Borough Selling Property

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Borough Selling Property

Post by Bill Latchford »

I am not familiar with the "windmill" talks with Snyder Township or the Van Scoyoc Hollow stuff. I just know we have some unused land that another Community could benefit from, and thought if the price was right why not let all benefit from the sale of it. You are correct I heard those talks also about the School District and Hospital, but you are also correct that a referendum would definitely be in order. The property would have to be totally uninhabited, I believe, so no one would be effected by any differences in taxation.
disneyqn71

Post by disneyqn71 »

So the Borough has owned this land due to a purchase in 1920????
Property has been sitting undeveloped for 88 years. So now, the township proposes to develop it for the entire community's use and the Borough wants to hold onto it (with no future plans of their own) because it may be worth more when I-99 is completed.

I doubt the general public (community of Tyrone) cares about how much money the Borough could potentially stand to profit from this property, unless there was a proposal as to what the money would be used for and how it would benefit the entire community by waiting another several decades to do anything with it.

Everyone would benefit sooner than later from the sale and develpoment. I think it is foolish to keep waiting. :fogey:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Disney....That is my stand on the situation also, but I would not be doing my job if I did not do all I could to get as many insights as possible. I just think if two communities can benefit why wait for the unforseen future value of the property. That is why there are 8 people on Council so we all can hopefully work together to do the right thing for the Borough.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

This matter is popping up again.... a vote is near. Today's Altoona Mirror (A2). Let's hope they don't sell it !! Aside from it belonging to Tyrone, PA.... this is potential wind mill country we are talking about now. We definitely don't want the wind mills.... but !!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:This matter is popping up again.... a vote is near. Today's Altoona Mirror (A2). Let's hope they don't sell it !! Aside from it belonging to Tyrone, PA.... this is potential wind mill country we are talking about now. We definitely don't want the wind mills.... but !!!
My2Cents - If the Borough would decide to sell this property to Snyder Township it would be in the form of a contract that would limit the use of the property, and all those who would buy it down the road, that it only be used for recreational purposes only.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Because of inadequate wind power, the Irvin Hill Road site is unsuitable for industrial wind development.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sandstone wrote:Because of inadequate wind power, the Irvin Hill Road site is unsuitable for industrial wind development.
Thanks sandstone, that's VERY good to know !! Also, the fact... a vote was taken last evening and the area was not sold.
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

So did they sell this property?
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

No the Council decided not to sell the property to Snyder Township.