What would you say to someone considering moving to Tyrone?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
stapnir

What would you say to someone considering moving to Tyrone?

Post by stapnir »

What would you tell someone who said they were interested in moving to Tyrone? The good and the bad things, the "it's just that way" things.

Is it a friendly small town? Meaning, people are interested in new people, expect good things of them until proven otherwise.

Or are the people suspicious of new folks? Slow to warm up to them, quick to judge?

(I do know Tyrone is in a physically beautiful part of the state, and it has at least one person/family with the daring and ambition to paint their whole house purple...I loved that...)

Thank you,

Thinking about Moving
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: What would you say to someone considering moving to Tyrone?

Post by sandstone »

1. Excellent outdoor resources: extensive State Game Lands nearby for hiking, hunting, etc. (20,000+ acres), outstanding fishing and kayaking/canoeing on the Little Juniata River.

2. Close proximity to PSU, cultural activities, shopping, sports

3. Easy access to I-80 and PA Turnpike via I-99

4. Possibility of western vista being marred by industrial windplant

5. Can't really make generalizations about the people, everyone's an individual, but most are friendly.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Hope you have a job already lined up.

Because Blair county is pretty much the bottom of the barrel in PA when it comes to economic statistics, sustaining wages, and average annual salaries.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

- know for a fact that the people of Tyrone are there for each other in times of need. There is a helping hand to be had; I personally witnessed these acts of kindness when there was a fire on West 16th street. People came to offer the displaced family, food, clothing and prayers.

- Tyrone is a community with many amenities:
- 2 Fire Departments
- A school district that has a single location campus with Elementary, Middle, and Jr. / Sr. High Schools within walking distance of each other.
- We have our own Hospital
- Great Community amenities like a Community swimming pool with water slides and a very special park called Reservoir Park that has a nice playground for the kids and many picnic pavilions for spending quality time together. We recently built an outdoor roller hockey rink. There are Tennis Courts many many activities to numerous to mention.
- We may be a small quaint little town, but just 17 miles south you have many shopping choices in Altoona and about 26 miles north you Have State College Pa. Home of The Penn State Nittany Lions. The main campus of PSU is located there. So as you can see Tyrone is centrally located between so much activity, that if you want to get out of town for a bit you have many excellent choices.
I am sure there is more, but I am sure you don't want me to write a book...Oh Yes I can't forget, just 5 miles south you have great family fun at DelGrossos' Amusement Park, and right here in town is home to Gardners Candies. Where else could be a better place to call home. I was born and raised here and I proudly serve these great Tyrone people as a town Council Member.
Last edited by Bill Latchford on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I would want to know the following if I were considering Tyrone-

Public School Report Card
I would recommend that if you plan on raising children that you research the TAHS school districts report card with the State because essentially public school is your only local option (i.e. less than a 15 mile commute to get them to a private school which costs less than 35K and has an enrollment large enough to sustain it is an viable solution.) The following website is a great resource, but there is a fee to use it if you want to see results past 2001: http://www.psk12.com another good source: http://www.publicschoolreview.com/schoo ... l_id/71123

Drug Problem
To what extent should I be concerned about the drug problem in Tyrone? Is it one of if I don't look for it, it won't find me, or are the affects so bad that it will most likely affect me. Should I be concerned about my safety?

Job Situation
If you have a job where it is immaterial where you live, then this would not be a concern, however if you need to find a job, be prepared for some tough times. 48% of the students at TAHS qualify for the state free lunch program while the state average is 29%. That should tell you a lot about the economic situation of the town.

Atmosphere
Tyrone has always been a tight knit community where anyone coming in feels at home in a short amount of time. It's definitely a community which helps each other out.

Sports
If you are a Cleveland Brown, Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, or Cinncinnati Bengals fan, I suggest you go elsewhere... come to think of it, if you are a Patriots Fan the best place for you to move would be to Massachusetts, Connecticut, or Virgina (the latter esp if you have red hair.) On a scholastic level, Football reigns supreme over all sports, always has, always will..... and, if you have a kid who plays a sport in Tyrone, you are expected to criticize coaches as to why any other kids plays before your kid and be very blind to the fact that you kid probably isn't as good and probably has as p*ss poor of an attitude as you do.
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

What does one do in a "swilling pool"?
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

hykesmill wrote:What does one do in a "swilling pool"?

LOL... Well if one is swilling in a public pool.... I hope the public adheres to the "Don't pee in our pool, we don't swim in your toilet" rule...lol.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I don't live in Tyrone, but I would say the cost of living is fairly inexpensive; houses are cheap, and with the new highway we are starting to see it become a bedroom community for State College workers.

Tyrone is an excellent school district, recently receiving nation-wide awards and recognition. True, there is a high percentage of students living below the poverty level, but that qualifies Tyrone for several federally-funded programs, such as the K-4 program, which was nationally recognized for its excellence.

If you have children, there are plenty of activities for them to be involved in, including sports like soccer, baseball, basketball and football, as well as instructional classes such as karate, dance, swimming lessons year-around, and others.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

hykesmill wrote:What does one do in a "swilling pool"?
Darn spell checkers anyhow...it is a word at least meaning to guzzle or drink fast...lol I will fix it...Thanks for pointing it out...LOL :lol:
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

stapnir wrote:What would you say to someone considering moving to Tyrone?
"Welcome"

I was born and raised in the Altoona, Holidaysburg area, and moved away to Virginia for 3-4 years. When I came back to the area in 2000, we looked at nearly every area within 20-30 miles of those cities, and settled on Tyrone. It came down to Bellwood and Tyrone for us, we (my wife and I) liked the performance, and student-teacher ratios of those districts best.

We ultimately settled on Tyrone, mainly due to the proximity of State College, and the lower prices of real estate. State college is now a 25-30 minute drive north, and Altoona, a 20-25 minute drive south.

We have two children, both boys, six, and seven years old. Both are in Soccer, and we know their teachers by their first names.

Hope you come to join the community, and hope you aren't too intimidated by the message board's sometimes "heated" discussions.

:w

Rick
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Blain

Post by Blain »

I would say, I am from Tyrone, I live in Tyrone (Snyder Township anyway), and I am moving out of Tyrone.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I would say that Tyrone is a nice quaint town, family oriented. Unfortunately, main street leaves a lot to be desired. I also think the schools could be doing better in preparing our students for college, trade school and life in general. I have family in other parts of PA and some in the southern states and their kids seem to be way ahead. IB programs in high school and way more college credits before graduation. Not sure what the answer is to this. Growing up here, there was alot more for kids to do. Just cruising the strip was fun in itself, noone got hurt. Overall, it's a great place.
stapnir

Post by stapnir »

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I got a kick out of the "swilling pool." Hope it is tasty "swill," anyway!

Seems like people keep their sense of humor intact. Whether or not we move here, I wish the town all the best.