Fuel/Gas Prices... Let the Protests Begin!

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Fuel/Gas Prices... Let the Protests Begin!

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Here's what a lot of you have been waiting for... let the protests begin!!

Truckers Plan Protest Convoy

GRANTVILLE -- Their mantra was "Power in numbers," a phrase that encapsulated the feeling of truckers from all over Pennsylvania -- and other parts of the country -- who rallied at the Gables truck stop near Grantville recently. A convoy is planned for Monday.

An organized convoy to drive I-81 from Grantville to Harrisburg in protest of diesel prices. The drive is set to begin at 8 a.m. Monday, March 31. Those participating expect to meet at the Gables station at 6 a.m.

The rally, organized by local independent truck driver Mark Kirsch, arose in opposition to the rising gas and diesel-fuel costs across the country. Nearly 200 truckers and others gathered in front of the gas pumps to participate in the rally, which aimed to have the issue heard on the state and national legislative levels.

(more)....

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/ci_8737112
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Re: Fuel/Gas Prices... Let the Protests Begin!

Truckers Threaten To Put It In Park Over Rising Diesel Prices

WASHINGTON -- Starting this weekend, some truckers around the country-- and in our area-- will be putting their big rigs in park. They are going on strike April 1 because they are upset about the high price of diesel fuel.

(more...)

http://www.wjactv.com/news/15736624/detail.html
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

Nice idea, but bad methods. Those guys are only hurting themselves. If you want to lower gas prices, you gotta do what a mass e-mail I recieved, said to do. Most of the people I have talked to have already recieved it and are already doing it.
The gist of the e-mail was that Exxon/Mobil are the largest most profitable gas companies that basically set the gas prices. Buy Shell, Kwik Fill, anyone but the big boys. That 40billion dollar profit from last year takes a huge dive......they'll have to lower their price to sell it. It will start a price war and we will benefit! After all, WEare the customers!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

no-it-all wrote:Nice idea, but bad methods. Those guys are only hurting themselves. If you want to lower gas prices, you gotta do what a mass e-mail I recieved, said to do. Most of the people I have talked to have already recieved it and are already doing it.
The gist of the e-mail was that Exxon/Mobil are the largest most profitable gas companies that basically set the gas prices. Buy Shell, Kwik Fill, anyone but the big boys. That 40billion dollar profit from last year takes a huge dive......they'll have to lower their price to sell it. It will start a price war and we will benefit! After all, WEare the customers!
That doesn't change much, it is still the same demand on foreign oil, regardless of who is refining it and selling it to you. The only way to curtail the price is to cut use.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Last week on our local news here in NC, they reported that the truckers across the nation are considering going on strike in protest of the high fuel cost. I see this doing nothing at all to help but making an already suffering nation suffer even more... :(
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

RedhairNFreckles wrote:Last week on our local news here in NC, they reported that the truckers across the nation are considering going on strike in protest of the high fuel cost. I see this doing nothing at all to help but making an already suffering nation suffer even more... :(
It wouldn't help. It would cause an even greater shortage off other goods and cause their prices to go higher too. The only solution is less demand or the government finding a way to regulate oil derived fuels in the U.S. One way to assist in demand is to use more fuel efficient means of transportation, but even that would most likely only make a small dent. Between the mortgage crisis and the fuel crisis, one administration in the November election has a tough spot to be in. I'd like to hear from those who think the U.S. needs to pull our of Iraq chime in here on what impact they think that will have on oil prices.

I'll admit this has just started to affect me, and I suspect it will only get worse as I think for the most part companies have absorbed the high cost of fuels without raising prices so much. I think that happy hour is approaching last call, especially if truckers want to pull a strike. Should be interesting over the next 4-5 years. Nobody thought Rome or the USSR would topple, and while we may be quite a way away from that, it isn't too far fetched to think how significantly different things could be in 15-20 years.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

banksy wrote:
RedhairNFreckles wrote:Last week on our local news here in NC, they reported that the truckers across the nation are considering going on strike in protest of the high fuel cost. I see this doing nothing at all to help but making an already suffering nation suffer even more... :(
It wouldn't help. It would cause an even greater shortage off other goods and cause their prices to go higher too. The only solution is less demand or the government finding a way to regulate oil derived fuels in the U.S. One way to assist in demand is to use more fuel efficient means of transportation, but even that would most likely only make a small dent. Between the mortgage crisis and the fuel crisis, one administration in the November election has a tough spot to be in. I'd like to hear from those who think the U.S. needs to pull our of Iraq chime in here on what impact they think that will have on oil prices.

I'll admit this has just started to affect me, and I suspect it will only get worse as I think for the most part companies have absorbed the high cost of fuels without raising prices so much. I think that happy hour is approaching last call, especially if truckers want to pull a strike. Should be interesting over the next 4-5 years. Nobody thought Rome or the USSR would topple, and while we may be quite a way away from that, it isn't too far fetched to think how significantly different things could be in 15-20 years.
Excellent observations. Very insightful. I agree with you 100%.
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

It may be the same demand, but Exxon/Mobil are the bigdogs, if the lack of sales hurts them enough, they will drop their price to entice sales; which could start a price war. Yes, there are alot of "ifs and coulds" but that's all we have.IT IS BLEAK.
BTW- Apple and Kwik Fill is American made gasoline not foreign oil. Which brings alot of contempt from me, considering they don't have the shipping(overseas) charges and the overhead the foreign companies do, and yet they are charging the same prices as everyone else. To me, that's worse than what the Arabs are doing; at least we know they hate us, this is a case of Americans doing it to each other.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I have to support the truckers on this one. It costs the american trucker approximately .65/mile to operate their rig. Diesel fuel has surpassed $4.00/ gallon. Remember that diesel used to be cheaper per gallon than gasoline, now worldwide demand for diesel is higher. We are competeing against other emerging economies, i.e., China, India etc. This is what is driving the prices of your groceries etc. up. We do not have an infinite oil refining capacity. The problem is we have not built any oil refineries in over 20 years. Someone has to get the goods to the store shelves before consumption. The trucker needs to make a living too. I know tht I am traveling less, consolidating errands, etc. because financially I have to. The effect on our pocket books will be the same whether the trucks sit still or move on down the road. Truckers can't afford to feed their families either, they are spending all of their money on fuel. They don't have the option of taking the train, bus or carpool to work. God Bless the American Trucker!!!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I thought eventually something was going to blow and all that you folks mentioned above is correct. I think the dictator down in South America, ( "Chevez," forgive my spelling) anyway, I think he has a LOT to do with what is happening right now.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

banksy wrote:I'll admit this has just started to affect me, and I suspect it will only get worse as I think for the most part companies have absorbed the high cost of fuels without raising prices so much. I think that happy hour is approaching last call, especially if truckers want to pull a strike. Should be interesting over the next 4-5 years. Nobody thought Rome or the USSR would topple, and while we may be quite a way away from that, it isn't too far fetched to think how significantly different things could be in 15-20 years.

Companies are using "creative" tactics to avoid raising prices. You are gettining 6 bars of soap for the same price you used to get 8 bars for. ( I just noticed this last weekend when I was shopping), also, container sizes are shrinking. Remember that huge 1 gallon TUB of ice cream your momma used to bring home from the store? If you haven't noticed, it's now 3/4 of a gallon. They may not be raising the prices on some items but they are decreasing the amount that you are getting for the same price. You're probably getting a few less sheets of toilet paper to a roll, you better buy two of those. However, a dozen eggs is still a dozen, and yes, the price continues to go up on those.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

A couple things about the gas in PA.

1) The state of PA does NOT test gas to make sure the octane level that the stations are selling, are really that number. Like 87,89,92,94... all the states surrounding us do. For whatever reason, PA doesn't. In all honesty, the 87 you are buying really might only be 85 or lower. No way to tell, and only the fuel supplier really knows.

There is a House bill languishing in committee in Harrisburg (can't think of the number off hand) that would require stations to be tested to make sure the octane level really is true to the tag, but the only way to get it out of committee is to start putting pressure (letters, phone calls, email) on your state representative, like Jerry Stern, Mike Fleck, Rick Geist, or Scott Conklin to name some of the local guys.

2) PA is now requiring something like a 10-15% ethanol blend in fuel sales. If you are noticing a dropoff in gas mileage, this could be the reason why. I know for a fact Sheetz is selling this blended fuel, and am pretty sure all gas stations have to do it either by this summer or 2009.
Last edited by 150thBucktailCo.I on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

One other thing... regardless of whether or not you believe the government should or needs to get involved in the oil/fuel/gas issue, they are going to have to at some point.

One reason will be that if Americans continue to cut back their driving and fuel purchases, that means the federal and state gov'ts will be losing tax money. For instance, in PA there is a .32 cent state gas tax along with a .19 cent federal gas tax on every gallon of fuel you purchase. And what that means is less money for highway infrastructure projects. Subtract that .51 cent tax and check out the price per gallon.

And there are a multitude of other reasons, including economical issues that will to continue to affect most everyone, middle class and lower. And as transportation costs rise, so does the cost of everything. And as farmers quit growing wheat and only focus on corn to sell for ethanol, our food costs will also increase. (this is the lowest grain output in the USA since 1948.)

But I can safely bet most of our paychecks and income won't rise to keep up with it.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

anne onimous1 wrote:I have to support the truckers on this one. It costs the american trucker approximately .65/mile to operate their rig. Diesel fuel has surpassed $4.00/ gallon. Remember that diesel used to be cheaper per gallon than gasoline, now worldwide demand for diesel is higher. We are competeing against other emerging economies, i.e., China, India etc. This is what is driving the prices of your groceries etc. up. We do not have an infinite oil refining capacity. The problem is we have not built any oil refineries in over 20 years. Someone has to get the goods to the store shelves before consumption. The trucker needs to make a living too. I know tht I am traveling less, consolidating errands, etc. because financially I have to. The effect on our pocket books will be the same whether the trucks sit still or move on down the road. Truckers can't afford to feed their families either, they are spending all of their money on fuel. They don't have the option of taking the train, bus or carpool to work. God Bless the American Trucker!!!
anne, I wholeheartedly agree that "truckers can't afford to feed their families either" because of the present economy and yes I even realize "someone has to get the goods to the store sheves before consumption". But a strike will not help anyone, maybe even especially the truckers. Who's going to make their payments on their expensive rigs when their cash flow completely stops? You know our farmers have been the most neglected, over-looked, and taken for granted, of all the occupations in America, What will happen if they decided they've had enough and go on strike? Please don't tell me that most of our wheat, beef, etc. is imported anyway, because maybe some of it is, but not all. We, as a nation, are already suffering the effects of a crumbling economy, and if we continue on this present path, the worse is yet to come, by far... the worse! I have no answer for what solution should be taken, I only know that a nationwide trucker strike would be the least helpful.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote: PA is now requiring something like a 10-15% ethanol blend in fuel sales. If you are noticing a dropoff in gas mileage, this could be the reason why. I know for a fact Sheetz is selling this blended fuel, and am pretty sure all gas stations have to do it either by this summer or 2009.
Ethanol contains 34% less energy per unit volume than gasoline, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in miles per gallon.