Sewage Treatment Plant mandate

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Luke
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Sewage Treatment Plant mandate

Post by Luke »

This may sound like a stupid question but where does the sewage of the folks in the Little Juniata River Association end up? Do they have untreated septics or are they connected to a sewage system that meets these high standards? Just wondering? I mean after all we all have sewage to rid ourselves of and there are only so many options.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Luke wrote:This may sound like a stupid question but where does the sewage of the folks in the Little Juniata River Association end up? Do they have untreated septics or are they connected to a sewage system that meets these high standards? Just wondering? I mean after all we all have sewage to rid ourselves of and there are only so many options.
- I would assume that they utilize a waste water treatment facility like most do and will share in the expense of the needed upgrades to meet these new unfunded regulations.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I am so glad there was an "answer" out there regarding the fish kill. It's too bad that it happened, and it's too bad that a fine had to be imposed... however, sooner or later something had to give since this has been happening off and on over time....If only there could be some type of assurance that this will never happen again. What will it take for this not to happen again ??
Luke

Post by Luke »

You mean all the folks in Spruce Creek etc have a treatment facility? I hope that is true...that would be good for the river.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Luke wrote:You mean all the folks in Spruce Creek etc have a treatment facility? I hope that is true...that would be good for the river.
A sewage treatment plant at Spruce Creek would bring with it increased residential development that would cause a lot of degradation of the Spruce Creek watershed. There are more pounds of fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides used per acre of manicured lawn than there are per acre of farmland. In addition, flooding would increase due to more impervious surface resulting in greater volumes and velocity of runoff.
Luke

Post by Luke »

So you are saying that the sewage runs into the river untreated?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Luke wrote:So you are saying that the sewage runs into the river untreated?
- I am uncertain of the status of where sewage flows in Spruce Creek, but if they are on their own septic systems I bet it won't be long before they are asked to build a WWTF so all waste can be treated.
Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Anderson »

Luke,
The vast majority of rural citizens including those in the Little Juniata River watershed, which includes the Spruce Creek valley, have DEP approved, on- site septic systems that are periodically pumped by authorized operators and drain fields that work just fine. Unfortunately there are some older septic systems throughout the watershed that are failing and these must be either repaired or replaced. Only when people live close together on small city lots is there a real need for a sewer plant. This is not the case in the Spruce Creek valley, yet.

Bill
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Luke wrote:So you are saying that the sewage runs into the river untreated?
No, that is illegal.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
Luke wrote:You mean all the folks in Spruce Creek etc have a treatment facility? I hope that is true...that would be good for the river.
A sewage treatment plant at Spruce Creek would bring with it increased residential development that would cause a lot of degradation of the Spruce Creek watershed. There are more pounds of fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides used per acre of manicured lawn than there are per acre of farmland. In addition, flooding would increase due to more impervious surface resulting in greater volumes and velocity of runoff.
Amen to that!
Luke

Post by Luke »

If there is NO evidence of contamination by these systems to the Little Juniata then I am okay with the push by some agencies to hold the Tyrone Water Treatment plant responsible for the ills of the river. However, if even one of these systems in Ironsville or south of there is leaking into the river then I find it highly hypocritical of these folks to be supportive of fines to the people of Tyrone. Yes, it is a fine to the people of Tyrone, not the treatment plant....the costs have to be passed on to the users. I think every dollar used in this regard should go to repairing whats wrong instead of pointing fingers...especially when there are systems south of the plant that are possibly contaminating the river.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Luke wrote: Yes, it is a fine to the people of Tyrone, not the treatment plant....the costs have to be passed on to the users. I think every dollar used in this regard should go to repairing whats wrong instead of pointing fingers...especially when there are systems south of the plant that are possibly contaminating the river.
The fine was for $9,000. I don't think that will go far to address many problems. That's just a slap on the wrist.
Bill Anderson

Post by Bill Anderson »

Luke,
You may be surprised to learn that I agree with you regarding the fines levied. All that the LJRA wants is a clean river. The fine payable by Tyrone Borough to DEP for violation of the clean water act was prescribed by law. The damages paid to the Pa Fish and Boat Commision was for the loss of fish, which we helped them count. It should be noted that the 243 fish counted was, in my estimation, as a participant in the "dead fish" roundup, only a small fraction of the actual kill.

All we were seeking were some answers. Our only purpose was to prevent future occurrances.
I've said this before but it bears repeating. The management at the Tyrone Plant is both competent and consciencious. However, the systems they are utilizing are insufficient for providing the level of protection we feel the Little Juniata River and the public deserves. Events such as this fish kill, prove our point.

Maybe we can pursuade DEP to donate the fine proceeds to the Joshua House for a kid's fishing program!

Bill
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
Don't forget that it was the abscence of a sewage treatment plant that prevented Donnie "Don't Fish My Stream" Beaver from building luxury condos at the Espy Farm in the Village of Spruce Creek 2 years ago. The Huntingdon County Planning Commission nixed Donnie's scheme because of inadequate sewage treatment options.
maryann

Post by maryann »

Hey folks..there is another major source of polution in our streams and the chesapeake. Two scientist at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster PA. have been researching for the past few years the effect of old mill pond sediment run off into our streams. this is making big news in the field of science and taking the load of blame off our farmers and sewer plants. Not that they haven't been to blame in the past and may be still to a certain extent but read the articles by Dr. Dorothy Merritts,{one of Tyrone's own graduates} and her husband Dr. Robert Walters. It will explain better than I can.

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/215232

also

http://www.fandu.edu/x16899.xml