TASD Teacher Strike???

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

The Herald is here... there is nothing about this in it.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:
banksy wrote: High School Football is a big factor of community pride in Tyrone and for the teachers who may strike to start the school year for a few days prior to starting a strike to allow for the game to go forward is a good jesture.
What disturbs you about it.
Bansky... seriously... I may be wrong, but, I just don't understand why teachers anywhere should even consider "striking." They are teachers and should always be setting a good example for the students. If they have any bickering to do, they should discuss it and settle it behind closed doors. If they can't come to some conclusion behind closed doors... then, off with their heads.... there is plenty of others out there willing to comply. By the way... strike or no strike, the game would still go on.
Hey, I've been gone for a while.. did you miss me 8)
Sometime striking is the only leverage they have. Traditionally striking is the last resort after negotiations have proved to show no resolution. Until we know the facts, it's all just hearsay, including reasons why. Perhaps the teachers want smaller class sizes or something, who knows.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

FYI: PA is one of the leading states in the nation for teacher's strikes.

http://www.stopteacherstrikes.org/

Of the 10 teacher strikes in the state this past school year, eight have occurred in Western Pennsylvania, affecting more than 26,000 students.

Pennsylvania is one of 12 states where public school teachers' strikes are legal. In 2005-06, the state had 13 teacher strikes. The others combined for seven, according to the Pennsylvania School Boards Association.

State law limits the length of teacher strikes by requiring students to log 180 days of class by June 15.

Pennsylvania's teachers are already the fourth-best paid in the U.S. when adjusted for cost of living.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 95001.html

Of course, when you compare the teachers' pay to that of our state legislators (who are ranked either #1 or #2 depending upon who's reporting the stat), 4th doesn't look so bad. Then compare the salaries to that of our federal legislators. :roll:

Now... don't take these comments as me speaking against the strike or supporting the strike. This is a tricky area for me as my parents and grandparents were all public school administrators and teachers. I'm just adding some informative comments.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Here is the latest information on contract negotiations and the possibility of a strike:

http://taea.psealocals.org/

A strike would serve no purpose, IMO, because teachers would be ordered back to work anyway (must get those 180 days of instruction in before June 15). With two school-age children, this is a huge concern for me.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

If some people believe public school teachers are overpaid, then you should take a look this... PHEAA (your state funded college student loan company) execs who have a long history of exorbitant spending of taxpayer monies. They just gave themselves another RATHER LARGE bonuses once again.

------------------------------------------------

PHEAA was criticized after it was forced to disclose how it spent $860,000 on board retreats over five years. PHEAA fought an unsuccessful battle before the state Supreme Court to keep those detailed receipts private, racking up $400,000 in legal bills. Gov. Ed Rendell scolded PHEAA for its spending habits, calling on the agency to behave like a public agency and urging a "total housecleaning."

But there was no mention of any of those concerns Wednesday when the PHEAA board's executive committee unanimously approved executive bonuses totaling $573,838.

The largest bonus went to D!ck Willey, the agency's president and CEO. He received a bonus of $180,857, which exceeds Rendell's annual salary of $164,396. Willey's total compensation for this year is $469,975. His base salary is $289,118.

Three executive vice presidents -- Timothy Guenther, Brian Lecher and James Preston -- received $113,515 in bonuses. Each man receives a base salary of $217,257.

The fourth executive vice president, Kelly Logan, whose first day in that position was in January, received a $52,436 bonus, or 26 percent of her $201,178 base pay.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnew ... xml&coll=1

--------------------------------------------------

And I believe about 16 of the 20 PHEAA Board Members (who have been part of the frivilous spending binges) are current PA state legislators who signed off on the bonuses.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:FYI: PA is one of the leading states in the nation for teacher's strikes.

http://www.stopteacherstrikes.org/
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 95001.html
Thanks Bucktail for the above web sites... they are VERY informative. What I decipher from reading some of the info...long story short....If a strike should occur, it will gouge the taxpayers for MORE money as they struggle with esculating property taxes. The bottom line, our childrens education will be held hostage until all is said and done.
I realize that this is all rumor and here say right now.... let's hope that's all it is. Let's hope that we don't have teachers, or a school board, in Tyrone, Pa that would EVER let something like this happen.
Pennsylvania should do what New York does... they are very serious about teacher wanting/trying to strike.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

SoccerMom wrote:Here is the latest information on contract negotiations and the possibility of a strike:

http://taea.psealocals.org/

A strike would serve no purpose, IMO, because teachers would be ordered back to work anyway (must get those 180 days of instruction in before June 15). With two school-age children, this is a huge concern for me.
Thanks SoccerMom for the above web site... it too, is very informative. I just can't understand why all of this is starting now.... why didn't they discuss this and settle things before now ?? Why wait until a new school year is to begin ?? It's football season, the kids are all excited about returning to school. How can the teachers give 100 percent in educating our children when this "threat" of striking is looming overhead ??? I just don't understand... I hope this is all rumor :?
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

From what I've heard, contract negotiations started in the spring. Supposedly the fact finder they brought in said he has never been involved in contract negotiation situation that was so bad from the get-go.

So, here we are at the begining of the school year, and still no new contract. I do feel that our teachers should be paid more, at least as much as in Bellwood, but I can't support a strike. It is just so wrong, and should be banned in our state (as teacher strikes are in 37 other states -- thanks Buck for the informative links!).

The threat of a strike is typically just that, a threat. Hopefully they'll be able to work things out.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Our school district will be facing new teacher contracts in a year. I feel that if our teachers strike go for it! There are a lot issues with our teachers. The main thing for our district is that they are not paying enough for their insurance. The 2 biggest cost to our school budget is salary/benefits. I'm tired of paying 4000 a year in school tax. We are in need of new buildings badly. Repairs need done etc...... But we are strapped. A lot of waste happens in school districts. All I can say is get involved and attend your school board meetings.

Do you all feel that 50K for 180 days of work is fair to the taxpayers? My dh worked for the military and didn't even make that after 20 years of service.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

submarinerswife wrote:Do you all feel that 50K for 180 days of work is fair to the taxpayers?
Abosolutely! I myself do not want an uneducated average individual teaching our nation's children.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Well then maybe we should pay our sailors more money too being they are protecting our country daily. I don't want just anyone operating our subs.

Plus you can have our high tax bills (I don't own a big house either)
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

submarinerswife wrote:Well then maybe we should pay our sailors more money too being they are protecting our country daily. I don't want just anyone operating our subs.

Plus you can have our high tax bills (I don't own a big house either)
You speak like I said that the armed forced shouldn't pay more, which is hardly the case. Why should I pay more taxes and not everyone else? What does the size of anyone's house have to do with anything other than those people probably do support tax supported job more than those with smaller houses. You think that is fair?
PUP

Post by PUP »

Living in the Tyrone Area School District and being on the Centre County Line is some times confusing when it comes to who get's what in taxes.
Well,I live in Centre but I pay Blair school taxes,omggggg....

Let alone that fight is still going on between the fire company's.We want Bald Eagle,they want Port matilda,what a mess that is................... :zzz:

I have a smaller house than my family member above me and I like it that way.He pay's 2x's to what I pay in school taxes.I think if your going to have all that stuff and you can afford it,well then,cut back or pay.

The teacher's,I want a good teacher but before I say you have my support,I would want to know what the problem is first.
PUP

Post by PUP »

Hey Bucktail,

There's a person I know with a social security mess..
Are you up on that stuff???

I wanted to send you a PM to ask you what could happen to this lady,she asked me and hubby and it was such a mess,we couldn't answer her how to fix it.We could of if she would of done some thing's different,lol...
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Well... a friend of ours, who has his master's degree and several years of teaching experience, was offered a job at Tyrone, starting pay $31,000. He said he couldn't even live off that. He took a job in Bellefonte making $41,000. Now, Bellefonte has a higher tax base, but still... that seems a bit low for someone with a master's and experience, don't you think?