TASD Teacher Strike???

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
James1970

TASD Teacher Strike???

Post by James1970 »

I first considered this hear say, until I was in a local store and heard a faculty member say "We have been ordered to work Wednesday thru Friday due to the football game". I am all for team support, but does any one else find this disturbing?
Last edited by James1970 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: TASD Teacher Strike???

Post by My2Cents »

James1970 wrote:I first considered this hear say, until I was in a local store and heard a faculty menber say "We have been ordered to work Wednesday thru Friday due to the football game". I am all for team support, but does any one else find this distrubing?
:roll: Are you a faculty member asking this question ??
James1970

Post by James1970 »

No I am not a faculty member.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

James1970 wrote:No I am not a faculty member.
Then this shouldn't be any of your concern what-so-ever.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I don't find it disturbing. I would venture to guess that the anti-sports, academia only subset of citizens would definitely use this as a platform to jump on their soap box, but for me I see nothing wrong with this at all. High School Football is a big factor of community pride in Tyrone and for the teachers who may strike to start the school year for a few days prior to starting a strike to allow for the game to go forward is a good jesture.

What disturbs you about it.
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

This is the first I have heard about a teachers strike in Tyrone. My kids attend school there and I would like to know if they will be missing school or not. Some of us work and have to rearrange our schedules if our children are going to be home during the day instead of in school. This can not often be done in the course of a day for some of us. It doesn't make any sense to me to have them work W-F for a football game. There is going to be one the next week too. If anyone knows for sure, not based on hearsay, please post. As a mom of three children in the school district and a taxpayer, I feel this concerns me and my children. Thanks!

P.S. I do support the football team as well as the band, so I still want to see the game go on, I just think that having them work for three days due to the game is silly, what will they do next week when there is another game on Friday?
Mainegirl

Tasd teacher strike

Post by Mainegirl »

I'm not suprised. As long as football brings in revenue for the school, it will come first.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

That's what really got my attention... the word "hearsay"... the words "teacher strike"... also the statement... "being ordered to" I'm sorry for being so blunt, I apologize (James) for that. However, as soon as I read that post... immediately, my thoughts went to.. is someone trying to start something here... or, is this a fact ?? I too have not heard the words "teacher strike." This is how vicious gossip gets started. Here we are, along with the kids, getting ready for the BIG game which is ony 9 days away... and some kind of statement like this shows up. Unless something comes out substantial, I'll say no more. Can you imagine the teachers even considering a strike prior to a big game such as this ?? I should think not.
James1970

Post by James1970 »

I just wondered how a strike could be avoided for 3 days to allow for a football game, when in fact a strike will affect 1952 students and many parents.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

banksy wrote: High School Football is a big factor of community pride in Tyrone and for the teachers who may strike to start the school year for a few days prior to starting a strike to allow for the game to go forward is a good jesture.
What disturbs you about it.
Bansky... seriously... I may be wrong, but, I just don't understand why teachers anywhere should even consider "striking." They are teachers and should always be setting a good example for the students. If they have any bickering to do, they should discuss it and settle it behind closed doors. If they can't come to some conclusion behind closed doors... then, off with their heads.... there is plenty of others out there willing to comply. By the way... strike or no strike, the game would still go on.
Hey, I've been gone for a while.. did you miss me 8)
Last edited by My2Cents on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

James1970 wrote:I just wondered how a strike could be avoided for 3 days to allow for a football game, when in fact a strike will affect 1952 students and many parents.
Oh, I hope you are wrong....there may be some babysitters on strike too. :eek:
Last edited by My2Cents on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

I too had heard of the possibilty of a strike, over a week ago.

I was just waiting to see published fact /news before discussing.

But since it's now here... :shock:
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

How do you know if it is a rumor or not ???
James1970

Re: **

Post by James1970 »

My2Cents wrote:
James1970 wrote:No I am not a faculty member.
Then this shouldn't be any of your concern what-so-ever.
Yes as a parent of a school age child it does concern me..
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Mainegirl wrote:How do you know if it is a rumor or not ???
Yes. you're right Maingirl... I really don't know, I'm guessing. I just can't imagine this happening... I'm from the old school where stuff like this just didn't happen.... what a shame that we have come to this. Anyway, I usually have my Tyrone Daily Herald by now.... for some reason, it's late this evening... hummm.... I wonder..... :roll: