LINCON SCHOOL

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: LINCON SCHOOL

Post by My2Cents »

LKS wrote:the waring house apartments are located behind lincoln school and my parents live next to it as well as the family at the other end........(can't say their names because of the publishing)......i feel bad for the people who have to look at the front (lincoln avenue) and the back (cameron avenue).......does the police chief have to look ( NO) he is facing the lounge and the "hyper kid" room.......it used to be MRS
BEHRENS CLASSROOM........and the people that are along side of the school have to look at the rotting building as well........if i'm not mistaken the band director kris laird used to live in that house
OK, I know where you mean now.... yes, I understand what you're talking about concerning that place too.
LKS

Post by LKS »

my 2 cents

i am glad to know that you are familar with the area surrounding lincoln school..........like i said its sad to see people staring at a building with no future in mind.......take it down brick by brick so the people on lincoln avenue and cameron avenue don't have to look at it anymore.......but then again its a place called tyrone and a place i want to call home.........
Woodrat

Post by Woodrat »

And I suppose you all know why the apartements behind the school are named the Waring House Apartments: because the house Fred Waring grew up in was torn down to build Lincoln School back in the 50s, setting a pattern that would be followed later on with other landmarks like the Wilson Theater, the old train station, and the Jones Building. So now we're on the second cycle, it seems. I went to that school, and it bothers me to see it going to rack and ruin, but I guess I shouldn't live in the past.

They'd have to bring in many tons of new soil, I'm sure, but it would be a great site for community gardens - nice south-east exposure, probably not in a frost pocket.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

The Lincoln school was built in 1910 I believe, as Tyrone High School. In 1916 a home economics class was built, and the Waring house was razed to make room for the junior high, or so I've been told. Tyrone surely has seen a lot of changes.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Maybe Tyrone can try something that has worked here in the past in NC whenever an historic, old building is being razed. Sell the bricks or parts of the outer structure if there are no bricks, for a nominal donation. You would be surprised how much money will come in by those of us who are sentimental about such things. My late mom is an alumni of Lincoln School and I would love to own a little part of her much-loved school that she attended during the late 30's, early 40's.
Something to say
MVP Member

That's a good idea Red... same holds true for me. My mom graduated from there in 1941...we just talked about it over dinner. She also said she thought she attended Adam's school a few years. She suffers some memory loss so I don't know if that is true or not... Adam's School doesn't look that old to me... lol...but might be.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Aw, bless her heart Something To Say, she is probably around the same age my mom would have been if she was still living. Give her a big hug for me....

I also sent you a PM giving you mom's name, maybe your mom knew her.
Something to say
MVP Member

Red...sending you a pm.... if I can figure out how...lol