parking meters

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
anne onimous1

Re: parking meters

Post by anne onimous1 »

Thanks for the reply.
Luke
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Luke »

How about a sticker that one could buy for the inside of their windshield. It would cost $20.00 a year and could let you in a spot for a maximum of 20 minutes....what you could call a 20/20 tag. I got that from spending .25 a day for 296 stops per year..something like that might work.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Luke wrote:How about a sticker that one could buy for the inside of their windshield. It would cost $20.00 a year and could let you in a spot for a maximum of 20 minutes....what you could call a 20/20 tag. I got that from spending .25 a day for 296 stops per year..something like that might work.
That sounds like an interesting idea Luke...we will see what the future holds and maybe that will come into play. :thumb:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

80cobra wrote:$5 if paid within 48hrs, Banksy the promblem with the meters is that alot of Ace Hardwares customers stop in multiple times a day to do business so lets say you stop in 4 times a day 4 days a week 45 weeks out of the year. Thats $180 and thats on average what alot of the local contractors will stop there. Banksy now do you see what the problem is? If you only have to stop for 5 minutes you shouln't have to pay a quarter.
Why doesn't ACE then just give patrons quarters to put in the meter if it is that important to them. By honestly, 4 times a day, 4 days a week, then either better planning or $180 is in order. I can see the irritation though when you are just pulling in to pick something up for 2 minutes, esp a place like OIP. You could be in there literally 30 seconds. Would the Boro consider something like a $25 annual pass that people could put on their dash that would preclude them from having to use the meters?

We had meters when I lived there, but I dont ever remember ever putting in money or getting a ticket. Maybe when the Boro sells out for the Windmills they can stop charging parking. It would be interesting to know how much Tyrone profits after paying Emigh's salary.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

I once read about a good samaritan feeding the meters ( I think it was in Washington, DC), he was fined because he was infringing upon the cities ability to make a buck on fines. I think that is ludacris. Still not sure why there is short term,free parking at the post office. Anyone? Maybe they pay the boro a monthly fee?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:
80cobra wrote:$5 if paid within 48hrs, Banksy the promblem with the meters is that alot of Ace Hardwares customers stop in multiple times a day to do business so lets say you stop in 4 times a day 4 days a week 45 weeks out of the year. Thats $180 and thats on average what alot of the local contractors will stop there. Banksy now do you see what the problem is? If you only have to stop for 5 minutes you shouln't have to pay a quarter.
Why doesn't ACE then just give patrons quarters to put in the meter if it is that important to them. By honestly, 4 times a day, 4 days a week, then either better planning or $180 is in order. I can see the irritation though when you are just pulling in to pick something up for 2 minutes, esp a place like OIP. You could be in there literally 30 seconds. Would the Boro consider something like a $25 annual pass that people could put on their dash that would preclude them from having to use the meters?

We had meters when I lived there, but I dont ever remember ever putting in money or getting a ticket. Maybe when the Boro sells out for the Windmills they can stop charging parking. It would be interesting to know how much Tyrone profits after paying Emigh's salary.
Another idea to consider Banksy....I.E. the annual parking pass...Just have to have it say something like 15 minutes free or something like that and then chalk that person's tire and watch the clock, to make sure they are not abusing the system. :thumb:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

anne onimous1 wrote:I once read about a good samaritan feeding the meters ( I think it was in Washington, DC), he was fined because he was infringing upon the cities ability to make a buck on fines. I think that is ludacris. Still not sure why there is short term,free parking at the post office. Anyone? Maybe they pay the boro a monthly fee?
The post office is a federal building and heck it took them forever to put a handicap ramp in...so I pretty much think they do what they want when they want. I also agree with you on the guy that was fined for feeding the meters. Heck I don't think the idea of meters is set up in hopes of receiving fines from them. To me that would be unheard of thinking...but maybe I am being naive. I do not believe that to be the case in our little Borough.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Do we have to feed these meters 24/7 ?? Is there not an evening/weekend break ??
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:Do we have to feed these meters 24/7 ?? Is there not an evening/weekend break ??
Hey there My2Cents - I am not aware of the Parking Meter person's hours. I do not believe it is 24/7 though. I wil find out and post it. :thumb:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks !! In the "good 'ole days" the meters were only fed from 9 AM 'til 5PM during the week. Wednesdays it was only from 9AM 'til noon... because the stores downtown would all be closed Wednesday afternoons. Not sure about Saturday, I don't think we fed them... for sure we didn't feed them on Sunday.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=11549
tyrone borough plans to soon reprogram parking meters to take nickels, dimes and quarters

By KRIS YANIELLO
Staff Writer
May 6, 2008

There has been much ado about the parking meter situation in Tyrone Borough ever since 144 new electronic meters replaced the old meters downtown at the end of last year.
The new meters only take quarters, which provides one half hour of parking for each quarter put into the meter, with up to two hours of parking. Many Tyrone residents, business owners, and visitors to the borough felt that a quarter was a lofty price when the majority of downtown shoppers may only visit a store for five or ten minutes.
The borough originally had 153 parking meters, but several meters were removed in front of the old YMCA building on Logan Avenue, and 12 of the original nickel and dime meters still exist in different downtown areas.
At last evening’s borough council work session, council decided to make plans to reprogram the 144 new meters to accept a nickel for five minutes of parking, a dime for ten minutes of parking, and a quarter for one half hour of parking downtown.
The borough also plans to replace the 12 old meters that still exist with similar electronic meters that are already installed downtown. The borough highway department and police department will be working to have the old meter heads removed until the new meters are obtained.
When the borough purchased the 144 new electronic meters from POM Inc. last year, the funds for the project were budgeted in the police department fund. Last month, council thought that the meter situation might have to be put on hold until next year’s budget, but last night council decided to take money from this year’s general fund so that the issue could be resolved quicker.
According to Bobra Wilbanks, POM Inc. technical sales manager, it will only cost the borough $100 to reprogram the 144 new meters downtown. The borough will have to rent a handheld communicator, at $100, that can reprogram each meter from the present quarter price for one half hour, to a nickel, dime, and quarter system.
The 12 old meters that still exist in the borough can be replaced with new meters at a cost of $1,502.52. Each new meter costs $125.21, with shipping included.
The borough hopes that the meter switch over will ease the many concerns and complaints it has received from residents and business owners.
“We didn’t have any complaints when it was nickel, dime, and quarter, other than from certain people,” said Councilperson Bill Latchford. “But in regards to people having to pop in a quarter just to walk in somewhere for five minutes to pick up something, I think that was what the biggest contention was.”
Mayor James Kilmartin thinks that reprogramming the meters is “good.” The mayor recently received his own parking ticket downtown last week while he was attending a ribbon cutting at the new Verizon store.
“I think council’s heard the different business owners and residents’ complaints,” said Kilmartin. “I think this is going to be a great compromise.”
Council will make a final decision at the Monday, May 12 regular session. If it is voted to move forward with the reprogramming and replacing of the existing 12 old meters, downtown parking prices will significantly drop in the coming months.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Even so, do we feed these things 7 days a week 24 hours a day ??
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:Even so, do we feed these things 7 days a week 24 hours a day ??
If you want a 100% guarantee that you won't get a ticket, then Yes. Keep in mind there is one person issuing tickets and he isn't working 24x7, there are probably times when you can get away with it.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Yessssbutt.... 24/7 ??!! That's a bit much. I could see Monday thru Friday 9 to 5....but, 24/7 :shock: surely that can't be. Besides, someone randomly driving or walking thru town and seeing a car at an expired meter in the evenings, weekends and/or nighttime, could then stop and ticket the car ??!! Maybe this person could be in a hurry to get somewhere, ignore what they see, and not ticket the car.... making this whole thing unfair.... depending on the status of the drive-by, some will get it, and some won't.... take your chances ??!! Nope, I don't buy it. 24/7 is a bit much for anyone coming into town during the evenings, stopping at a resturant to eat, visiting with friends, going to Gardner's for candy, and/or, ice cream, or the dollar store, or whatever... and have to feed a parking meter during these times is not right.
I think times should be established, if they are not, and if this guy is getting paid 24/7 fine, but, if it is a regular 8 hours a day, 5 days a week thingy, then I think the meters should go according to the normal working hours of the person reading them. Or, at least, somewhere within the range of anyone's normal working day.
Feeding a parking meter off hours, and/or, giving tickets in the evenings is not a very neighborly Tyrone thing to do.... it certainly will not bring people to town.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I hate to say this, but I've always assumed that the meters were for daytime use. I know I've never fed a meter in the evening, after 6pm, and I don't think anyone else does either. I think they do usually realize that these meters are for daytime use, although, obviously maybe I've incorrectly assumed that. I always thought there was an unspoken rule though that weekends and evenings were "free" times. If that's wrong, I don't know how it would be monitored either...