school taxes

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
rockergirl24

school taxes

Post by rockergirl24 »

Does anyone know why Tyrone Borough residents pay 1.9 % school taxes and the residents from other areas such as Snyder Twp, Warrior Mark Twp, ect. pay less and our kids all go to the same school district? Just wondering....
80cobra

Re: school taxes

Post by 80cobra »

local taxes are accessed by the local in which you live, it has nothing to do with the school distric
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

The 1.9% sounds like the EIT (Earned Income Tax) tax that was just raised in the Borough. That would be just a Tyrone Borough resident tax. As "80Cobra" said it is a local tax assessed by the municipality only.
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

The way I understand it, 0.4% goes to the school and the remaining HUGE 1.5% goes to the Borough of Tyrone! And what do we get for that 1.5%? We get welfare housing, we get to see teenage girls in belly shirts pushing their babies all around town, we get drug infested sections of this *used to be nice" small town, we get a police force that would rather race their new Charger up the pike than go find that attempted child abductor behind Bressler's....(yes, we see you slam on the gas going up past reservoir park! I hope you're having fun at MY expense!! We pay for that GAS you are wasting!) Where we used to live (out of state), we paid high taxes, but we had NICE roads, FREE gargage collection, a composte site where we could drop off lawn clippings (anytime of the day!), drug free schools....get the picture?

Tyrone is run by a bunch of corrupt idiots. Can anyone else please skim off the top and get away with it?? Do you honestly think people don't KNOW what you do? Where is the Mayor?? When was the last time he was in his office doing something constructive??

Sorry for the ranting and raving....I just get emotional about people that take MY money and do NOTHING with it.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

WoW that certainly was a passionate post....I might ask Do you make these concerns known? You may want to address Council or the Police Chief about some of your concerns. I am now aware of these, thanks to your post here. Things really are not as bad as you put it though. I have lived here all my life and not much has changed. The drug problem is certainly an issue, but it is an issue all across the State in small rural community's like ours. I really do agree with the Kids having Kids comment....Something needs to be done to get these children to understand responsibility. I also would like someone to do something about children smoking. I just don't understand why kids still pick up this habit. My family was lucky; I had both parents that smoked and only one of my siblings picked up the habit. You mention about lawn clippings and such, but you certainly have to acknowledge that if disposing of clippings 24/7 were available you would have so much trash in the recycling bins that it would be ridiculous. You raise many decent points that can be looked into. I believe the name calling isn't really necessary, but some people just have to vent and it comes out in all sorts of ways. You should also keep in mind that better than half of the setting Council Members do have full time jobs. We are doing the most we can do with the time we have to do it and I personally feel we are doing a good job. I always say that if there are people that say they can do it better, then by all means step up to the plate and help your community out.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Part of the reason you have kids with kids is due to the attraction of the individuals that were brought in to take the low income housing. That certainly isn't the only factor, but I believe it is partially attributable. In regard to the drug problem, it isn't just Tyrone or PA, it is widespread across rural town in the US, especially meth. When you can purchase the ingredients of meth over the counter and produce a cheap product it makes it very difficult to combat.
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

I do agree. And it is unfortunate that we will now have a methadone clinic in Bellmeade. What a bad thing for this area. It will only attract more crime to this area. Take a look at what happened to Altoona once they started importing the drug heads from the cities. I just wish that filth would stay put and stop coming to our nice communities.

I am not bashing Tyrone. We do love it here. Along with the bad, there are alot of good things about this town. I've been around enough to know that ALL towns have issues. No one is perfect. I was venting more about the taxes. I do feel that the Tyrone Borough tax rate is extremely high for the services that are supplied to the community. It seams to me that we are now trying to pay back what the previous administration stole from the community.

I would never make it in politics. I'm way too honest for it.