TASD Teacher Strike???

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Education doesn't always mean more money, my wife is a perfect example of that. She has her undergrad degree in Psychology and her Masters in Art Therapy. If she works full time she makes around 49K per year, but we have chosen to have her work only part time due to our son.

While I would agree teachers are important and deserve more money, it isn't like they go through school to be a teacher, get a job, and then all of a sudden say "wow, I'm only getting 31K to start." You know going into that field that while the pay isn't the best, it is a life's calling. To then complain about the salary after the fact is somewhat a situation of "you knew better."

I only say this about salary as everyone else on the board is assuming the lack of a teacher contract surrounds salary, which it may, but it could also be about class sizes, healthcare benefits, retirement plans, etc.

Some of us have chosen careers to maximize the amount of money we can make, even if it isn't our life calling while others have willingly given up the higher salaries to do a job they love. It would be nice to see what a teacher salary of 40K a year works out to on a hourly basis and compare that the hourly rate of someone making $120K per year where the expectation is 45-50 hour work weeks, significant time away from home for work related travel, and only 3 weeks of vacation.

I propose w could raise teacher salaries 10% across the board, but require them to work through the summer and holidays (but give them 3 weeks of vacation to be used at their will.) They could have their lesson plans created and ready prior to the school year, etc and not have as much to do during the school year.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Actually, I heard it isn't so much about the starting salary, it has more to do with the pay scale. Supposedly it takes over 40 years to reach the top of the pay scale in Tyrone. True or not, I don't know.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

banksy wrote:While I would agree teachers are important and deserve more money, it isn't like they go through school to be a teacher, get a job, and then all of a sudden say "wow, I'm only getting 31K to start." You know going into that field that while the pay isn't the best, it is a life's calling. To then complain about the salary after the fact is somewhat a situation of "you knew better."
Some of us have chosen careers to maximize the amount of money we can make, even if it isn't our life calling while others have willingly given up the higher salaries to do a job they love.I propose we could raise teacher salaries 10% across the board, but require them to work through the summer and holidays (but give them 3 weeks of vacation to be used at their will.) They could have their lesson plans created and ready prior to the school year, etc and not have as much to do during the school year.
Thanks Banks... I wiped out some of your statement above mearly to save space on here, but, I must say... you hit that nail on the head this time with the entire statement !!! It certainly would be nice if that type of system were adopted now and forever !! Do all of the above that Bansky mentioned....plus, make teacher strikes illegal in Pennsylvania. If they want to be a teacher they should know what they are getting into and what their paycheck is going to be before they take the plunge. My heart goes out to teachers.... I honestly do not know how they do it... it really does take someone special to do the job that they do. In addition, just like our Tyrone Hospital, they need to keep Sue out of the classroom !!!
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I agree, although I do think most teachers know what they are getting into starting out and don't expect to get rich teaching. I do think they expect to make ends meet, however, the same as anyone who goes to college and earns a degree.

At the same time, what other profession gives you so much time off? I take a lot of vacation time during the summer, but still have to put in some hours.

I heard that there is a bill pending that would ban teacher strikes in PA, which is great. Even if it passes both house and senate, though, it wouldn't take effect until Jan. 1. Possibly too late for us.

Does anyone know how a strike would effect football and other sports and activties? I assume games and other school activities would be put on hold until the strike is over, but maybe this is wrong. Tyrone without its football in the fall, hmmm, I think some heads would roll!
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

On a similar note, my wife and I attended the Kindergarten and 1st grade orientations yesterday. It looks like in-service days are no longer going to be a full day, but a two hour early dismissal. Any ideas why? I am assuming it will allow the day to count as a full day of school.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Beck

Post by Beck »

If teachers in the Tyrone School district start out at $31,000 that isn't enough... My youngest just graduated from TAHS so I don't really find myself to concerned about the teachers strike but I can tell you one thing I hope colleges never go on strike with the money you put into sending kids there.. He leaves tomorrow for Juniata College with a truck load of stuff and all my money!!!
PUP

Post by PUP »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

SoccerMom wrote:
Does anyone know how a strike would effect football and other sports and activties? I assume games and other school activities would be put on hold until the strike is over, but maybe this is wrong. Tyrone without its football in the fall, hmmm, I think some heads would roll!
Not absolutely sure SoccerMom... a fairly reliable source is telling me that IF there is a strike... there will not be any football or other sports played until all is settled.... but, supposedly there are ways to get around that if there is an upcoming game prior to the strike. This will turn out to be a case between the teachers and the school board.. both, casting blame on each other for the strike. What a shame. Once again, let's hope this talk of strike is all rumor.
Bock

Post by Bock »

You've heard the rumors. Now read the story on the Tyrone teacher contract.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/artic ... leID=14620

By the way, we'll be making the beta of our shiny, new Altoona Mirror web site available Monday. The current site will go away after Sept. 5. I'll post the beta url after the weekend.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Bock, thank you for the well-written, thought-provoking report. It substantiated a few of the issues and clarified others. Of course we don't know the details of the proposed contract, but the teacher's demands seem fair. Hopefully this will put pressure on the school board to at least consider a compromise.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

SoccerMom wrote:Bock, thank you for the well-written, thought-provoking report. Hopefully this will put pressure on the school board to at least consider a compromise.
I agree !! :thumb:
disneyqn71

STRIKE

Post by disneyqn71 »

My son attends Bellwood, but I do know the reason for the "no in service day..."question by Rick.

Bellwood used 8 days last school year to have a 2 hr. delay in the morning. That was in lieu of an entire day off for teacher in service. I think leaving an early dismissal would be better because it created a lot of trouble with working parents trying to make arrangements to see their kids off to school 2 hours later than usual. On the flip side, kids love it, they can sleep in!! :bluebounce:
Bock

Post by Bock »

In Saturday's Altoona Mirror story titled “ Tyrone Teachers May Strike,” the state's collective bargaining law for school employees, Act 88, was misinterpreted by yours truly, and so the time line for a possible teacher strike was subsequently misreported by yours truly.

I've been kicking myself all day. Here's the breakdown.

Under the law, once the Labor Relations Board fact-finder's report is sent, both sides have 10 days to either accept or reject the findings of fact and recommendations. After the 10 day response period, and the publicizing of the fact-finder's report, the process enters a “cooling off period” before voting again on the report's recommendations. Both parties must wait at least five days before the second vote, but not more than 10 days.

In light of the these requirements, Tyrone's teachers and school board have until Sept. 5 to accept or reject the state's findings. The earliest a second vote could occur is Sept. 10 and Sept. 10 would mark the end of the time frame when state law prohibits the teachers from walking out.

A correction should appear in the print addition Sunday.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Thanks for the clarification Bock, and don't be so hard on yourself. Its easy to misinterpreted the language of these laws. You did a lot of digging to report what is going on, and we appreciate it!

SoccerMom
(former news reporter)
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Re: TASD Teacher Strike???

Post by SoccerMom »

Can you all hear my huge sigh of relief? This just in courtesy of the Altoona Mirror:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/artic ... leID=14918

:bluebounce: