Lockdown at Highschool

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sissy31696
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Lockdown at Highschool

Post by sissy31696 »

Goth = gothic, the kids dress in all black, wear black makeup, mascara, lips, like marilyn manson, and could we say sort of like the 2 boys at columbine, they were dressed in long black coats.

It was supposed to be a fued between the 2 groups.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sissy31696 wrote:Goth = gothic, the kids dress in all black, wear black makeup, mascara, lips, like marilyn manson, and could we say sort of like the 2 boys at columbine, they were dressed in long black coats.

It was supposed to be a fued between the 2 groups.
WOW, thanks for the Re: and the explanation. This doesn't sound good "sissy." Are these kids allowed to dress this way and attend school ?? I wonder if these kids even know the history of the individuals they are trying to mimic ?? If these children are dressing like this, and going to school like this.... I believe they, and the parents, should be addressed by the school authorities. Maybe I'm just showing my age....I know there are definately MANY, MANY, good, good, kids out there in our community that we are VERY PROUD of. It is too bad that our society is slowly, but surely, coming to, and having to deal with, something like this this. I don't know if it's too late to turn it all around or not. I wager a bet that most of these kids dressing like this and acting like this are good kids and they are just doing this to draw attention to themselves.
P.S. As I mentioned above... I thought I knew the "jock" part... guess I don't . So I have to ask... Who's the "jocks" in this picture ???
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

Jocks, probably the same as when u went to school

Jocks=sports

maybe the reason for the change of venue for the football game????? :eek:

I am not sure if the goths are allowed to dress this way, but my guess if they are it needs to be stopped. Do you guys all remember the girl that got suspended over her hair color? All the black would be enough to distract anyone...lol

Yes, some of these kids are probably good kids, just trying to find themselves, whether it be the way they dress, act or talk, but sometimes things need to be addressed!!!

How many of you have been at the school other than WED or THURS to pick up your kids? I was there THURS, and the security if you asked me sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kids were being buzzed in, upon entering the main office, none of them signed in, and none of the staff acknowledged them or asked them where or to they were goin, and off they went into the main building. WHAT THE HECK KIND OF SECURITY IS THAT????? ALL THIS WHILE THE SCHOOL WAS JUST LIFTED OFF OF A LOCKDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :huh:
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I talked to an administrator from the Bellwood-Antis school district over the weekend, and he said in his opinion, the situation was handled very poorly by our administration. He said they handle things differently there, pointing to an incident over students wearing "g*y rights" and " straight rights" t-shirts and how they nipped it in the bud before it got out of hand (threats of violence, etc.).

Anyway, I heard it was several members of the football team fighting over a chair with group of the goth kids, some of which are rumored to be homosexual. Apparently, sexual orientation played a factor in the incident. Name calling? I don't know.

I know I don't feel confindent in how this situation was "resolved" and am somewhat dreading the return to school on Nov. 27. I hope I'm wrong and nothing more happens.
shamrock

Post by shamrock »

I have to say that I know a few of the "GOTH" kids and they are good kids and good students......yes, some of them are even "jocks" and very talented ones....all come from very good families. I can't imagine the group of kids I know making any kind of trouble. They dress alittle different but other than that ,no makeup,no freaky hair, just black clothing. Then again the kids I know the kids that are being picked on maybe two different groups of GOTHS. But I have heard the same story by more than one person.... That some of the so called jocks have been relentlessly picking on other kids. I don't care if they are jocks,nerds,goths,special ed, or the smartest kid in the class.....
why is it happening? We have the Bully stuff shoved down our throats but nobody seems to be fallowing through with it. Talk to the kids ,they will tell you what goes on. Some of these kids can be very harsh on others and it can hurt deeply. I have seen it in the eyes of a kid that has been picked on and most kids don't have the maturity to just let it roll off. Heck I know alot of adults that can't...........
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

If I must say, non of this sounds good and it should be stopped. This could get way out of hand if it's not. Even the idea of having titles such as "goths" and "jocks." These "titles" should be shredded immediately and never addressed. These are kids attending school period... and they must comply to the school rules and regulations.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

I just received an automated phone call around 11am from Superintendent William Miller stating that on Tuesday there would be restricted access to the high and middle schools.

Metal detectors will be used, and they are strongly revisiting the cell phone policy (I interpret that to mean ban).
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I think metal detectors are a great idea, but thought they should've kept that part a surprise for the kids when they get there. I think at all the other school districts they've caught who was behind the threats, maybe this would've helped.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

SoccerMom wrote:I think metal detectors are a great idea, but thought they should've kept that part a surprise for the kids when they get there. I think at all the other school districts they've caught who was behind the threats, maybe this would've helped.
I think their goal is deterrence. They don't want them coming to school with guns, knives, etc. Kids aren't dumb enough to stand in a line to get into a school when they didn't have to before and let items be found. They would just turn around and leave and put them somewhere else.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

They should enact a school uniform. Oviously the classifications and labels are not going to be removed, such as Goths and such. Make them all dress the same and eliminate the classifications.
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

To those of you that are concerned, you can read the statement that was a recorded message left on Wednesday to area middle and high school students here: .http://www.tyrone.k12.pa.us/

The message did go on to say that security at the elementary school will be unchanged.

I might be takin a bit of a leep here, but maybe this is why the school was closed for 3 days. But if all this was just rumors, then why install metal detectors, close the school, and change the location of the Football game. Usually when you add 1 + 1 you get 2, but for some reason I am not counting on this coming out to 2 :stick:
Bock

metal detectors

Post by Bock »

Putting together a follow up article over the weekend and I am interested in the opinions of parents and students about the installation of the metal detectors. Feel free to give me a call at 946-7446 and leave your name and number so I can get back to you. I'm also at 684-1871, but keep in mind it's my home so please don't call too late. I have the administration's line, but I want to hear from regular folks.

Thanks for those who responded to my call for opinions about the windmills, and I'm still open to those, too.

Regards,
Greg Bock
staff writer, Altoona Mirror
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

sissy31696 wrote:To those of you that are concerned, you can read the statement that was a recorded message left on Wednesday to area middle and high school students here: .http://www.tyrone.k12.pa.us/

The message did go on to say that security at the elementary school will be unchanged.

I might be takin a bit of a leep here, but maybe this is why the school was closed for 3 days. But if all this was just rumors, then why install metal detectors, close the school, and change the location of the Football game. Usually when you add 1 + 1 you get 2, but for some reason I am not counting on this coming out to 2 :stick:
Sissy, I think what the Administration is doing is trying to minimize any future threat. While this may or may not have been rumor, they are considering that if someone does come into school with a weapon, its too late after the fact to bring in metal detectors. I don't think we can fault them for making an attempt to protect.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The unfortunate thing in this is the fact that this has probably been perpetuated by a handful of kids whose goal is to drop out of school and disrupt life as we know it. They ARE the local terrorists and should be dealt with accordingly. The local authorities should use every effort to apprehend this/these thugs and punish them severely.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Good article in the Mirror. Thanks Greg.

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=742