Support New Business

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Randykirkpatrick
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Support New Business

Post by Randykirkpatrick »

Can Tyrone support another Barber Shop. Walk - in only? I am thinking about moving home and opening a barber shop. I have been an Barber for 12 years and think it's time to come home.

Thank you
Randy Kirkpatrick
http://www.carlislebarber.com
http://www.intownsalon.com
Thank you

Randy Kirkpatrick

Luke

Re: Support New Business

Post by Luke »

Actually I think it would be a good idea to have a thread about what New Businesses the residents of Tyrone would support. Who knows perhaps if we develop a wish list then folks will come to serve those needs. This phenomena called visualization might actually work in Tyrone. As far as a walk in barber shop I think there is a market but a house call business to help folks who can't get out might be worthwhile too.
nerf1225

Post by nerf1225 »

I would like an honest-to-god real New York style deli with Boar's Head meats, plus good bagels, soups (I'd kill for a good black bean or lentil soup around here), and good artisan breads. I'm sick of turkey loaf at Sheetz or Subway and I'm not a 'hoagie' kind of girl (and hence could care less about the hoagie wars). Haven't had a really great sandwich since I moved back here. And where can I get decent bagels?
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

nerf1225 wrote:I would like an honest-to-god real New York style deli with Boar's Head meats, plus good bagels, soups (I'd kill for a good black bean or lentil soup around here), and good artisan breads. ...... And where can I get decent bagels?
:thumb:

Put me down for that, and a good in-town bakery again!
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Mommamoo

Post by Mommamoo »

I know alot of hicks in Tyrone that think that to make a haircut appt. is not something men should have to do, so I think that a walk in barber shop would work well.
Because He Lives
Randykirkpatrick

Mommamoo wrote:I know alot of hicks in Tyrone that think that to make a haircut appt. is not something men should have to do, so I think that a walk in barber shop would work well.
I don't think that is a fair statment. I am from Tyrone and I'm not a hick. I moved away and have great luck in the hair business. Sure there are some that are set in the old ways, but not hicks...

Randy Kirkpatrick
http://www.intownsalon.cm
Thank you

Randy Kirkpatrick

Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

Randykirkpatrick wrote: .... Sure there are some that are set in the old ways, but not hicks...

I agree. Some people can be very thoughtless.

There are so many more accurate terms like bumpkin, clodhopper, hayseed, hillbilly or rube.

In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Tell you the truth, I'd love to see something in Tyrone other than another pizza shop or pharmacy. Maybe something can happen being the new highway is opened up and more traffic coming through to stop by and shop.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Shop where?
Meaux

Post by Meaux »

Mr. K...in my opinion a barber shop would probably be supported. The old-timers (Doodle, Sessaman, etc) are all gone. There is a new shop in the Kopp Drug building at 14th & Logan and the one on PA Ave across from Rite-Aid. All the hair dressers in town are busy (you've GOT to have an appointment) so even with a small population there are heads of hair to be cut.

Would you do women's haircuts also?

You should look at getting in a PA Ave storefront, have a coffee bar and become the new town center...where men come to hang-out; talk about gas prices, the Golden Eagles, wind farms, etc...and little kids get their first haircut...and women come to get their bangs trimmed.

I'd support your business.
Randykirkpatrick

Yes we would do woman. My wife is a cosmo. and would be also working with me down the road.
Thank you

Randy Kirkpatrick

150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Seriously Randy, I lived in the Cumberland county (Shippensburg area)/Franklin county (Chambersburg area) region for almost 8 years, and I can't imagine why the heck you would want to leave that economically growing and rich area to come back to this economically poor area based on retail sales that is one of the worst statisically in the state of Pennsylvania.

Honestly, I give my wife h*ll weekly about moving back to this area. And now, even she admits it was a mistake. The only positive is the number of older family members we still have here that can babysit our kids sometimes.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Did you say cosmetologist? I'm there! Anyway, I know my husband would be a customer. He's the type that wakes up and decides he needs a hair cut RIGHT NOW! Plus, his hair grows fast and he likes to keep it short, so he needs a trim about every three weeks.

Personally, I like living in this area. Its relatively quiet, we have an excellent school system and there is plenty for kids to do. Also, the living is cheap! If you have family in the area still, that's another plus. Good luck to you!
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Bucktail, I understand what you are saying. My husband has a business on the side, and he could be making much more in another area. But, I guess it depends on what your priorities are and where you are in life.
Randykirkpatrick

Well to tell you the truth my Father is in his 80's and not in the best of health and Mother is 70's and will need help soon. With the prices of homes in this area I need $250,000 to buy what would cost $50,000 or $60,000. And the nice thing with barbering is I can do it anywhere.
Thank you

Randy Kirkpatrick