Ice Mt gypsy moths

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Re: Ice Mt gypsy moths

Post by Ice Man »

cruiser1

Post by cruiser1 »

The gypsy moths are as welcome to Ice Mountain as Gamesa is.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Please keep the topic on track.

I have asked in the past to please keep references to the above site off our forum. Some members become confused by the news vs. satire ratio of the site.

Thank you
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

BTW, speaking of "Gypsy Moths." Have you seen todays Altoona Mirror ??
Section "A" page "9." Hummmmm.... "Gypsy Moth spraying hit the "targeted" areas.... "Reservoir Park, which wasn't sprayed and initially showed no signs of the moth, appears to have been infiltrated." "Fewer than 50 acres of the watershed are damaged beyond control" and (the forester) "recommended timbering those areas." I wonder, would these 50 acres (or less) be in the Ice Mountain area ?? Did they spray in that area ??
Also, I don't get it.... if they sprayed, "a targeted area," up in the watershed for these buggers... why, oh why, didn't they come down thru the Park and spray ??? It's obvious the buggers will "worm" their way in. It's not like there is a line or a fence to keep them out. That's our town's get away... To some people around here, that's all they have for their summertime fun. That's our beautiful forested picnic area plus, for the summer... that's where most the action is.... why, of all places, would they ignore spraying there ??? Even if they didn't see the buggers there at the time... why take a chance on our towns beautiful, well cared for, park ?? Can you imagine those things dripping off your picnic table ?? Or the kids bouncing their basketball on a wormy court ?? Whatever, it's too late now !! It should be real pretty up there next year !!!
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

My2Cents wrote:BTW, speaking of "Gypsy Moths." Have you seen todays Altoona Mirror ??
Section "A" page "9." Hummmmm.... "Gypsy Moth spraying hit the "targeted" areas.... "Reservoir Park, which wasn't sprayed and initially showed no signs of the moth, appears to have been infiltrated." "Fewer than 50 acres of the watershed are damaged beyond control" and (the forester) "recommended timbering those areas." I wonder, would these 50 acres (or less) be in the Ice Mountain area ?? Did they spray in that area ??
Also, I don't get it.... if they sprayed, "a targeted area," up in the watershed for these buggers... why, oh why, didn't they come down thru the Park and spray ??? It's obvious the buggers will "worm" their way in. It's not like there is a line or a fence to keep them out. That's our town's get away... To some people around here, that's all they have for their summertime fun. That's our beautiful forested picnic area plus, for the summer... that's where most the action is.... why, of all places, would they ignore spraying there ??? Even if they didn't see the buggers there at the time... why take a chance on our towns beautiful, well cared for, park ?? Can you imagine those things dripping off your picnic table ?? Or the kids bouncing their basketball on a wormy court ?? Whatever, it's too late now !! It should be real pretty up there next year !!!
I read the article and I believe it said Reservoir Park wasn't sprayed because BT can be harmful to aquatic life. In any case, I think a good number of the gypsy moths didn't survive our exceptionally cool, wet spring. I've notice we no longer have any around our house and in our trees, and our area wasn't sprayed. Anyway, one can hope we've been spared the worst!
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

SoccerMom wrote: I think a good number of the gypsy moths didn't survive our exceptionally cool, wet spring.
The weather has the greatest impact on gypsy moth populations. It dwarfs the impact of spraying Bt, which kills larvae of many moth and butterfly species, not just gypsy moth larvae.
WestEndHoagies

Post by WestEndHoagies »

Rick wrote:
Some members become confused by the news vs. satire ratio of the site.
Thank you for clarifying that. I often become confused regarding the legitimacy of articles on that site. I have painfully learned my lesson to not submit any more letters to the editor of the herald about Tyronians traveling to state college in order to use canine recreational facilities. Laughed in my face, he did. Embarrassed, I was.
"It has become appallingly clear that our hoagies have surpassed our humanity." ~ Albert Einstein
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

WestEndHoagies wrote:
Rick wrote:
Some members become confused by the news vs. satire ratio of the site.
Thank you for clarifying that. I often become confused regarding the legitimacy of articles on that site. I have painfully learned my lesson to not submit any more letters to the editor of the herald about Tyronians traveling to state college in order to use canine recreational facilities. Laughed in my face, he did. Embarrassed, I was.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Would you say that the gypsy moth impact was light this year? It was light on Brush Mountain, probably because of the wet weather. A fungus affects the caterpillars.