Political discussion - Iraq

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Re: Political discussion - Iraq

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

Something to say wrote:
zapatista wrote:
Something to say wrote:...But when his agenda isn't in the best interest of those soldiers or the rest of us...it's our duty to ask questions.
How is honoring our commitment to help the Iraqi people rebuild their country not in our best interest?

Hmmm... Like I said earlier... I must be stupid. If our purpose in being over there is to help rebuild their country...then I'm way off base. I thought we sent soldiers into a hostile environment and I'm pretty sure this is being called "war." I didn't realize we went into Iraq as a good deed. I guess I can ask you the same question...how is honoring our commitment to help the Iraqi people rebuild their country in our best interest ? We are trillions of dollars in debt...and correct me if I'm wrong...but those oil rich countries aren't giving us a break in return for the good deeds.

I never saw Michael Moore's film either. I know nothing about Michael Moore. I only know that 9/11 rocked our world ... it made me think of how very fortunate we've been. For the first time ever, with the exception of Pearl Harbor...our security was shaken. People in this country came together...United and Ready for whatever else may come. Of course we all wanted revenge. I was terrified when we learned that they were producing weapons of mass destruction and I guess I was so caught up in our little world away from the rest of the world... that I was clueless that other people detested us for our way of life. Say what you will...that fact remains. Rebuild their country ... all is well I suppose. Deplete this country of all its resources...then sit back and watch how they repay us for our "good deeds". PERIOD.. I'm done.

Wow. You used over 200 words just to say "I dunno." - that's truely impressive!

In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote:
Something to say wrote:
zapatista wrote:
Something to say wrote:...But when his agenda isn't in the best interest of those soldiers or the rest of us...it's our duty to ask questions.
How is honoring our commitment to help the Iraqi people rebuild their country not in our best interest?

Hmmm... Like I said earlier... I must be stupid. If our purpose in being over there is to help rebuild their country...then I'm way off base. I thought we sent soldiers into a hostile environment and I'm pretty sure this is being called "war." I didn't realize we went into Iraq as a good deed. I guess I can ask you the same question...how is honoring our commitment to help the Iraqi people rebuild their country in our best interest ? We are trillions of dollars in debt...and correct me if I'm wrong...but those oil rich countries aren't giving us a break in return for the good deeds.

I never saw Michael Moore's film either. I know nothing about Michael Moore. I only know that 9/11 rocked our world ... it made me think of how very fortunate we've been. For the first time ever, with the exception of Pearl Harbor...our security was shaken. People in this country came together...United and Ready for whatever else may come. Of course we all wanted revenge. I was terrified when we learned that they were producing weapons of mass destruction and I guess I was so caught up in our little world away from the rest of the world... that I was clueless that other people detested us for our way of life. Say what you will...that fact remains. Rebuild their country ... all is well I suppose. Deplete this country of all its resources...then sit back and watch how they repay us for our "good deeds". PERIOD.. I'm done.

Wow. You used over 200 words just to say "I dunno." - that's truely impressive!

I could come back with a sarcastic remark like " wow..Im impressed you can count to 200" but I won't.
Something to say
MVP Member

OOPS....maybe I just did.

Zapatista makes it sound like we're the "American Resue Squad" that went into Iraq with a commitment to serve. I hope if the Red Cross ever has to help me out they leave their weapons at home.

( Zapatista)... I posted the above statement BEFORE I saw your response to me. Missed it somehow and I'm editing. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post in a civil manner. The clarity of your response has helped me see your point of view. Thanks.
Old Sgt
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Old Sgt »

My2cents and Zapatista have both relayed my thoughts better than I could have (or I'm too lazy too)
Zap- Thanks for some well thought out responses.
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

Old Sgt wrote:My2cents and Zapatista have both relayed my thoughts better than I could have (or I'm too lazy too)
Thanks, but I have to disagree with you.

Your remarks were far more valuable than anything I've contributed.

Everyone who's posted, have formed their opinions by reading articles in the newspapers or by watching reports on the daily news.
You've formed yours "in country", by dealing with the aftermath of the war up close.

The first hand account that you bring to the table informs this discussion and gives it depth.
It touches people on a personal level and carries a weight that "opinion" never will.

I look forward to reading your future contributions from "down range".

Take care of yourself and your soldiers.
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

Something to say wrote:
Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote: Wow. You used over 200 words just to say "I dunno." - that's truely impressive!
I could come back with a sarcastic remark like " wow..Im impressed you can count to 200" but I won't.

Well played. I admire your chutzpah.

What you lack in self restraint you make up for with self delusion.

In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Old Sgt wrote:My2cents and Zapatista have both relayed my thoughts better than I could have (or I'm too lazy too)
Thanks Sgt... without sounding self serving and trying my best to stay incogneto on this board because I do enjoy reading and posting my thoughts on here. I don't want anyone thinking any different of me because of what I am about to say... I am just an ordinary citizen now and I am no better than anyone else walking the streets of downtown Tyrone. I am proud to say I am retired from the United States Navy. I served 21 years and I would give anything to do it all over again. I was in during the Vietnam days. So, yes "OldSgt" from an old salt, I agree with Zap,your remarks are far more valuable than anyone who hasn't been there and done that. From an old salt, I know what you're saying... I know how exactly how you feel. The military has been my life and it will always be very, very special to me. I am quite sure you feel the same. :flag:
Something to say
MVP Member

Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote:
Something to say wrote:
Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote: Wow. You used over 200 words just to say "I dunno." - that's truely impressive!

Well played. I admire your chutzpah.

What you lack in self restraint you make up for with self delusion.

You made me chuckle...lol. You insulted me when I wasn't even talking to you in the first place, then you tell me I lack self restraint because I rose to the occasion...and if that wasn't enough you had to add I was self deluded. TOO FUNNY.
Let's talk about delusion. Let's talk about delusions of grandeur, CONAN. Your name and picture speaks volumes. Enough said.
Something to say
MVP Member

Old Sarge, Zap, and My2Cents... I apologise if I have offended the 3 of you in any way. Like I said in the previous post, Zap, you presented yourself and your opinion without being sarcastic or disparaging. It truly did open my eyes to a different perspective. Thank you.
Old Sarge...Thanks again for your service to this country. Our prayers will be with you and yours...take care.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say wrote:Old Sarge, Zap, and My2Cents... I apologise if I have offended the 3 of you in any way. Like I said in the previous post, Zap, you presented yourself and your opinion without being sarcastic or disparaging. It truly did open my eyes to a different perspective. Thank you.
Old Sarge...Thanks again for your service to this country. Our prayers will be with you and yours...take care.
Hey... that's no problem "something to say." This whole mess is so very frustrating and frightening... there definitely isn't a light at the end of this tunnel, and, at this stage of the game, it makes one wonder if there ever will be. All that you mentioned is apprapo... what you are saying/asking is what the majority of the country is saying/asking right now. Even if folks disagree with what we did, how we did it and what we are doing now... we still have to try to accept the fact that all has happened for a reason. I'm sure it will be years before we learn the real truth of what is really going on over there and why. We have to try with all our might to do whatever it takes to never let a war be fought inside our country. We cannot afford to leave our guard down. "They" are trying to weaken us, they are trying to turn us away from our leaders.... they are sitting back and watching our society become disrespectful and drug ridden.... they know our economy is bad... they know we are spending a lot of money on this war, they know what we are starting to think of our leaders...this is what they want and it's working. As I mention before, the saying... united we stand, divided we fall is sooo very true. They have been knocking on our door, throughout the world, since the TWA affair years ago and we have hardly been paying attention. On 9/11 they didn't even knock, they came right in.... we can never allow that to happen again. Once society loses faith in it's leaders no matter what society in this world... it is on the road to destruction. Be glad we are free and not living under a dictatorship.Thank God we as a country can impeach if we have to.... and thank God, we as a nation, are free to select and vote for the person we think will do the best job. It's easy to say bring the troops back... but, for many reasons we can't right now. Another thing... they are using the old excuse to put us down and undermine us by saying we went there because they had WMD... we went there in vein because we didn't find any WMD... that's not so....they "were" there.... they were moved. Whew enough. Bottom line "something to say" you are saying and thinking what most of the country is saying and thinking right now. Just don't lose faith in the mission and keep in mind there are many dedicated individuals, with their life on the line, who have volunteered to serve in our military to protect and defend our country and all that it stands for. We owe them big time. :flag:
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

A friend of my was telling me her daddy always told her that this country will destruct from the inside out.