parking meters

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
80cobra

parking meters

Post by 80cobra »

What about these meters down town? The council says they can't do anything about it { or they dont want to} when Ace Hardware ask them at last weeks meeting. I can remember back when they used to give you half an hour courtesy parking if your meter ran out down town. What ever happened to that? Ticketing downtown business customers does not help promote more business for downtown Tyrone. I like to here other peoples ideas on this one.
Elliott

Re: parking meters

Post by Elliott »

Money and greed,they don't care about the citizens of this town as long as they get the almight dollar
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

Council is working on a way to get the nickel dime quarter thing back vs. the quarter only cost that is going on right now. I think that will balance things out again. The issue of not having meters and having them is not even a question. This is one of those topics where you have to admit that you can't please everyone. The issue is that if the meters are not there on some timed free parking, you have people that take advantage of it. When the meters were not as enforceable we had merchants coming in saying that residents would park in the spots for their customers all day long. So we get new meters in that are enforceable and now we have complaints that people don't have a quarter all the time to pop in the meter and then they end out with a ticket. I thought the quarter was a bit much anyhow, I had thought there would be a scaled amount at the meters and hopefully we will get back to that. I used to put a nickel in the meter to just run in and pick up my pizza at OIP. Now I don't always have a quarter on me so I just don't feed the meter and risk the ticket. I think the nickel dime quarter timed metering will alleviate much of the complaints.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Elliott wrote:Money and greed,they don't care about the citizens of this town as long as they get the almight dollar
:huh:

I still never understand the almighty dollar remarks, where do people think the money goes? There are services in the Borough that needs to be paid for, how would you like them to be paid, all out of taxes? I don't think so...It's like some believe the monies go physically into Council’s pockets or something...Can you explain your comment please Elliott? I am not trying to be a smart a** I just have heard these statements before and no one has really ever wanted to explain, or felt they didn't need to explain. I am just coming straight out and saying I don't get this comment. Maybe you see corruption at higher levels of the Government, but these people on the local level are your friends and neighbors whom want to make this a better place for all. We get like $65 a month for doing what we do so I certainly don't see where any of us are in it for the money.
The monies generated by parking meters and tickets are used to keep the parking system fair for all. If someone is using the spaces as their own personal parking space which does happen, this deters that action now. Now all people get a fair chance at parking in our community.
80cobra

Post by 80cobra »

what about revising the half hour courtesy parking like years ago, why isn't that an option?
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

What about imposing a half hour or 1 hour time limit on a parking space (using signs instead of meters)? Then if the law is broken, tow the vehicle. Seems you could make a much better profit that way. What is the fine for exceeding your time limit with a meter? Residents could park legally overnight, say 8pm-8am. I'm not sure if that would be feasible. Do you have to get new meters or can you convert the ones in existence for the dime, nickel, quarter option? Also, why is it that there is free short term parking at the post office. I read the argument about setting a precedent with Ace's request to do the same thing. How can someone even suggest that when there has always been free short term parking at USPS? The precedent was set a long time ago.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

What about putting a quarter in the machine and forgetting about it? Good idea to raise the meters to 15 minutes so maybe you get lucky and pull in behind someone and get some free minutes.

How much is a parking ticket? Try not paying the meters in any city and see what happens. Wait til Tyrone starts running plates to see who has outstanding tickets and then putting the boot on your car. *LOL* We need cameras for those reactions.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I was walking back to my office after lunch today and glanced out the window just in time to see someone getting a boot on their car across the street. :D I always laugh when I see that. Seriously though, be thankful you're only paying a quarter. That's a bargain compared to what we have to pay to park in uptown Charlotte for an hour. The Park-it police are on patrol 24/7 so there's no courtesy parking either. You either pay or you're wheel locked and/or towed.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

They are new meters, or at least the guts. We replaced all the meters insides with digital. I believe when we get the adjustment done to go back to nickel dime quarter all will be fine again. Right now it is just a quarter for a half an hour. That is the same as State College, but at least over here at State you can go a nickel dime quarter all being different time increments.
Elliott

Post by Elliott »

Bill i'm not talking about your money you get a month.What i'm saying is that the Boro could give a free half hour ,then if you didn't move or put money in the meter then you get a ticket.They want the citizens to shop Tyrone but if there in a store longer than a half hour they have to leave to put money in the meter or take a chance of getting a ticket.I don't think that is going to break the Boro.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

banksy wrote:What about putting a quarter in the machine and forgetting about it? Good idea to raise the meters to 15 minutes so maybe you get lucky and pull in behind someone and get some free minutes.

How much is a parking ticket? Try not paying the meters in any city and see what happens. Wait til Tyrone starts running plates to see who has outstanding tickets and then putting the boot on your car. *LOL* We need cameras for those reactions.

My question was how much is the fine if you don't feed the meter? I think it's legitimate.
80cobra

Post by 80cobra »

$5 if paid within 48hrs, Banksy the promblem with the meters is that alot of Ace Hardwares customers stop in multiple times a day to do business so lets say you stop in 4 times a day 4 days a week 45 weeks out of the year. Thats $180 and thats on average what alot of the local contractors will stop there. Banksy now do you see what the problem is? If you only have to stop for 5 minutes you shouln't have to pay a quarter.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Elliott wrote:Bill i'm not talking about your money you get a month.What i'm saying is that the Boro could give a free half hour ,then if you didn't move or put money in the meter then you get a ticket.They want the citizens to shop Tyrone but if there in a store longer than a half hour they have to leave to put money in the meter or take a chance of getting a ticket.I don't think that is going to break the Boro.
The meters have a 2 hour time limit on them...I can not imagine a store downtown that would require someone to be in there that amount of time. I think it is more the people being mad that they have to put a quarter in the meter for just a quick run into the store for like 5 - 10 minutes. That is why we need the nickel dime quarter thing back. I would feed the meter just to go pick up my pizza. It was just a nickel for 5 minutes. It's my town and I didn't mind a nickel. I don't always have a quarter in my car though, but I always seem to have a nickel or a dime. Just my thoughts.
I personally would not mind having meters at all, and just do the old chalking of the tire and record the time and if they are there an hour later ticket them. But these new meter heads were like $10,000 so I don't think they are going anywhere for a while. Anyhow I think the nickel dime quarter thing we be a step in the right direction.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

anne onimous1 wrote:
banksy wrote:What about putting a quarter in the machine and forgetting about it? Good idea to raise the meters to 15 minutes so maybe you get lucky and pull in behind someone and get some free minutes.

My question was how much is the fine if you don't feed the meter? I think it's legitimate.
Annie - I think the fine is like $7. I know that would make me feed the meter. :thumb:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

80cobra wrote:$5 if paid within 48hrs, Banksy the promblem with the meters is that alot of Ace Hardwares customers stop in multiple times a day to do business so lets say you stop in 4 times a day 4 days a week 45 weeks out of the year. Thats $180 and thats on average what alot of the local contractors will stop there. Banksy now do you see what the problem is? If you only have to stop for 5 minutes you shouln't have to pay a quarter.
80Cobra - That is why I support the nickle dime quarter deal... :thumb: Every once in a while you take the risk and you feel like you made out. But when you feel your luck may be running out, feed the meter a nickel.