Tyrone High School Musical

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
kbb8323

Tyrone High School Musical

Post by kbb8323 »

I wanted to make sure everyone knew the Tyrone High School is doing a musical this year. It will be West Side Story April 25th and April 26th. Remember last year there was not a musical! As a side note the School Board is keeping up with their theme that music is not an important part of a education so they are not proving ANY funding to this production. The kids will be required to raise every dollar themselves. These kids will need the communities members and local businesses support. Tyrone has a chance to show the surround counties something positive as a community.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Tyrone High School Musical

Post by My2Cents »

kbb8323 wrote:I wanted to make sure everyone knew the Tyrone High School is doing a musical this year. It will be West Side Story April 25th and April 26th. Remember last year there was not a musical! As a side note the School Board is keeping up with their theme that music is not an important part of a education so they are not proving ANY funding to this production. The kids will be required to raise every dollar themselves. These kids will need the communities members and local businesses support. Tyrone has a chance to show the surround counties something positive as a community.
Another good reason for tearing down the old "Y" and building a theater for the performing Arts. Thanks kbb for the heads-up.
dolphinocn

Post by dolphinocn »

Help Support the Music dept. by going to Barnes and Nobles on March 14th-17th. A percentage of your purchase will go towards the Tyrone music dept to help pay for the play West Side Story. All you have to do is when checking out tell the clerk you want to use the book fair # 240325. Any little bit will help. You can do this from ANY Barnes and Noble not just the altoona store. Best of Luck kids on your play.
kbb8323

Post by kbb8323 »

The Tyrone Choral Boosters is having a Spaghetti Dinner to benefit the musical on Sunday March 9, 2008 at the Joshua House. They are also selling raffle tickets. If you are interested in a tickets for either please contact me at kbonsell@comcast.net . Please help support the kids!
AJ

Post by AJ »

It's unbelievable that the TAHS School Board would deny funding for this production!
"Music is not an important part of a education"--??? OMG! What is that??
I've been away from Tyrone for almost 20 years now, but the fondest memories I have from TAHS were directly
involved with the Music Department!
Mrs. Young and Mrs. Roberts taught us ALL so much more than just music, but also discipline, responsibility and the ability to work with others. We had such a great time participating in concerts, plays and musicals.
It's a shame that the kids in that town now don't get to experience that same pleasure, and take that knowledge with them throughout their lives.

Are tickets available in advance? I'd like make the trip to Tyrone with my children to see this production, and maybe get to see Mrs. Young after 26 years!!

Is there an address available to send donations to?

It's a shame that the "educated Educators" can't see the value of music in education. I guess it's more important to them to have nice 'pretty' schools, rather than have well-rounded graduates!
Maybe if there were more activities like this for the kids, there would be less idle time to be hangin' around doing drugs!

AM
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

They are taking sponsors for the playbill. I will get the information and post it on Monday.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
dolphinocn

Post by dolphinocn »

Aj you could always e-mail kbonsell@comcast.net about donations. I know she is directly involved she would have the answers. Any donations will help!! And if your planning on coming home to see the musical this would be the year to do it, I do believe Mrs. Young is retireing soon. Thanks for your support!!
dolphinocn

Post by dolphinocn »

THIS IS THE WEEKEND!!!! PLEASE HELP BY......Help Support the Music dept. by going to Barnes and Nobles on March 14th-17th. A percentage of your purchase will go towards the Tyrone music dept to help pay for the play West Side Story. All you have to do is when checking out tell the clerk you want to use the book fair # 240325. Any little bit will help. You can do this from ANY Barnes and Noble not just the altoona store.
kbb8323

Post by kbb8323 »

I want to thank the community for their support so far for the musical. The kids have been working hard raising money and rehearsing for the show. Everyone should come out and support the kids by seeing the show.

Here is the ticket information:
The students of TAHS
-proudly present-
“West Side Story”
April 25 & 26, 2008
7:30 PM
For tickets call: 684-4240 Ext. 3700
Or come to the TAHS Main Office
Tickets available: March 17th
Reserved seating: $8.00 General Admission: $6.00
AJ

Post by AJ »

Where does the Proceeds go, from the ticket sales to this musical?
I would hope that it's kept away from the School Board!
Ticket sales from this year's show, should go into a savings account for next year's musical,,,etc, etc...
Let the 'board' try to put up road blocks to stop the music then!!
Just a question/thought.
AJ
AJ

Post by AJ »

:thumb:
CONGRATULATIONS TO MRS. YOUNG AND THE STUDENTS OF WEST SIDE STORY!!!!
I dont even know where to start!! What a phenomenal production!!!!
We traveled over 200 miles on Saturday to come see this show, and we were NOT disappointed!
The orchestra was excellant,,,and the kids did such a fantastic job in EVERY area of this production!
The singing was extraordinary, the acting was wonderful, and all the different stage props looked great!
I was so impressed to see that the community came out and supported the Music Department and that the auditorium was full! Let the School Board deny funding all they want! I'd like to make them prove that these kids didnt learn some important 'life lessons' from participating in this production!!! Music and the Arts ARE important to education!
I was also able to talk to Mrs. Young after the show, and even after 25+ years--she recognized me when she saw me! She might not have been able to put a name with my face, but when I told her, she remembered immediately, and we talked about the Musical that I was in, under her direction, all those years ago! She's just as pretty as when I had her in high school 25+ years ago--inside and out!
I was even lucky enough to see Mrs. Roberts as we were on the way out the door, and we talked for a long time also! What a great night, and well worth the cost of gas to get there!!!
Thank You to the TAHS Music Department for another EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE!!! Keep up the great work!

AJ

AJ wrote:Where does the Proceeds go, from the ticket sales to this musical?
I would hope that it's kept away from the School Board!
Ticket sales from this year's show, should go into a savings account for next year's musical,,,etc, etc...
Let the 'board' try to put up road blocks to stop the music then!!
Just a question/thought.
AJ
dolphinocn

Post by dolphinocn »

I would also like to express how AWESOME the musical was. The hard work that everyone put into it really was paid off fri and sat night. What a great way for Mrs. Young to go out with her last musical!!! The emotions that all the kids were haveing just shows how great of a teacher Mrs. Young is and how she has taught them so many things. And to all of the cast and crew......you were wonderful!!! I wish we would beable to have a repeat because I know for one I would come. I just can't say enough the job well done from all of you!! WAY TO GO TAHS MUSICAL DEPT, CAST CREW,PARENTS AND ALL THAT WERE INVOLVED....WAY TO GO!!! :thumb:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

It is beyond absolutely wonderful !!! I hope that the music, the arts and entertainment are never omitted from the school curriculum !! It would certainly be a tragety. As AJ mentioned, music IS important to education in more ways than one. Without the song; In 1814 we took a little trip, along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip' . We took a little bacon and we took a little beans and we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans. Without that song, as I was growing up, I would not have done well on my history exam. Plus, I am still able to remember the date.
With that aside, there are kids out there just waiting, with talent they don't even realize they have... music, arts and entertainment can bring out the best. Kids getting involved with things like this is so much better than the 'ole after school skate board, standing on the corner, wondering what to do next stuff.
Congratulations !! I hope there will be an encore to this !!
THANK YOU TAHS MUSIC DEPARTMENT !!!
Meaux

Post by Meaux »

I, too, enjoyed the show. The lead roles were ably filled...they had the voices for the range of the music. The staging was well done...none of the young actors were left standing awkwardly while singing. The best acting, in my opinion, was the girl playing Anita. She really put some oomph into the character. All those dancing boys were exciting and fun to watch. And Tony & Maria sold me on the young couple falling in love in an instant that you have to accept to move the story forward. He was such a joyous young man in love! That young ladies voice was remarkable!!

My only criticism goes to the costuming...I have seen other productions and the two gangs were more clearly delineated by costume choices (e.g. the Sharks wore black denim, the Jets blue or bright shirts vs pale or some other visual device). This just makes an impact when they are fighting and would have been especially noticable in the Somewhere Ballet. This scene does not appear in the movie but the point is that in the fantasy all the kids get along. The cross-gang couples would have stood out if we had the additional help of the visual cues.

The live orchestra was a real treat. The kid who played the adult at the gym dance certainly tried to steal the show! "Officer Krupke" was a great number. The girls did some great dancing also. It is really something to do a musical...the actors must know their lines and sing & dance. So much goes into the production. The sets were great...so many settings and the intricate set pieces. I really liked the lighting too which often gets overlooked.

Both the students and Mrs. Young have much to be proud of. I see she is still a hoot...who else do you know who can put off Chuck Taylors with a taffeta skirt!?! If you missed it you missed an great entertainment.
kbb8323

Post by kbb8323 »

Thank you....
On behalf of the TAHS Choral Boosters and the cast, crew, and directors of the TAHS student production of
“West Side Story”
please accept
our most heartfelt “THANK YOU” for your financial support and attendance at our production.
Most of all thank you for allowing this musical to be remembered as such an important part of our students’ lives and a production that our entire community shared in and could be proud of!