YMCA - use of building

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: YMCA - use of building

Post by My2Cents »

no-it-all wrote:I for one would like to see it come down ; all at one time preferably instead of a few chunks here and there like is already happening. Instead of a theatre or a youth center, how about an actual community center, with a gym and a large room that has a stage in it that could be used by different area groups. Something the whole community can benefit from. Kinda like what the Y originally provided for a town that needs so much, it would give a little to more than make one group happy. Then maybe we could get a movie theatre or bowling alley in Lincoln school.....ahw I can dream can't I?
:thumb: There ya go !!! That's a good idea too !! Maybe build something that duplicates, and/or is close to, what the "Y" was like at one time. Building something that would benefit the whole community would be a big plus. I do think our Community Players deserve a theater with stage and all the good stuff that goes with it. The theater could also be used for many things throughout the year. They will have to watch what they put in the basement though.... flooding is a problem sometimes. Maybe build a parking garage on the ground level of the building.
I think there will be a lot of public support and/or contributions handed down if this is well thought out and built for the entire community to enjoy in one way or another.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I think these are all great ideas, but I hope that the owner of the building will make some decision at some point, and not wait forever to do the next step. I just think it's so sad to see that building standing vacant, and realize that many others are in a similar condition. I'd like to see it used in some capacity so that it would be an asset to the community. Does anyone know a timeline for completing the next stage? :fogey:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Robbuck wrote:I believe i mentioned this before in another thread, but why wouldn't the YMCA site be a great place for the Tyrone Hotel/Motel that was proposed some time ago. Yes, I've heard one is to be built in the Pinecroft area, but why couldn't a hotel with a parking garage underneath it work in this location. It's handy to downtown, would be easily accessable from I-99 and would generate revenue, especially during the Penn State Football season. :huh:
banksy wrote:I see no reason why it could not be used for a hotel. I think location-wise that is a nice place for a Tyrone Hotel. The only think I can think of that would prevent it would be perhaps price point to acquire and clear the lot and possibly zoning (since I have no clue what the zoning is for that.)
Sorry, don't know how to impose quote upon quote... anyway, what do you folks think about saving the Hotel/Motel idea for the corner of 10th street and Pennsylvania... right there in the area where "Huff and Puff" use to be ??? Isn't that building, and others, going up the street from that corner (PA AVE) condemned and coming down anyway ???
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Owner Of Former YMCA Asks For Help

WJAC

POSTED: 7:41 pm EST February 4, 2008
UPDATED: 8:40 pm EST February 4, 2008

TYRONE, BLAIR COUNTY, Pa. -- Glenn Ray of G&R Excavating bought the nearly a century-old YMCA building in August. Tyrone Borough officials said it needed major repairs quickly. So, Ray is working to make it come alive again, but he wants the community to help.

The building used to house a theater, basketball courts, a day care and apartments for people who are down on their luck. However, the building needs a new roof and a new fire escape. Additionally, the cornice detail is falling down, so the borough has had to close the sidewalk so no one gets hurt. Inside the dilapidated building, a flood damaged the basketball court, windows and the heating system.

Ray said he knows it's going to cost a pretty penny to fix up the building, but it would be even more expensive to tear it down and build something in its place. [I have a hard time believing that!] He wants the residents' input.

Some residents have suggested applying for grant money to fix it up. Others said they are hoping it's not too late to save the building because a recreation center is exactly what they need.

Borough officials said they're waiting for a report from an engineer who is assessing the building. They said they will give Ray 90 days to fix it up before they issue citations for violations or take other steps.

Copyright 2008 by WJACTV.com
caddis

Post by caddis »

150thbucktail this is in response to your quote that you found it hard to believe that it would cost more to tear down and replace the building than to fix it up. I think that Glenn Ray would know how much it cost to tear down a building of that size, he has been in that line of work for a long time.Thats not even considering the types of materials that remain in that old building that have to be disposed of in a special and costly way.The shingles alone would cost a fortune to get rid of.So when he says that it would cost more to tear down and replace with something else than to fix the building as it stands I would believe him.I honestly think that Glenn has opened a hornets nest with buying that building because he is stuck with a huge pain in the butt because even if you come up with the money to repair or replace it, who is going to insure a building like that sitting smack dab in a flood plain that at anytime in the spring,summer,winter or fall the Little Juniata could leave its banks and wipe it out all over again.Real estate in the 10th street area in Tyrone won't be worth buying until the Boro council gets moving on some type of flood control for that area because until they do, nothing worth while will ever move into that area as long as that threat is looming.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Caddis,

I totally agree that Mr. Ray has more experience when it comes to costs of demolition of a building. My added statement was meant to be more in regards to the demolition, not so much a new construction of a new building. I see where I attached that wasn't exactly in the specific place it should've been, so my bad.

Morethanlikely there is all kinds of nasty stuff in that building, ranging from lead, aesbestos, and much more. Given the estimates that I have read and/or heard about in regards to renovation (which were in the $1 million - $1.5 million dollar range), and the estimated costs of demolition (which were $135,000 and higher), if demolition of that structure does cost in the $1 million range, it has to be the most expensive condemned building in Blair county.

Does anyone recall or know how much the cost was for the demolition of Kaufmann's in downtown Altoona which was done by Earthmovers Unlimited of Kylertown? That building was at least 2 or 3 times the size of the YMCA.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

OK... I did a couple minutes of quick digging for reports of local demolition with cost amounts reported.

I found that the Conigy building in the village of Colver in Cambria county was done at this amount. Not sure about the building's size, though.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/l ... 15522.html

"About half of the township’s 2007 Community Development Block Grant of $125,000 will be used for the project. Earthmovers was the successful bidder and won a $79,400 contract in August."

Here's an article about the Swank building in Johnstown that I know was larger than the YMCA, if not 2 or more times the size.

http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/l ... 01510.html

The Swank building in Johnstown was demo'ed by "Earthmovers – of Kylertown, Clearfield County – working with a base contract of $487,000...."