Tyrone Success Story

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
SoccerMom
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Tyrone Success Story

Post by SoccerMom »

I get so tired of hearing about people bashing Tyrone - no, not people on this board but people I talk to in the normal course of the day. If this town is so terrible, our school district is lacking, services and facilities are poor, and all the activities that are offered for our children are subpar, why do you live here??? This area has a lot to offer, and despite some people's uneducated beliefs, we are fortunate to be in one of the better school districts in the state:

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=10370

Instead of all the complaining, try working together to make it better! Again, I'm not refering to people on this board, its people I run across, mostly at my kids after school activities. I just had to vent today!
SANTEEO

Re: Tyrone Success Story

Post by SANTEEO »

SoccerMom wrote:I just had to vent today!
Go ahead and vent,lol. :rofl:

I personally thought the same thing many time's that you have.
Don't like it,then move.
Sometime's you think by the way they talk about Tyrone,it's a war zone.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

SoccerMom wrote:I get so tired of hearing about people bashing Tyrone - no, not people on this board but people I talk to in the normal course of the day. If this town is so terrible, our school district is lacking, services and facilities are poor, and all the activities that are offered for our children are subpar, why do you live here??? This area has a lot to offer, and despite some people's uneducated beliefs, we are fortunate to be in one of the better school districts in the state:

Instead of all the complaining, try working together to make it better! Again, I'm not refering to people on this board, its people I run across, mostly at my kids after school activities. I just had to vent today!

Tyrone is rich in culture. Most families in Tyrone are generational....this speaks volumes. People DO like the area. People are home town proud. I certainly, in my posts, am not bashing Tyrone. I was only addressing a fact. There is a drug problem in the town. ( And they are working hard at resolving this issue...Can't take that away from the local law enforcement ) I don't know of any town that is more proud or supportive of its scholastic achievements ... albeit academics or sports. Bucky Covington sings a song... "It's a different world" and those lyrics ring true. Maybe Moses Lee was on to something when he said.. De-Evolution. Hope I don't have to fight for bananas...lol.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I realize there is a serious drug problem in this town. Unfortunately, there is one in most towns. In my hometown, it may even be worse. I don't think by addressing this horrible problem, anyone is bashing the town. I just get tired of hearing people complain, and how nothing in the area is good enough for their child. Instead of coming to a board meeting (of any given activity for our youth) and making helpful suggestions, they go to Altoona or State College. How is that helping? I was talking to a mom last night about schools, and the first thing she says is she's anti-Tyrone. Where do you live? Tyrone she responds. Huh?

Then there's the neighbors who question me and different things were involved in, and say well such-and-such is better in Altoona, State College, etc., so we're going there. I try support local businesses and organizations as much as I can, otherwise everything will dry up and die. Is that what these people want? Just frustrating I guess. I need to grow some thicker skin.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Something to say wrote: Tyrone is rich in culture. Most families in Tyrone are generational....this speaks volumes. People DO like the area. People are home town proud.

Truer words were never spoken or written. I have only been a member of this forum since Jan.'07 but if anyone has read any of my posts, especially in the beginning, they are about as nostalgic and melancholy as they can get! During my childhood and early teens I practically lived with my grandparents who lived on Columbia Ave. I was born in Altoona, my late mom was born and raised in Tyrone, my grandparents the same, and my great-grandparents (Adams), and even the beloved Bicycle Harry was a distant relative. I am a Snyder and proud of it. But life sometimes isn't fair and my parents moved to FL in the early '60's, dragging my sister and me with them. I visited Tyrone many, many times for weeks at a time during the years that followed. After the passing of my grandparents, there were no reasons to come back for those wonderful visits. But, I still have never stopped loving Tyrone with all my heart! The people, the places, the very air.....even the smells of the papermill when it was going wide open....I loved it all and always will. Tyrone is a special place on earth, you people that still live there are so very fortunate. Oh yes, there are the problems that all similar towns face, even lovely Tyrone can't escape them. Neither has my small town in NC where I will be returning after I sell my parents house here in FL. But Tyrone is different and the words written above by Something to say really does says it all. I think that is what I always loved about Tyrone, the very core is where those generational roots thrive. Tyrone is solid. Tyrone is the "backbone" of what I'm made of....I love and miss you Tyrone, and always will!
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Very true!!! I feel exactly the same about Tyrone. I loved growing up in Tyrone and everything about it. Home is where the Navy sends us now but I sure do miss good 'ole Tyrone!!

Thank you RedhairNfreckles for your beautiful comment. :D It is nice to read positive stuff about where we came from!!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

SoccerMom wrote:I get so tired of hearing about people bashing Tyrone - no, not people on this board but people I talk to in the normal course of the day. If this town is so terrible, our school district is lacking, services and facilities are poor, and all the activities that are offered for our children are subpar, why do you live here??? This area has a lot to offer, and despite some people's uneducated beliefs, we are fortunate to be in one of the better school districts in the state:

I agree one hundred percent SoccerMom !!! Most of the ones complaining are the ones who would like to run the show but can't !! They are jealous of the ones who are running the show and doing a good job.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Why not come back and buy a house and use it for a vacation home? That way you have somewhere to come back to now and when you retire if you want to spend time back here.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Thanks for all the positive responses! I'm so glad to hear there are others who feel the same way as I about our little town. I agree with you My2cents, I think some of these comments stem from jeolousy and thier own insecurities. I really admire the people who are trying to do something help the youth in the community, like our mayor.
RedhairNFreckles

Luke, if you're talking to me, sometimes I think that is exactly what I need to do! I'll have to sell this house in FL first to get the moola...
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

RHnF... Has it been a while since you've been back this way ?? If so, you will be very surprised how nice things are starting to look around our little town. In our downtown, we have new sidewalks, new street lighting, Bradford Pear Trees planted along the streets. Along with many, many other additions throughout the town.... things have really improved immensely. Most of this was accomplished from the dedication, hard work, and perseverance of our previous Mayor, Mayor Stoner. She and her councel pulled this town back together... there for a while back in the 70's era it was slowly, but surely on the decline. We now have Mayor Kilmartin, he too is a very hard worker and dedicated inseeing our little town succeed.... along with the many things he is accomplishing, he is also doing wonders for the youth of this town. If anyone is ever heard saying "oh, there's nothing for the kids to do here" it's their own fault... for there is plenty to do.
Another good thing about our town... we are so fortunate to have good people in our community who are not swayed by the negatives when it comes time to cast their vote.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

My inlaws came to visit from VA this summer...for the first time. They live in a small town and were amazed at what they referred to as the "bustle" on the streets here in Tyrone. Sadly their town has seen its day...mom and pop shops are a thing of the past. There is no real business in their town anymore...kind of a shell of what once was. My mom in law said... My goodness...look at this little place..it seems to be thriving. We took them to Thelma's for breakfast ( where locals talk to each other across the tables while eating ) , toured the park, and they were thrilled with Soldiers Park ( decorated at the time of their visit--My father in law stopped the car dead on Lincoln, jumped out and took pictures. My apologies to anyone that nearly hit us that day...lol ). Point being: they felt "at home".
RedhairNFreckles

Yes, My2cents, I haven't been back since the early 90's. I still have cousins on Clay Ave. that I haven't seen since then although we talk on the phone occasionally. They don't travel so it would be up to me to make a trip. It sounds like Tyrone has really gottten bitten by the rejuvenation bug and that's a good thing for all. I hate to see our small towns "get swallowed by the big fish" so to say, and lose everything that appealed to the residents to make us want to live there in the first place. These Super-stores might have their place in the corporate world but it usually is at the expense of the small-time business owner. I've seen it happen at my home in NC too. Don't you love those Bradford Pear trees? In Franklin, NC we have them planted all around the courthouse and they always look nice, no matter what season it is.

Lol, something to say, I remember riding on Lincoln Ave. once with my grandfather when he busted right thru the stop sign on Lincoln (and 14th St. ??)! He never saw it.....yikes :eek: It was somewhere near Soldier's Park.

Maybe someday I'll get back up there for a visit at least. I would love to see Tyrone again and how wonderful it all must look. :thumb:
Beck

Post by Beck »

Tyrone is a great place to live. I guess I've been here so long that I take for granted the many things I would miss if I moved somewhere "strange".
I am sorry to hear that "the news agency" is going out of business. Hopefully the store won't stay empty for long!
billm

Post by billm »

it is a shame that local places go out of business

all the more reason to chose local business first when purchasing anything! sure, you can save a buck or two at walmart, but their profits don't help local economy. (not to mention the difference in gas you pay for driving there!)
there is another thread on here about bi-lo being so high on price. their economies of scale are quite different in their purchasing, but we should try to support them as much as we can - or we'll continue to see more empty business places and less opportunity for our youth to find local employment (and help keep their idle time to a minimum)!