vacant buildings in tyrone

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
80cobra

vacant buildings in tyrone

Post by 80cobra »

Stop and look around our town , how many vacant buildings are there ? The YMCA, Lincoln school, Deotavios pizza shop, the ice cream place on 14th and Pennsy. Im sure everyone could name some others.Instead of just picking on Glenn Ray for the YMCA why not think of ideas for all the vacant structures. Pick a building and give an idea.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: vacant buildings in tyrone

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Best idea.... Knock 'em down.

Renovation of old existing structures is either the equivalent or more expensive in costs than tearing them down. It's really not cost effective given the interior and exterior conditions most of the structures are in, particularly the ones mentioned. That is unless you have the deep pockets and the personal ambition to take care of the proper refurbishment yourself.

And don't say "... we need to find the money somewhere." The fact is, it's not out there.

Cripes, take a look at the economy and fuel costs. In my opinion, no one with any sense is going to take a gamble on buildings like the ones mentioned. And if they do or if they have, then the burden is upon them to do the job right and within the appropriate, acceptable, and legal timeframe. An entity that has done that has taken a very large gamble. Overall, I believe this community (and most of the Pennsylvania Rust Belt for that matter) will be waiting a long time for a private entity to come in and take care of a town's infrastructure business. For instance, S & A Homes and the Lincoln School... and we know they have, or have had, the money and a plan to refurbish it and yet they've done nothing but let it rot with no community enforcement to change the continuing demise of the property.

Typically, the only government money out there are for the necessities or political pet projects. Also, the amount of grant money that is usually available is not typically enough for immediate action and takes a few years for the funds to be built up.

It's already known and proven that the longer a building sits there waiting for something to happen and not being properly cared for, the more it becomes a hazard to the community.

So I say, out with the old... in with the new. And while in transition, leave the ground flat with an "Opportunity Available" sign.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I agree wholeheartedly with Bucktail !! Right now, there are many, many, empty buildings around our town... also, a few that are not empty and should be.... look around. Anyway, as Bucktail said... "knock 'em down... leave the ground flat... put up an opportunity available sign." Plain and simple !! What is so hard about that ??!!
This business of what to do with the "Y," and what to do with the Lincoln School, is getting to be ridiculous. Tear them down, get them out of there !! They are a health and safety hazard !!
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I imagine the Y and Lincoln school are full of asbestos. You can't just knock those buildings down. I don't think anyone in town wants to be breathing that stuff in. The asbestos has to be removed by a professional and that can get extremely expensive. Glenn Ray probably got hosed on that deal.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

anne onimous1 wrote:I imagine the Y and Lincoln school are full of asbestos. You can't just knock those buildings down. I don't think anyone in town wants to be breathing that stuff in. The asbestos has to be removed by a professional and that can get extremely expensive. Glenn Ray probably got hosed on that deal.
That could very well be... however, that's all the more reason to get them out of there.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

If you're concerned about the asbestos just being there, you would have to tear down half of the buildings on PA avenue. Asbestos is least harmful when left alone. I''m not saying that something should'nt be done, I'm just saying that there is a proper way of going about it.
Last edited by anne onimous1 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

anne onimous1 wrote:If you're concerned about the asbestos just being there, you would have to tear down half of the buildings on PA avenue. Asbestos is most harmless when left alone. I''m not saying that something should'nt be done, I'm just saying that there is a proper way of going about it.
Gotcha'... I understand. They gotta' do it right and get them outa' there.... It's gotta' be done sometime, and sometime is way past due. Yes, it WILL cost money.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I think I meant to say least harmful....
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

anne onimous1 wrote:I think I meant to say least harmful....
:thumb: gotcha'
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

anne onimous1 wrote: Glenn Ray probably got hosed on that deal.
I seriously doubt that. As a professional demolition company, I would hope that he first analyzed the building to the fullest extent. I would also believe that he knew full well what he was getting into and what that building has inside and out.

However, if he did jump into this deal without fully investigating this property than he has no one else to blame but himself.

(And you are correct about abestos extraction and it's cost, and I'm positive that building has a bunch of other stuff as I've stated before in another thread similiar to this topic. But that doesn't mean it should be allowed to continue to rot away. At some point, it will need to be addressed and the costs won't get any cheaper.)
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I agree that it shouldn't just sit and rot away, but it will take some time to determine what should be done with it. The city was not in a big hurry to do anything with it. Mr. Ray will do what is right, but I think there are people who would also like to see it stay. I personally think that it would be great to see it remain. Once you start tearing all of the buildings down you lose a lot of the history of the city. It could be cheaper to let it stand. I have no idea, but I have been researching the whole asbestos issue and removing it is one big expense but disposing of it even bigger.
80cobra

Post by 80cobra »

I like to see people interested in our town, not everybody agrees on everything, but people are talking. This subject, the windmills, the sewer plant , whatever, people need to get more involved. We only have a voice on any subject in numbers. The numbers of people who turn out at meetings or to vote. Get involved. Make your voice heard.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

anne onimous1 wrote: The city was not in a big hurry to do anything with it. Mr. Ray will do what is right, but I think there are people who would also like to see it stay.
The Boro should have been and ought to be in a hurry to have a final outcome determined with the building because it is creating a public hazard currently, and has been for quite a long while. For 2 or 3 years now, I believe. A well-known major public hazard is the public sidewalk that has now been blocked off from usage. That's absolutely ridiculous and completely unnecessary. And why it has been permitted for this length of time still amazes me.

Forcing people, especially older folks, to either step off the curb onto the street, cross Logan Ave. at some point, or use the back alley to get around that building is both dangerous and what I believe is a potential legal liability upon the Boro of Tyrone. Although, now the legal burden might perhaps fall upon Mr. Ray.

Add in the potential for debris falling off the rotting backside of the roof (ever take a look at that roof? You can get a decent view of it from I-99) into the public parking lot or back alley and there's even more risk to the public. And debris already has fallen into the parking lot.

If I recall correctly, I believe Mr. Ray has about a month and a half (around 45 days) to finally get all his ducks in a row in regards to making a final detemination in the direction the building is going to go. Whether it will stand or fall. He received the 90 Day Extention from Boro Council at the February meeting. I don't think he will, or should, receive another extention.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

We need a brand spanking new, state of the art, well known, something you just can't pass by or refuse, Supermarket/Grocery Store. Right down town, with parking lot and all !! One that not only offers all kinds of food and fresh produce but also has other things such as, greeting cards, books, flowers, bakery, a coffee shop type restaurant, and all that other "real good stuff." I'm not talking about another one of those save this, and save that, previously frozen, get 'em while they last, or before they expire, type stores. I mean a biggy with everything, but, the kitchen sink.
Wegman's,Giant Eagle, Weis, Martin's... whoever, whatever.... as long as they are well known chain and will be lasting around here for many, many, years to come.
Wegman's would be perfect !!! So would the others at this point.
Mark is gone, ( I know, has been ) we don't even have a Hallmark card store with all of it's goodies anymore. Peg's gone, ( I know, has been ) we don't even have a place nearby that does any dry cleaning, or a place to drop off dry cleaning that I know of.
While I'm dreaming here; I think an old fashion diner would be great up around the train station. The long outside front of it in chrome.. the inside of it with the red plastic booths and seats along the counter areas, red, and trimmed with chrome. Juke boxes at every table, quietly playing songs from the good 'ole days. Waitresses with saddle shoes, can-cans and poodle skirts. Waiters with white shirts, red neckties, and that white paper hat thingy on their head. Good 'ole home cooked meals.
We could name it "The Little Red Caboose." Put up a neon sign so that it can be seen from I99 and we'll be in business. If it floods downtown, it will never reach the train station area. OK, come on... think about it, I'm gonna' rest now.
P.S. Yes, a place out front for scooter parking.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

My2Cents wrote:We need a brand spanking new, state of the art, well known, something you just can't pass by or refuse, Supermarket/Grocery Store. Right down town, with parking lot and all !! One that not only offers all kinds of food and fresh produce but also has other things such as, greeting cards, books, flowers, bakery, a coffee shop type restaurant, and all that other "real good stuff." I'm not talking about another one of those save this, and save that, previously frozen, get 'em while they last, or before they expire, type stores. I mean a biggy with everything, but, the kitchen sink...as long as they are well known chain and will be lasting around here for many, many, years to come.
So - Tyrone needs a SUPERWALMART! :fogey: :flag: :hail: :bluebounce: