Tyrone Success Story

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Tyrone Success Story

Post by My2Cents »

RHnF... We still have a lot of old buildings standing around awaiting their demise... it's a shame to see them stand there... it's a shame to see them go....sooner or later, however, they will be history. Like everything else, it takes time, planning, and $$$$.
If you should ever decide to come back here to stay, you can at least say that you have been out in that big world and you know there is life outside of TyronePA. So, if you do come back here, most likely, you really want to. That's what happened in my situation... I noticed how much the town was improving ( 30+ years ago, I didn't think I would ever live back here again)I liked what I saw and I am so glad to be back home again. There are quite a few folks in our town who have not ventured very far from here, for very long, in their whole life... they have no concept of what life is like out there in the world. Consequently, they have nothing to compare with, therefore, so much is taken for granted. We are very, very lucky to have all that we have in our community. Including all 4 seasons, beautiful mountains, and, beautiful scenery. You don't see this over there where the grass is suppose to be greener.
LKS

Post by LKS »

even though i live in the oberlin/steelton area and harrisburg is where i work, i sure do miss my home town and my family who live in tyrone.........would i love to go visit ???? ABSOLUTELY.......but my job doesn't allow it at this time........weekends are very short for me.........i do call my family at least twice or maybe 3 times a week just to stay in touch and see how they are doing........the holidays are soon approaching and my husband and i plan to visit the "hometown".........
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

The only problem that I see for me would be employment. I have been a nurse for 40 years and I still have a few years left in me.....lol. I really don't want to officially retire yet, but I've been reading about the situation with the hospital and their struggle to remain open so I seriously doubt they will be hiring. Even if they do, I would be a little leary of having to worry if and when I would be looking for another job at my age. Of course, my 2 children and 5 grandchildren all live in NC and if I'm miserable living 600+ miles from them here in FL, I also would be miserable living 600+ miles from them in PA. Maybe I'll just come back to Tyrone as a "ghost"...... :rofl: :shock:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Did you say your name was "Sylvia ?" :rofl:
RedhairNFreckles

:rofl: ....I'll have to see about going to the court house on Monday and changing my name.....gosh, how I would love to hear the rest of the story about that but Harlow's not talking.....
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

LKS wrote:even though i live in the oberlin/steelton area and harrisburg is where i work, i sure do miss my home town and my family who live in tyrone.........would i love to go visit ???? ABSOLUTELY.......but my job doesn't allow it at this time........weekends are very short for me.........i do call my family at least twice or maybe 3 times a week just to stay in touch and see how they are doing........the holidays are soon approaching and my husband and i plan to visit the "hometown".........
oberlin/steelton, now that brings back some memories, we had a great view of tmi in 79
LKS

Post by LKS »

my husband and i live 20 minutes from TMI
smboats

Post by smboats »

Ahh yes,TMI in 79, brings back memories of watching the sunrise over the stacks-and annoying people knocking on my door every few hours to tell me the evacuation route (which never happened) had been changed again!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

smboats wrote:Ahh yes,TMI in 79, brings back memories of watching the sunrise over the stacks-and annoying people knocking on my door every few hours to tell me the evacuation route (which never happened) had been changed again!
I was living in the DC area at the time. My cousin, her husband and children, were living nearby the TMI. I remember them mentioning that they may have to be evacuated and I was going to take them in. Long story short... basically, the govermental higher-ups panicked...sure, there should have been an evacuation. Back then, how do you get the word out to everybody in the area and mean it ??!! Like you said above, "annoying people were knocking on your door every few hours." :roll: Oh my, be glad they were knocking at your door... at least they tried with whatever they had to go with :ahh:. Besides though, can you imagine the grid lock and all the chaos that would have gone with it,IF, everybody in that entire area evacuated?? There weren't very many roads that could handle a mass evacuation... back then, (I'm guessing this route, I think it was 322.. sorry if I'm guessing it wrong) it took forever back then for me to even go visit them from DC, on a good day, because of all the road construction that took years to complete. That route, in itself, was a total mess!!! When TMI happened, people in that area were left on their own to do whatever they saw fit.... most weren't seeing or feeling a thing, nor, did some realize the consequences that could occur.... so they stayed. My cousin and her husband and kids came back here to Tyrone to visit my Mom that weekend. They didn't leave at the time... they had a beautiful home in a beautiful area and "the wind was not blowing their way" on that day. Anyway... what I'm getting to, it took approximately 20 years... both my cousin and her husband passed away with the Dx of Lymphoma. Not at the same time, but, within a few years of each other. Was this a coincidence that they both had the same Dx ?? I don't think so...... Gut feeling, I think that TMI thingy did them in overtime.
LKS

Post by LKS »

when i moved here 3 years ago, i knew TMI was in close proximity of my apartment on chambers hill and garden drive, then i married my husband a year ago on the 28th of this month and we moved closer to TMI........i still worry about the reactor and what to do.......
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

LKS wrote:when i moved here 3 years ago, i knew TMI was in close proximity of my apartment on chambers hill and garden drive, then i married my husband a year ago on the 28th of this month and we moved closer to TMI........i still worry about the reactor and what to do.......
At least you are aware of it. Plan now what you are going to do, if this should ever happen again (heaven forbid)... and don't hesitate to do it. The sooner you get out of Dodge, the better off you will be. Plan your routes, go opposite of the way the wind is blowing. Decide on a meeting place, in case you are seperated from your family. Many things can go wrong, of course... the biggest thing, if something like that should happen again, is to not panic.
LKS

Post by LKS »

should anything happen with TMI, my husbands company is based out of massachusetts, my daughter is in north carolina (charlotte) and of course my family is back home.......what would i choose a 9 hour trip to charlotte or an 8 hour trip to mattapoisett or a 2 hour drive to home........will choose home (tyrone).......living close to a nuclear plant is like living in the south in hurricane season.....will never know what happens..........
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

I have no trouble living close to TMI. Dh has worked in the nuclear field for 20+ years.
RedhairNFreckles

Not to change the subject a little, but today while dusting a bedroom I looked inside a basket holding some postcards. Keep in mind, this house I live in belonged to my parents and sister (for 48 years) until they all passed away, and I am still discovering little treasures here and there. I had a few extra minutes so I looked at the postcards for the first time after dusting them for the past 20 months! Most of them are from Tyrone, circa 1908-1912, according to the post marks! There are pictures from several streets and avenues all over town, "P.P.R.Y.M.C.A.", the old high school and jr. high school on Lincoln Ave., the papermill, "view looking towards the cemetary", etc. Many of the pictures have residents in them walking around on the street, the women wearing long dresses and hats, tailored men and their hats, horses and buggies in the background. Many streets show a trolley car going down the middle of them on the tracks! I also found several from Altoona, same circa. Also a bunch from Rochester, NY, where my sister was born. I have no idea where they came from, most of them have little notes written on the actual postcard but I don't recognize any of the names. It's pretty cool reading how very polite everyone was and the way they composed their sentences. Some had a little trouble with their spelling though...lol.
I just wanted to share this with my Tyrone friends, and I'm still so jazzed up about it, I'll never get to sleep tonight...... :zzz: :ahh:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:bluebounce: WOW !!! That's wonderful !!! I hope "someday" you find the right time, and the right person, to sell them to. Or, that you find time in your life to do the right thing with them. You absolutely have a treasure there :thumb: .