Soup Tasting Competition Cancelled

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Soup Tasting Competition Cancelled

Post by banksy »

It's a shame that with 30 local restaurants contacted and recontacted in the Tyrone area that the Soup Tasting Competition had to be canceled. Local eateries should be ashamed that they could not find the time to participate in such an event.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: Soup Tasting Competition Cancelled

Post by Something to say »

banksy wrote:It's a shame that with 30 local restaurants contacted and recontacted in the Tyrone area that the Soup Tasting Competition had to be canceled. Local eateries should be ashamed that they could not find the time to participate in such an event.

LOL...speaking of soup. Earlier this week we stopped at OIP downtown and their special of the day was...... Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese. $8.50. Drink not included. Quick calculation here at home...tomato soup... $.99, 20 grilled cheese sandwiches... $5.50. There were 2 of us...if my calculations are correct... I could make 2 sandwiches and 2 bowls of soup for $2.43. That's $6.07 profit on a bowl of TOMATO SOUP AND A GRILLED CHEESE.

We went out for our Traditional Thanksgiving dinner ( ham and turkey) with all the trimmings and everything homemade. Served Family Style...all you can eat...14.95 per person...brought home 5 take-out containers of left overs. Had reservations...waited 20 minutes on a table...and I don't know how they made any profit on that meal...I guess quantity .....the place was packed.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

8.50 for grilled cheese and tomato soup, without the drink? That should be the special of the day. It sounds more like the robbery of the day. I can't imagine any diner, restaurant serving tomato soup and grilled cheese for $8.50 let alone a corner pizza shop.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

There was a couple of soup tastings at churches that were cancelled too. I don't think restaurants were participating in those though. I always thought the turnout for soup tastings was good, in State College anyway.

That is an outragous price for toasted cheese and a sandwhich! Can't you get a whole pizza for that much?
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Cripes.. anyone who'd pay that price for that special has more money than brains.
Something to say
MVP Member

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:Cripes.. anyone who'd pay that price for that special has more money than brains.

We ordered drinks...only...then left. The waitress was appalled. She still got her tip though...lol. So.... 2 sodas..$4.78 including the tip. We eat out once a week... I'd sure love to give Tyrone the business, but burger king and even East End Hoagies, dare I say, get old after awhile. SOMEONE please open a family friendly eatery downtown. :eek:
Something to say
MVP Member

banksy wrote:8.50 for grilled cheese and tomato soup, without the drink? That should be the special of the day. It sounds more like the robbery of the day. I can't imagine any diner, restaurant serving tomato soup and grilled cheese for $8.50 let alone a corner pizza shop.

..LOL...tell me about it. I was looking around for Chef Gordon Ramsey. Thought maybe the tomatoes were organic and hand squeezed...lol.
Something to say
MVP Member

SoccerMom wrote:There was a couple of soup tastings at churches that were cancelled too. I don't think restaurants were participating in those though. I always thought the turnout for soup tastings was good, in State College anyway.

That is an outragous price for toasted cheese and a sandwhich! Can't you get a whole pizza for that much?

I was afraid to look at the pizza prices...lol.
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

Has anyone tried Thelma's Cafe, where Hullihen's & way back Fox's used to be?

Yes, I do believe Tyrone is in need of new restaurants IN TOWN. And might I add something other than a new pizza shop would be nice.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

sissy31696 wrote:Has anyone tried Thelma's Cafe, where Hullihen's & way back Fox's used to be?
I have. They make a good club sandwich.

:thumb:
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

sissy31696 wrote:
Yes, I do believe Tyrone is in need of new restaurants IN TOWN. And might I add something other than a new pizza shop would be nice.

I've been thinking about moving back to Tyrone and opening a hoagie shop on Columbia Ave......... :twisted: