tyrone Hospital is not going to impact them that much. You also can select your physician - we all have the right to quality care and the right to chose how and where we obtain that care. I would ask though that you use caution with your accusations in this public forum. While I am not well versed on slander and libel issues, one needs to be cautious in what one submits to this forum in the way of accusations. Anyone care to enlighten me on slander and libel issues. Rick, Harlow, Banksy, Bock ??????

PS: Concerned Nurse - still holding down the proverbial fort or have you spent too much time swinging at the park?
PUP

Post by PUP »

I guess all I have to say is the 4 million lawsuit DR. was also my doctor..............Need I say more???????????
I live mistakes everyday!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope and pray the new member's will make a big differance. :thumb:
PUP

Post by PUP »

UPTOWNGIRL.........I will alway's say what I have proof of.You will never get me to change my tune,It don't empress me!!!

My first hand information........Try living one of them mistakes as you call it like it's nothing.

Have you ever had to live it?

I do,every day..........Don't ever tell me that I don't have a right to state the fact's of who hurt me or my family.One of those mistakes is my life now.
Tyrone Pride
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

My Dog

Post by Tyrone Pride »

S
PUP wrote:I wouldn't take my dog to that place........

If changes were made to get rid of some of the staff that call's themselves nurses,(maybe)and that's a big maybe.

If changes were made to get rid of the butcher doctor up there and he's not with that hospital,(maybe).

The only reason that hospital is in trouble is because of the last law suit against one of your doctor's.
Its on the net as one of the biggest law suit's ever won in the State Of Penna. Total 4 millon.That's what did you in!!!

Past horror story..I go up there for chest pain's.The doc mixes the record's up,want's to ship me to Altoona for 3 rd. stage kindey failure.The lady in the bed next to me say's,oh hunny,I'm so sorry.Doctor say's wait a minute,I got the wrong patient.It was the lady beside me.I went there for chest pain's,I could of had a heart attack on the bed after that was said to me,omg.And that's just one nite mare at that place............

Fix that and (maybe) you would have our money too,if not,my money's staying where Mag's has his......away from there............
Well PUP you are able to have your own view. I have this to say though. There are doctors at every hospital that make mistakes. I have worked at other local hospitals and I have to say that the care at Tyrone is better than most. You haven't seen it from my side. As far a nursing goes again all hospitals have a few issues. NONE of them are perfect. Again, I see this from both sides. Being a small community hospital, Tyrone people are bound to hear rumors and horor stories made up by a induvidual that may have had a bad experience. Rumors start and by the time some people hear them they are very far from the truth. You know this to be true in this little town right? Let me tell you bad things happen everywhere. Bigger hospitals and bigger communities just cover it up better. Again you have your opinion. But if Tyrone isn't here just think of the 20 min ride in an ambulance. In emergency cases, seconds count. Be it a cardiac arrest or some other serious problem, a longer ride may make the difference between life and death. I also work in Emergency Services and I know this to be all too true. By the way.The law suit didnt just do us in. There were other issues.Once again, I must question the gossip and tell you that this is not all true.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

PUP wrote:I will alway's say what I have proof of.
A clearly loose meaning of the word always.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Again, every hospital makes mistakes. I think we are all guilty of this: Thinking that Doctors are the all mighty. Lets face it, they are human beings and humans make mistakes!! They try very hard not to, but again they are human. I wish this was a perfect world with perfect doc's and nurses but it isn't and it NEVER will be. We have to choose are physicians wisely and pray and have faith they will do right by us, but there is ALWAYS a risk in medicine.
PUP

Post by PUP »

Seem's to me that Tyrone has no problem's up there at all.

Sound's to me like the YMCA got resolved,the hospital's doing great,the YMCA parking lot is fixed....Thats wonderful. :bluebounce:

God Bless Tyrone and thank you for all the support in helping us make changes and finding out what the people want even though is was hard to hear..

Now if you'll excuse me,my rose color glasses are starting to burn my eyes.........

PS..Tyrone Pride...My son in law is the chief of Logan Fire Co. in Bellefonte...so I already hear enought stuff.
By the way...How was the fire convention this year?
I heard about that too.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

PUP,

I'm very sorry about your mother, and I can appreciate your anger towards that situation.
PUP

Post by PUP »

Thanks Mainegirl
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

banksy wrote:
PUP wrote:I will alway's say what I have proof of.
A clearly loose meaning of the word always.
Concerned Nurse

Post by Concerned Nurse »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and of course freedom of speech. I'll listen to those opinions and decide for myself what I believe in. I think everyone thus far is correct that every hospital has its positives and negatives. But it just seems that some dwell only on the negatives. If you've had a bad experience then do something about it. I don't think there is one person here who could honestly say that they or a family member have never had a bad/negative experience in a hospital or with their physician or nurse.

Pup I am proud to call myself a nurse. Am I one of those nurses that you insist on that need to be "rid of"? Or is it all of us? If we were all to be "rid of" then who would take care of the patient? I would hope that you would find it deep in your heart when we're all gone to step in and take care of that critical patient. Could you walk the halls of a hospital knowing that you are responsible for each and every life. Could you make sure that they've all received their medications and had all their surgical incisions inspected, cleansed, & dressed? Or how about that young kid who is rolled out at the ambulance entrance by his friends, blue, without a heartbeat, and a syringe still inserted in his vein. Could you tell his parents I’m sorry your son did not make it, but we did everything that we could? Or perhaps you could take care of that elderly woman who smoked two packs per day for the last forty years of her life gasping for air and not understanding why she can't breath! These are just some of the situations that we face everyday and someone will have to do the job when we’re not there. We as nurses learn to be the jack of all trades but master of none! We are all human and do our best to our ability and with what resources we have. Again, as many have already stated I'm sorry for your loss & your personal experiences, but you're not alone. Unfortunately these terrible experiences have been felt by others. That's why you're entitled to choose whatever means of healthcare you desire. I'm simply here to state MY opinion of this hospital and if you or others choose to listen and form your own beliefs than my purpose has been fulfilled! I'm trying to get the word out to the community of where our hospital stands and what is currently being done to improve the quality of healthcare in this area. Once again, if you choose not to use this facility than that is your own personal choice, but I urge you not to drag the staff through the dirt. How many "Doctor S"'s are there? I know more than one. I would hope your comment on “Doctor S” doesn’t deter patients from all the good Doctor S’ out there ! Again, we all have our bad experiences, but try looking on the other side of the fence once, we're not all bad, we do care and provide to the best of our knowledge & ability.

Tyrone Pride, you've hit the nail right on the head, when someone calls for EMS it is not only "may" rather WILL make the difference between life or death the distance that they will have to travel. Pup I’m GLAD to hear that you have a grasp on that concept, especially since your son in-law is the chief in all. What a respectable position, I bet you’re grateful that you have someone with that dedication & knowledge of how the EMS system works in your family. I know I would be proud family or not. An additional side note: we need to give thanks to the front line, all of the firefighters & EMS responders who are generally the first line that takes care of us in the time of an emergency with all of their hard work, dedication, and experience.

Mainegirl, I agree with you. We all make mistakes some worse than others. There is always a risk in medicine and that is the risk we all take. Patients put their life the hands of physicians & nurses trusting that they've made the best choice to improve their quality of life, some good decisions and some bad. On the other hand nurses and physicians put trust in their patients that they are truthful with their complaints of what ails them and that they've been compliant with their plan of care including making lifestyle changes and following their medicinal regimen. But that doesn't always hold true and we as medical professionals are the first one to take the blame for their faults. We don't live in perfect world and god forbid if we did we would all be bored with our perfect selves!

Uptowngirl, thanks for your insight on the law suit issue. I would hope it has cleared a misconception that others can’t seem to let go! I'm doing my best to hold up the fort with the rest of the dedicated soldiers. However, the commander has waived the white flag and deserted us! It was once said you're only as strong as the weakest link, I guess we're indestructible now! There is always room for another good soldier wanna enlist? We do offer a new benefit called swinging, only the enlistee would understand. Effective only after thirty days employment. LOL

Hey banksy, I will ALWAY'S put up a fight for the community, the future of our healthcare & it's professionals! =)

Sincerely,

Someone Who Takes Pride In Calling Themself A Nurse
PUP

Post by PUP »

Congratulations!!!
Like I said,I'm glad all the town's problem's got solved. :bluebounce:
There's nothing eles to talk about then,good job.

If I get time tomorrow I made take a walk around new YMCA's parking lot.
I may even go into the new YMCA and check it out.
I here its just a dream.

Someone Who Takes Pride In Calling Themself A Patient
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

PUP wrote:If I get time tomorrow I made take a walk around new YMCA's parking lot.
I may even go into the new YMCA and check it out.
I here its just a dream.
Blah, blah, blah!
PUP

Post by PUP »

Isn't that funny what you get away with.......and other's don't ?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Concerned Nurse wrote: I am proud to call myself a nurse. We as nurses learn to be the jack of all trades but master of none! We are all human and do our best to our ability and with what resources we have. we do care and provide to the best of our knowledge & ability.

An additional side note: we need to give thanks to the front line, all of the firefighters & EMS responders who are generally the first line that takes care of us in the time of an emergency with all of their hard work, dedication, and experience.

On the other hand nurses and physicians put trust in their patients that they are truthful with their complaints of what ails them and that they've been compliant with their plan of care including making lifestyle changes and following their medicinal regimen. But that doesn't always hold true and we as medical professionals are the first one to take the blame for their faults.
I will ALWAY'S put up a fight for the community, the future of our healthcare & it's professionals! =)

Sincerely,

Someone Who Takes Pride In Calling Themself A Nurse
Well said.... Thank-you, Concerned Nurse, for taking the time to post ALL of the above.. I shortened what you posted above only to save space. !! Everything that you have mentioned in your original post above is so very true. Most people could never realize what medical personal go thru on a daily basis. You said it all !! Thank you for your dedication. Whoever you are... I am glad someone such as you is working in the Tyrone area. Sincerely, My2Cents... (A Retired Medical Technologist).