Lockdown at Highschool

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
SoccerMom
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Lockdown at Highschool

Post by SoccerMom »

Anyone hear anything about a lockdown at the highschool yesterday? I saw some police cars by the school, just wondering if someone on here knows. There's been bomb threats at both State High and Bald Eagle within the last week, two at each I believe. Its pretty scarey to have kids in school these days.
sissy31696

Re: Lockdown at Highschool

Post by sissy31696 »

My daughter is in middle school and just called me and said they are in lock down AGAIN!!!!
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

What is going on? Do they tell you anything, or is it just a recorded message? I'm concerned too, because I have two in the elemtary school, right next door. Let us know if you hear more, praying that its nothing major.
Meaux

Post by Meaux »

Well, I actually do know some information and I don't have kids in school. My quest this morning was to see if there was any media coverage...none in print or TV.

What I heard from my "sources" is this. There was a threat of violence received by a female student via cel phone telling her not to go to school as there was going to be a shooting this week. Then there were allegedly two emails received by other students. What the emails stated I do not recall.

There was a lock-down yesterday lasting for an hour and 10 minutes, I was told. The State Police were on site. The building was searched. The State Police are investigating. That's all I've got.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Tyrone rumors lead to early holiday break
POSTED: November 15, 2007

Tyrone Area School District Superintendent William Miller said Thursday morning that persistent unfounded rumors of a planned school shooting at the middle and high schools has given the district no choice but to close early for the Thanksgiving holiday. Students will finish out the day today and the holiday will begin tomorrow.

More than 20 students have been searched and the school has taken precautions, including bringing in seven state troopers Thursday morning to ensure student and staff safety. In light of the ongoing rumors the scheduled Class AA playoff game between Tyrone and Central Cambria has been changed to 1 p.m. Saturday at Altoona's Mansion Park.

The high school and middle school were locked down Wednesday after rumors circulated regarding a weapon in the school. The lockdown lasted about one hour.

Mirror reporters are working on a story for Friday's newspaper.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Just called school, and It has been confimred

- no school until the 27th
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

And this just in from the CDT:

"Threatening message prompts PV high school evacuation
Penns Valley High School was evacuated this morning, and all students sent to the intermediate school building across the street, after a threatening note was found on a stall in a girls bathroom, school officials said.

District officials contacted state police, who have looked through the building and found nothing, according to the superintendent's office. However, the note specified that something would happen at noon, so as a precaution the school plans to keep the student at the intermediate school until about 12:15 p.m., according to a school official."

That's four local high schools where there has been bomb threats or school shooting threats in the last week. All he!! has broken loose.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

There seems to be a lot of copy-catting going on with these types of things:

State College SD

Bald Eagle Area SD

Penns Valley SD

Tyrone Area SD

and out of the area ... Greencastle-Antrim SD in Franklin county which has had 3.

All 5 have had instances occur within the past 2 weeks.
10-81

Post by 10-81 »

Schools are eventually going to have to make a decision to stand firm and continue with class or give in to the threats. These types of incidents are not unique to central Pennsylvania, but are a problem nationwide. Districts have to balance the danger to the students with the potential repeat threats. When kids learn that a threat gets a longer vacation, they will want more. Real school violence is extremely rare and giving in to the threats often seems more harmful to parents than students.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Other schools in the area kept their doors open the next day. I don't understand why we're closed for three days. The other incidences all involved written notes or verbal messages on cell phones. Ours was just based on unsubstantiated rummors, no written notes or anything. So, now we have three days to make up already, and we're not even into winter yet. Keep in mind, this is the superintendent who also cancels school anytime the temperature dips below 20 degrees (meanwhile neighboring schools districts are in session). So, a few more threats (and there will be more, now that the kids know it will get them out of school), plus a few cold days... Its going to be a long year.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

SoccerMom wrote:Other schools in the area kept their doors open the next day. I don't understand why we're closed for three days. The other incidences all involved written notes or verbal messages on cell phones. Ours was just based on unsubstantiated rummors, no written notes or anything. So, now we have three days to make up already, and we're not even into winter yet. Keep in mind, this is the superintendent who also cancels school anytime the temperature dips below 20 degrees (meanwhile neighboring schools districts are in session). So, a few more threats (and there will be more, now that the kids know it will get them out of school), plus a few cold days... Its going to be a long year.
You can't be to cautious anymore... ask the people of Jonesboro, Ark, Columbine, Col, and at Virginia Tech.
shamrock

Post by shamrock »

As an educator (live in Tyrone, work in another district) I can understand being cautious..... these days you have to be. I can understand the kids being sidetracked from this whole thing for a few days and it being hard to keep them on task...... then again it is the holiday season they won't be on task again until January....lol. I do think closing for 3 days may have been pushing it a bit. Unless they aren't telling us everything......which I am betting is the case. You don't totally change they location of a game, let alone a PLAYOFF game without good reason. There is no reason this game couldn't have been played as a day game here in Tyrone. This was more than just rumors. Lets just hope this time they have the school shut down takes care of the problem.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I agree you need to be cautious, but I think closing for three days was pushing it also. They could have closed the school Friday, and sent everyone back on Monday. That would have given them three days to conduct searches, interviews with students, etc. It would have also given everyone a 3-day cooling off period. It does make you wonder if more was going on than the Superintendant was telling. If it was more, I would like to know.

I also think the football game could've played in Tyrone this afteroon, but then again, maybe we weren't being told the whole truth.
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

I heard people talking about a scuffle between what they call the goth and jocks, any clue this might be true, since the football game was changed????
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sissy31696 wrote:I heard people talking about a scuffle between what they call the goth and jocks, any clue this might be true, since the football game was changed????
:huh: I got the "jock" part ( I think ) but, what's the "goth" part ?? Combining them both... what is that suppose mean ??
Jeeze, in my day it was...
"When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way,
From your first cigarette 'til your last dying day."

That took place on Broadway not Clay avenue.