Peachey for Supt??

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
caddis

Re: Peachey for Supt??

Post by caddis »

If she goes and gets her credits with her OWN money. If and when she gets them, MAYBE. Now NO!!!!!

BTW: Wasn't she tied into the John Black mess?
no-it-all
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by no-it-all »

Banksy,
OK Here's a couple more facts. Voting record. http://obama.senate.gov/votes/index.cfm?start=401 Voted against earmark reform. against individual states setting their own minimum wage standards,... Voted for 2 bills Dec 13 that were environmental issues to puff his own campaign, but didn't vote on anything else that day or the rest of the week, for that matter he voted on less than 10% of the issues from 9/20/07 til the new year, including no votes on anything to do with middle East Topics and he did vote against easier access to affordable health care. There's enough facts and reasons not to vote for him. And I got that off of his campaign website. Plus I still think he's the anti-christ.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Boy this is going a bit off track.

But I can simplify it all for you guys.

ALL the candidates SUCK!
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

Yeah, lets stay on topic; don't wanna get this one locked because some started off topic.Anyone else?Any thoughts on the topic of Cathy Im-Peachy?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

no-it-all wrote:Banksy,
OK Here's a couple more facts. Voting record. http://obama.senate.gov/votes/index.cfm?start=401 Voted against earmark reform. against individual states setting their own minimum wage standards,... Voted for 2 bills Dec 13 that were environmental issues to puff his own campaign, but didn't vote on anything else that day or the rest of the week, for that matter he voted on less than 10% of the issues from 9/20/07 til the new year, including no votes on anything to do with middle East Topics and he did vote against easier access to affordable health care. There's enough facts and reasons not to vote for him. And I got that off of his campaign website. Plus I still think he's the anti-christ.
What's your point? I clearly stated there may be good reasons not to vote for him, I was just pointing out that you incorrectly tried to tie him to being a Muslim and taking his oaths of office on the Koran. Your quote should have started "Here is a fact" not some "more facts" since your original statements where not facts at all.

I'm personally still undecided and leaning toward Huckabee at this stage of the game, but I think there is more upside to Obama than Hillary. We need to have better world relations in the Middle East, whether people like it or not, and sending a female President into a Muslim nation most likely will not help the situation.
nerf1225

Post by nerf1225 »

I am just amazed that the school board would allow and encourage such a ridiculous thing. Really. I have nothing against this person (don't know her or of her) but the woman is not qualified to be superintendent. It's just that simple. And WHY would the school board encourage her before they initiate a national search for actual, qualified candidates? If we were desperate with no candidates and no prospects for candidates, that is one thing. But we're not. This is Bill Miller trying to control the future (and secure a legacy job for a 'close' friend, if the rumors I've heard for years are true). And if they hire this woman over other, actually qualified candidates, I hope one of them sues and takes the whole foolish board for all they're worth. She has never taught a day in a classroom and never will and she should stick to her numbers and let people who have not only OBSERVED and TAKEN CLASSES in education but actually done the hard work in the classrooms and know from experience what teaching and education is about to lead the school district.

I mean, are you kidding me? I'm a certified high school teacher (currently staying home with my 2 year old) and taught in a major metropolitan school district before moving back here and I will have a child entering school about the time Miller retires and this is a travesty. As a teacher, I would have NO respect for a superintendent that had never taught (never loved education enough to teach, never been in the 'trenches' so to speak and learned about educating kids while, oh I don't know, EDUCATING KIDS!) and needed a special waiver for unqualified people just to apply for the job. The difference between 'observing' in classrooms and actually having your own classroom year in and year out is insurmountable. You cannot learn how to educate by observing. Every teacher knows this because they have experienced it. You must learn to educate by doing it and, without doing it, this woman has no personal authority to lead from and no real idea about what it takes to teach and help students learn. Also, I would be very wary of taking a job in a district where the superintendent was hired on a 'special waiver', assuming such a district had low standards and that the superintendent would not understand the problems faced by teachers and students in the classroom.

This is the kind of thing that happens in this town and embarrasses me about being from Tyrone and the kind of thing I tell my friends out there in the real, professional world about and we roll our eyes and talk jokingly about how close I live to West Virginia (no offense meant toward West Virginia...it's looking more cosmopolitan all the time, I'll tell you). This town deserves better than a school board that would vote to consider hiring a woman who is UNQUALIFIED for the job. They deserve better than a woman who needs special treatment to even apply. And the KIDS in the school deserve better than a superintendent who didn't think educating them was important enough to actually do for a living. Hire a teacher, an educational leader, for heaven's sake. How can you possibly justify hiring a financial person and not a career educator? What's next? The secretary down the hall wants to apply? (no offense intended to the secretaries, who may be just as qualified as Ms. Peachey for the job.)

Educational leadership is about more than moving money around or sitting in on 'problem sessions' with the current superintendent and I certainly hope the school board will open its eyes and require the same thing from its leader as it does from its students -- that they meet ALL THE STANDARDS that are required of them by the state and country. Those standards, those requirements, exist for a reason -- to provide the best possible training and preparation for the leaders in our school systems so that those leaders can lead effectively, creatively, and from the deep experience of actual teaching. If our children have to pass their NCLB tests to keep our schools going and our teachers have to meet rigid and highly regulated state requirements to teach and be 'highly qualified' by NCLB, the least we could offer our students is a superintendent who managed to meet every qualification required of her, instead of one who needed to have those requirements waived because of her inadequacy.

I am disgusted. I sincerely hope that this town will not stand for this and demands better for our children, our teachers, our school staff, and ourselves. When is the next school board election?

P.S. Will those of you doing the political discussions on this thread please start another thread so that the School Board and community leaders can read this thread solely for community feedback about this situation? Thanks!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

WOW !!! Thank you nerf1225... it can't get much better than that... well said !!!
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

What gives the current "super" the right to "appoint" anyone to this job??? He can't APPOINT anyone for this. This position needs to be advertised and the BEST person should be hired for this job!! It's that simple!!! I am new to this town and already have been quite un-nerved by a few things....this is at the top of the list! Any openings on the school board coming up any time soon?? I think we need some fresh thinkers that aren't "good old boys" with the town folk.
caddis

Post by caddis »

I think the people of this school district need to get envolved and make sure Dr.Miller doesn't get to hand select his replacement. I think that for one he needs to be reminded who his real boss is the TAX PAYERS. I think you will find once they do advertise for the position that many qualified people will apply. I think that these uprisings by the taxpayers that are happening in Snyder Township and even against our State government( against there pay raise )is a good thing that finally the voice of the people is being heard .I think that anybody holding public office are going to get the message that what they do will be seen and heard by the taxpayers and if it is something that seems shady or wrong by many standards, that the people will stand up against them and they will no longer be voted into public office.So when the school board vote comes again we need to clean house and put some new faces in office with fresh new ideas and not someone who just goes along with the status quo.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I believe a new board was just voted in. I heard awhile ago that Supt. Miller was waiting for his son to get qualified to takeover where pops left off....true story....I guess it wasn't so.
caddis

Post by caddis »

Anne- correct me if I am wrong but the school board is pretty much made up of the same people that have been there for years. Change is a good thing and there are alot of talented people who live in this boro that could do as good a job or better than the current board we have now.I think that the wavier vote proved that Dr.Miller has the board on his coat tails with the exception of 1 person and thats not good in my opinion.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Hey, I'm your side. I'm sure there is a great pool of qualified people to serve on the school board. Unfortunately, the same people get voted in year after year. Thus, there is no change or better yet, no progress. I agree with you on the coat tails issue also. Miller should have no say in who his replacement should be. Qualified outsiders would be the best candidates. Just my opinion. Change is good, progress is great.
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

Qualified yes, but outsiders, not necessarily. Not hiring local folks is one of the major problems I have with the current administration. I could name more than a dozen "born and raised Tyrone kids" that are teaching in Altoona, Bellwood,State College, Huntingdon, and outside the state because they couldn't get hired at home. Now if you look at the pay-scale for all of the local school districts you would see Tyrone is in the bottom 3; translation, many wanted to teach here but are now making more money somewhere else.So if they were qualified and hired to teach in the State college's and Altoonas' of the world, chances are they were probably more qualified than the ones currently doing the job. I don't favor the move they made, nor would I want to see them hire the person in question, but at least don't go outside the system for someone if there is a Tyrone person qualified for the job.
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

Bottom line is ADVERTISE the position and hire the best applicant. That's how it's done. It's that simple. Period turn the page....

MIller CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to Appoint anyone to this position. We need to ATTEND the school board meetings and voice our opinion....2nd Tuesday of every month! See you there!
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

By outsider, I mean outside of the " inner circle", Someone who is not going to be a yes man or woman to the school board and vise versa. Qualified applicant, that works for me.