YMCA - use of building

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Meaux
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

YMCA - use of building

Post by Meaux »

Let's give Glenn Ray some ideas as he is requesting. This does seem to be a repository of bright ideas so let's start...
My2Cents
MVP Member

Re: YMCA - use of building

Post by My2Cents »

I think "fixing up" and/or "repairing" it would be too costly. It is a very old building in deplorable shape. I think it should be torn down completely and a new building built for our Community Players and other Arts and Entertainment... musicals, stage shows, outside invitations for celebrities to entertain, etc. The monies brought in for such events could be put right back into the building to pay for all expenses.
As far as a "Youth Center," I feel there is a place on down the street that can be established for that. Our Community Players are top notch and I do feel they deserve a theater/stage type facility. A "Dinner Theater" would be stretching it.... but, it certainly would bring in the much needed $$$$.
Blain

Post by Blain »

Here's an idea for Glenn Ray - clean up the junkyard that you own out on old 220 in Northwood - the one that you operate under the thin disguise of a building material "recycling" yard. What a terrible eyesore. Ray should be ashamed.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

I can't disagree at all the the prior 2 posts.

The YMCA building is finished. Take it down. The costs alone to renovate that entire structure probably match or outweigh that of constructing a new pole building. Besides... that gym, locker room, and weight room in that building was much too small and too confined.

But the big one is... The BUILDING IS STILL IN THE FLOOD PLAIN!! And the gym, weight room, locker rooms, and boiler room are a few feet below ground level on the alley side. Another Ivan could come through and do damage all over again.

Right off hand here's what I see would need replaced or added:

- Sprinkler system and fire safety system, including safety lights and lighted Fire Exit signs.
- New fire exit doors.
- Possibly new fire escapes along the sides and rear of the building.
- Possible electrical upgrades (wiring, panels, and such) throughout the building.
- New exterior doors for the majority of the building.
- New boiler system (I am guessing the old boiler system has been damaged).
- New roof, especially over top the the theatre portion.
- Replace much of the wood support structures given how prone that roof was to leaking. I'm sure there is a great deal of rotting occuring.
- The entire theatre would need to be renovation to be brought back up to code.
- The entire gymnasium may need to be completely renovated to be brought to up current codes. We all know the gym floor needs completely replaced. (Is there a pool underneath that anyway? If it's filled with dirt as I've been told, I wonder if it is still muddy?)
- Probably MAJOR masonry and concrete work will need to be done.
- New windows... unless the existing single pane windows, along with the typically broken, rotten, damaged current window frames are still suitable even if they are not anywhere close to be energy efficient.
- That doesn't even cover what renovation will need to be done in order to make it ADA accessible.

The theory of saving the building, while noble, is very foolish, in my opinion. The YMCA couldn't get the needed money when it was in operation. What makes anyone think the type of public money or donations in order to put a near condemned building of that size back together is available is beyond me. Especially given the economic status of our area. Unless you get some rich guy with money burning a hole in his pocket and the desire to put his name on something.

One other question... doesn't anyone from Tyrone use the Northern Blair Rec Center out in Tipton?
Luke

Post by Luke »

The point is that something needs to be in Tyrone where the kids can walk to it....not out in Tipton. I know they should walk out there too but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Throwing good money at bad money is only good for one thing: Trying to keep something historical in the present.

That said, I think we should form a coalition that has a 2 year moratorium in existence. The purpose of this group will be to pursue either state or federal funding for the restoration of this building. If after the avenues of funding have been exhausted then we would have to proceed with Plan B.

The first attempt by this community should be to preserve the past. If not sucessful then we need to provide a safer environment for the people who presently live here.
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

My2Cents wrote:I think "fixing up" and/or "repairing" it would be too costly. It is a very old building in deplorable shape. I think it should be torn down completely and a new building built for our Community Players and other Arts and Entertainment... musicals, stage shows, outside invitations for celebrities to entertain, etc. The monies brought in for such events could be put right back into the building to pay for all expenses. As far as a "Youth Center," I feel there is a place on down the street that can be established for that. Our Community Players are top notch and I do feel they deserve a theater/stage type facility. A "Dinner Theater" would be stretching it.... but, it certainly would bring in the much needed $$$$.

My2Cents
I was wondering what place down the street you are referring to about putting a youth center?????
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

As I posted on the Skate Park thread:

Raze the YMCA building and build the skate park right there. Ample parking. Central location. Easily monitored by the Tyrone PD. And it gives the people in the tower something to watch from their balconies.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

I believe i mentioned this before in another thread, but why wouldn't the YMCA site be a great place for the Tyrone Hotel/Motel that was proposed some time ago. Yes, I've heard one is to be built in the Pinecroft area, but why couldn't a hotel with a parking garage underneath it work in this location. It's handy to downtown, would be easily accessable from I-99 and would generate revenue, especially during the Penn State Football season. :huh:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I see no reason why it could not be used for a hotel. I think location-wise that is a nice place for a Tyrone Hotel. The only think I can think of that would prevent it would be perhaps price point to acquire and clear the lot and possibly zoning (since I have no clue what the zoning is for that.)
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

I for one would like to see it come down ; all at one time preferably instead of a few chunks here and there like is already happening. Instead of a theatre or a youth center, how about an actual community center, with a gym and a large room that has a stage in it that could be used by different area groups. Something the whole community can benefit from. Kinda like what the Y originally provided for a town that needs so much, it would give a little to more than make one group happy. Then maybe we could get a movie theatre or bowling alley in Lincoln school.....ahw I can dream can't I?
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

If I recall correctly from years past, not long after L & I did their inspection the renovation costs were in the $1 million to $1.5 million dollar estimated range.

Again... from where and from whom are you going to find that kind of money to "save" this structure? Is the community going to have to wait for 2 or more years as the already eyesore deteriorates, the hazards grow, and a public sidewalk remains closed while an attempt to find and compile an adequate amount of funding continues?

Not being an expert in large-scale demolition, I would be willing to guess that it will probably cost a quarter of that $1-$1.5 million figure to raze the building at the most, and just imagine the new building or whatever that could replace it at the remaining figure.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

banksy wrote:I see no reason why it could not be used for a hotel. I think location-wise that is a nice place for a Tyrone Hotel. The only think I can think of that would prevent it would be perhaps price point to acquire and clear the lot and possibly zoning (since I have no clue what the zoning is for that.)

If you look at the "footprint" of the building, the YMCA is an extremely narrow building when comparing it to current motels/hotels properties. Remember, the rear is up against the alley, the front is up against the Logan Ave., the south side boundary is the public parking area, while the north side has another building and the boro parking lot up against it. The property is definitely land-locked.

Now, as I had stated in a previous thread sometime ago, if the Boro were to get involved and make some allowances and clearances of the public parking area and their own boro vehicle parking lot, it might be feasible. But, personally, I don't believe there would be too many, if any, hotel developers who might see that property's boundaries and its current state as being close to feasible in a number of ways.
Last edited by 150thBucktailCo.I on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:If you look at the "footprint" of the building, the YMCA is an extremely narrow building when comparing it to current motels/hotels properties. Remember, the rear is up against the alley, the front is up against the Logan Ave., the south side boundary is the public parking area, while the north side has another building and the boro parking lot up against it.
Just for reference... :thumb:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ymca+tyro ... &z=18&om=0
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Rick,

Thanks for that view, you always pop in a great reference to give us a great perspective. Just my opinion, since I am not a person who dwells on the past, I agree that the building should come down. I have heard nothing but people giving me heck about having to walk around it or look at it for a couple of years now. I remember hearing that it would cost around $135k + to raze the building. Even if someone had 1 to 1.5 million to put into it you would still have a building that does not have a lot of uses because of its configuration. If you take that same 1.5 million and tear down the building and then build a nice single level all purpose building I think you could accomplish a lot. I know as a Borough Council Member I would be willing to do whatever it would take to give someone insensitive, if there are any, to do something that would benefit the whole community. Keep in mind the Jones building. All the efforts to raise monies for it were totally in vain. It kept it around for a couple more years for nothing. I do not mind keeping the past around as long as there is someone who is taking care of it and not creating something the entire community will have to deal with someday. It all boils down to this, just be a responsible land owner and take care of your property.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Butterball wrote:
My2Cents wrote:I think "fixing up" and/or "repairing" it would be too costly. It is a very old building in deplorable shape. I think it should be torn down completely and a new building built for our Community Players and other Arts and Entertainment... musicals, stage shows, outside invitations for celebrities to entertain, etc. The monies brought in for such events could be put right back into the building to pay for all expenses. As far as a "Youth Center," I feel there is a place on down the street that can be established for that. Our Community Players are top notch and I do feel they deserve a theater/stage type facility. A "Dinner Theater" would be stretching it.... but, it certainly would bring in the much needed $$$$.

My2Cents
I was wondering what place down the street you are referring to about putting a youth center?????
Sorry Butterball, I just noticed the question you posted the other day. At the time I was thinking down at the end of Logan Avenue, somewhere around the Army... maybe in the area of the Moose, or across the street at the old Bayer and Gillam building. However, after thinking about it more.... that area is prime target for flooding... so, I guess it wouldn't be a good idea.... unless everything was built flood proof.