Borough Selling Property

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Borough Selling Property

Post by Bill Latchford »

Hey All...I just wanted to get the opinion of what some of the Tyrone Citizens, that frequent this forum, think about the Borough selling property, that it does not use at this time, to Snyder Township. Snyder Township has plans of developing a recreation park there. If I am correct the property is out in the Vale area by the Boy Scout area. Here is the Herald's news article link about it.

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=10270

I hope I have provided enough information. I guess my view is that it is a piece of property that we, the Borough, does not use, and it is something that Snyder Township could develop into a great recreation facility for both community's to take advantage of. Apparently they are willing to pay for all fees associated with the sale of the property, to include fair market value of the property. Just so you have opponents view. Those opposed feel they want to hold out until I-99 is complete and see if the value goes up. From what I understand it will take a bit of work to develop this land into anything, but I am not a developer and have not the foggiest idea of what it would take to do anything with the property. I just see a way for two communities to get something accomplished together.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Re: Borough Selling Property

Post by My2Cents »

Personally, I think it would be a HUGE MISTAKE for Tyrone to sell that land. Why can't Tyrone do what Snyder Township is saying it is going to do with that land ?? Or, at least plan for something in the future... no rush, it belongs to us anyway. Common sense tells us that, YES, once I99 is completed... property values, land values, will also increase. If this 75 acres is sold to Snyder Township... aside from handshakes and thank you very much'es... what benefit will Tyrone, PA get from the sale ??
Don't get me wrong.. I'm not griping and/or complaining... I just don't understand. Why would anyone even think of selling 75 beautiful acres of land that belongs to Tyrone, PA ??
Thanks Bill for putting this on the forum, along with other things you've put on here in the past. I think it's great that you are willing to put yourself out there, present things to the public, and get opinions on things.. be they good or bad... at least you get some idea as to what others think. :thumb:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Just to answer a few of your questions:

Q: Why can't Tyrone do what Snyder Township is saying it is going to do with that land ??

A: Tyrone does have many beautiful parks right now in the Borough. This property is inside of Snyder Township. About all we would do with the land is sell it sometime.

Q: Common sense tells us that, YES, once I99 is completed... property values, land values, will also increase. If this 75 acres is sold to Snyder Township... aside from handshakes and thank you very much'es... what benefit will Tyrone, PA get from the sale ??

A: You are right property values may go up because of I-99. And if we sold now the benefits would just be that 1.) we sell the property not give it away, and 2.) We have no plans of developing this property right now or in the future. I believe the idea would be that a developer may come to us, hopefully, someday and want to develop the property. I think my thoughts were that since Sysder Township is interested in actually purchasing the property that 1.) we make some money off the sale and 2.) Both communities benefit from having a park in the upper part of Blair County.

Thanks My2Cents for your kind comments and your input into this subject. I really just want to get as much input as possible. Other Concilmembers mention many individules talking to them about the pros and the cons but I personally have not had any input, so I thought I would reach out even more by asking the forum users their opinion. Thanks Again.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I doubt the property value would go down after I-99 is completed. I guess the question is, how bad does Tyrone need the money gained from the sale. If you do not need the money, hold on to it. If you need the money now, even with the tax increase, then sell it off.

As for what Snyder Township does with it, that seems to be immaterial in the decision. It sounds like purely a financial reason to sell or hold on to it. Who is the Boro to sell land to anyone and say, we want fair market value and we are going to tell you what to do with the land. That just doesn't jive for me if I am spending my money.
Luke

Post by Luke »

My thought would be for the borough to find the cost of a parcel closer to the I99 Exit that is big enough for a hotel and garner enough money to purchase that parcel and then provide that location to a hotel. The hotel could then help with budget issues down the road by producing a revenue stream from the property at which there is none at the present time. The property could be sold on a 50 year mortgage to the hotel. The taxes generated and the commerce that would take place by having the hotel would help the community.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Now there's an idea. How about the Boro fairly trading 75 acres of land surrounded by Snyder Township for the equivalent (or less) acreage of Snyder Township land that is adjacent to the Boro?

That scenario could feasibly help both communities more in the long run.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Since I99 is almost completed there will be MORE people traveling thru the area or working in the area including State College. Why not use that area for a houseing development ?? OR... are you ready for this one ?? Let's get Tiger Woods to come in here and build a golf course of all golf courses... That would bring folks and money in from everywhere. Build a club house of all club houses, have miniture golf for the kids, and, as Luke mentioned above, build your hotel around that area. Have little rent-a-cabins, etc.ROFLOL... come on folks, tell me to stop dreaming or lets play ball. :lol: http://www.jaymorrish.com/courses2.htm I hope that site comes thru on here. :bluebounce:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:Now there's an idea. How about the Boro fairly trading 75 acres of land surrounded by Snyder Township for the equivalent (or less) acreage of Snyder Township land that is adjacent to the Boro?

That too, is a GREAT idea Bucktail. :P
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:I doubt the property value would go down after I-99 is completed. I guess the question is, how bad does Tyrone need the money gained from the sale. If you do not need the money, hold on to it. If you need the money now, even with the tax increase, then sell it off.

As for what Snyder Township does with it, that seems to be immaterial in the decision. It sounds like purely a financial reason to sell or hold on to it. Who is the Boro to sell land to anyone and say, we want fair market value and we are going to tell you what to do with the land. That just doesn't jive for me if I am spending my money.
The Borough is not in dyier need of the money....and on the second part...Snyder Township came to us to see if we would be interested in selling this unused property to them so they could develop a recreational space / park. They have not had any luck on their other lands at being able to keep the space open for just that purpose. Hope that adds a bit more to the puzzle...They came to us with what they had planned.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:Now there's an idea. How about the Boro fairly trading 75 acres of land surrounded by Snyder Township for the equivalent (or less) acreage of Snyder Township land that is adjacent to the Boro?

Being discussed already :D
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

One question... while I'm still thinking :? . Still, I do not know where this area is that we are talking about. I'm assuming it is out around Camp Anderson. These "windmills," are they still talking "windmills?" I hope not !! If so, will this have any influence on the matter?? :roll:
Luke

Post by Luke »

I think it is great that Snyder Township wants to develop this property. It will help the community. However, I really do think that since we have had the idea floating for quite a while about a hotel that we really need to see if we can find a parcel big enough for a hotel and then fund that purchase with the proceeds of that sale. Even better that the borough is not in dire need of funds as no unwise decisions should be reached as haste makes waste.

I do like the ideas being put forth here...hopefully something ingenious will arise!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:One question... while I'm still thinking :? . Still, I do not know where this area is that we are talking about. I'm assuming it is out around Camp Anderson. These "windmills," are they still talking "windmills?" I hope not !! If so, will this have any influence on the matter?? :roll:
I have not been up to the parcel myself...but I believe it is on the same road as the Sportsmans but not entirely sure...I am going to run up maybe this evening to see if I can find it. From what we have been told it is not going to be easy to develop there. Along the lines of the "windmills" that is still up in the air and in an entirely different part of the Borough. The proposed "windmills" are up 453 heading towards Janesville. So the two topics are completely unrelated.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks Bill :thumb:
Blain

Post by Blain »

Bill Latchford wrote:
My2Cents wrote:One question... while I'm still thinking :? . Still, I do not know where this area is that we are talking about. I'm assuming it is out around Camp Anderson. These "windmills," are they still talking "windmills?" I hope not !! If so, will this have any influence on the matter?? :roll:
I have not been up to the parcel myself...but I believe it is on the same road as the Sportsmans but not entirely sure...I am going to run up maybe this evening to see if I can find it. From what we have been told it is not going to be easy to develop there. Along the lines of the "windmills" that is still up in the air and in an entirely different part of the Borough. The proposed "windmills" are up 453 heading towards Janesville. So the two topics are completely unrelated.

No Bill, they are also talking about putting windmills in Van Scoyoc hollow, which is also the location of the land in question.

As for "trading" the borough-owned land for a parcel of township land adjacent to the borough, that may be an option only if the land is vacant and owned by the township. The word was going around that somebody floated the idea of the township annexing the area of the hospital and schools to the borough in exchange for the parcel on Van Scoyoc hollow. You can't do that without a ballot referendum.