WATERSHED GAS DRILLING

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: WATERSHED GAS DRILLING

Post by Something to say »

Ice Man wrote:Drilling carries a hefty environmental price

Work can erode water sources, roads, home life

By Tom Wilber
Press & Sun-Bulletin

The quest for riches in the Marcellus Shale Formation is off to a rocky start -- at least in parts of northern Pennsylvania.

There, companies drilling into the massive natural gas resource have drained streams and spilled diesel fuel on pristine countryside.

Drill operators working for Range Resources and Chief Oil & Gas last month illegally diverted tens of thousands of gallons of water a day from rural streams to large-scale drilling operations in Lycoming County, west of Scranton, according to a report form the state Department of Environmental Protection. The DEP partially shut down the operation.

"We hope to have it resolved soon," Kristi Gittins, vice president for Chief Oil & Gas said Friday. "We fully comply with all regulations."

And in Susquehanna County, about 800 gallons of diesel fuel -- dyed bright red to help track it in the event of a spill -- leaked from a storage tank at a Cabot Oil drilling site, threatening a nearby stream. Emergency responders were containing and cleaning the mess last week.

For local property owners giddy about the prospects of their own lucrative land deals, it has been a sobering vision to see heavy equipment diverting stream beds and bright red diesel fuel flowing through ditches...

"For the love of money is a root of all evil: and some whose hearts were fixed on it have been turned away from the faith, and been wounded with unnumbered sorrows." The Bible, 1 Timothy ( theist or not...makes sense to me )

We NEED money to live...we shouldn't LIVE for Money.

.... I'm all for change for the greater good, but sheesh ...use common sense. Digging, drilling, building, moving earth anywhere NEAR a watershed is just plain stoopid. If you are to gain from an endeavor but in the end have to pay for that endeavor......then it was all for naught. Pssttttttt... Borough Council...
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

I'm still undecided, trying to figure out if this is a good idea or not. Just reading the above posts, I can understand the money side of it, but, my gosh... playing around and drilling in a watershed area is not a good idea at all.
Why choose a watershed area or enter onto someones private property without asking first ?? I'm having a lot of trouble trying to understand why these places are being chosen like this.
Radon, acid rock, etc....whew... I don't think they should fool around drilling and taking chances like this. It should be a known fact that an area is 100% safe and nothing around the area will be adversely effected by the drilling. Also, as mentioned above, if they are playing around with misleading words and sentences ... that, in itself, should be paid close attention to.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hummmm.... been doing some homework on this subject since last evening, however, there is still a lot more to be learned. NOPE !!!! As I see it now, this is not good for the people and any watershed area around here !!! So far, I'm not getting any good vibes about this next step which is being planned (or thought about) for the life of Tyrone PA and it's citizens.
Here we are having people fall for the windmill money gimic... wait 'til some folk hear about backyard gas drilling. It's sounding like this will pay off a lot more than windmills too. Here we go again.... another money, money, money gimic !!!
Are we going to be in deep do-do in years to come if we ban windmills and ban gas drilling in the backyards and watershed areas ?? I mean, shame on us if we are lucky enough to accomplish the banning of both. Years from now they will be glad that the wind mills didn't go up,but, ....but, backyard frac'ing gas ??!! I don't know.... where's JR ??
This whole area, is part of a hot bed for radon. It is left unsaid, you don't hear too much about it around here at all. Unless things have changed, you could not buy, and/or sell, a house in Maryland until it was checked for radon.
Dangle the bait once more... all this money we are going to need for all these "things...." Still, we cannot fool Mother Nature !!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I know back in '92, when I bought my home, we were mandated to have a Radon test...So my guess since Radon is pretty plentiful in this area that it is probably the rule in this state also to have a home tested before buying/selling. From looking over the numbers that I have seen...it certainly is profitable. The lease of land is paid even if nothing is found on the land. That is a big risk for sure. I do not know if this gas/drilling industry is subsidized like the Wind Farms are...Anyone know? If it is not, these people are certainly taking a risk with the monies they are paying out.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Even though the Borough Council might reject the gas wells on borough land, neighboring private land owners might go for it anyway. Unlike a windfarm, where you need at least 25 turbines to be economically viable, a half-dozen gas wells yield a tidy profit! Snyder Township does not prohibit gas wells in drinking water watersheds or County Natural Heritage Areas. It should, but it doesn't.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I just reread sandstones original post on this subject. The first post, by sandstone, on this subject explains everything and absolutely says it all. Also, the plummer hollow thread, which is included within that post, concerning the dilemma the Bonta's are facing is very informative... or should I say shocking.
It's almost unbelieveable to realize the fact that you own your property, you live there, you set up your life there... yet, someone could just walk in, knock on your door (or, as in this case, send you a letter) and TELL you they are going to drill for gas.... sign here. WOW !!!
Please read on down in that thread folks... there is a lot to be learned in there also.
My gosh, by the sounds of things we are going to have a lot of rich folk running around town.
The money sounds good, I can understand why folks would give them the go ahead... I probably would. What next ??
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Here's a story from the Altoona Mirror about Ebensburg in Cambria County. The Borough of Ebensburg owns less than half as much land as the Borough of Tyrone:

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.d ... ml?nav=742

Ebensburg seeks plans for drilling

Borough could receive $1.2 million by selling land rights for natural gas

By David Hurst, dhurst@altoonamirror.com POSTED: June 24, 2008

EBENSBURG - Borough officials are seeking proposals on a gas drilling lease - the first step in what could be a multimillion-dollar payout for Ebensburg.

Ebensburg officials voted to advertise their mineral rights for bid Monday, seeking interest from the growing number of drillers who want to pump natural gas trapped thousands of feet below ground.

But Borough Council likely won't award the lease until August after negotiating later this summer with top bidders for a final, more lucrative deal, Borough Manager Dan Penatzer said.

''This certainly could be a great shot in the arm for the borough,'' Councilman Doug Tusing told residents.

But the borough, which has included a long list of stipulations within its lease terms, is proceeding cautiously.

The bid invitation puts more than 1,250 acres of borough and municipal authority-owned land on the table - with expectations of $1,000 or more per acre.

With a 5-year lease, the borough would want that amount paid in full within 60 days of contract signing, meaning at $1,000 an acre, it would pump more than $1.2 million into the borough.

The council also wants land use fees if drilling occurs on borough land, ''shut-in'' fees if wells are closed and, of course, royalty payments that Penatzer said could ''dwarf'' up front signing bonuses.

Currently, royalties are being paid at 15 percent, but the borough hopes to negotiate a higher rate.

There also are other addenda - ones Penatzer said bidders won't be bound to accept but will help their chances of locking a deal, he said.

Among them, Ebensburg also is requesting a price match clause that would lock drillers into paying more if they sign a better rate with another landowner shortly after a deal is signed with Ebensburg.

''For us, those addenda are the most important part of the lease,'' he told the council.

The borough has done its homework, solicitor Blair Pawlowski said - and Penatzer said its plan ensures environmental, land and drill site issues are addressed.

Companies would use horizontal drilling methods to bore more than a mile and a half under ground - far below water supplies - to reach natural gas pockets trapped between layers of rock.

The region's gas supply has become more enticing with energy costs rising.

The Altoona City Authority also has been approached about allowing drilling on its 6,700-acre watershed property, which could bring in tens of millions of dollars if drilling occurred.

''This is going to be a windfall for many municipalities - something we never would have thought a few years ago,'' Mayor Charlie Moyer said. ''But this is new to us - and it is borough property, which is why we had to be careful with how we approached this.''

Mirror Staff Writer David Hurst is at 946-7457.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:Even though the Borough Council might reject the gas wells on borough land, neighboring private land owners might go for it anyway. Unlike a windfarm, where you need at least 25 turbines to be economically viable, a half-dozen gas wells yield a tidy profit! Snyder Township does not prohibit gas wells in drinking water watersheds or County Natural Heritage Areas. It should, but it doesn't.
In the windplant forum on this site you said that each gas well could generate as much revenue for the borough as 45 industrial wind turbines. Since only 15 turbines could fit on borough property, ONE gas well on borough land would provide 3 x as much money for the borough as the 15 wind turbines would.

Which would be more environmentally harmful; ONE gas well or FIFTEEN industrial wind turbines?
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
sandstone wrote:Even though the Borough Council might reject the gas wells on borough land, neighboring private land owners might go for it anyway. Unlike a windfarm, where you need at least 25 turbines to be economically viable, a half-dozen gas wells yield a tidy profit! Snyder Township does not prohibit gas wells in drinking water watersheds or County Natural Heritage Areas. It should, but it doesn't.
In the windplant forum on this site you said that each gas well could generate as much revenue for the borough as 45 industrial wind turbines. Since only 15 turbines could fit on borough property, ONE gas well on borough land would provide 3 x as much money for the borough as the 15 wind turbines would.

Which would be more environmentally harmful; ONE gas well or FIFTEEN industrial wind turbines?
The overall level of risk is about equal, but the financial reward from a gas well is MUCH higher.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sandstone wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

The overall level of risk is about equal, but the financial reward from a gas well is MUCH
higher.
Besides that, it's a sure thing if gas is there. We will know what we are getting and It will be made in the USA. There won't be a landscape full of "gotchas" sticking up above the trees forever. The trees that are left I mean.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

The overall level of risk is about equal, but the financial reward from a gas well is MUCH higher.
I sure hope Borough Council is wise enough to postpone the vote on Gamesa's proposal until more is known about the natural gas well option. Having both a windplant and a gas well on Ice Mountain would be an incredible slap-in-the-face to Ice Mountain's status as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area. Personally, I could adapt to having a gas well on Ice Mountain, but a 15-turbine wind farm would be MUCH too obtrusive.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

DEP SECRETARY SAYS MARCELLUS SHALE HOLDS TREMENDOUS OPPORTUNITY FOR PENNSYLVANIA’S COMMUNITIES, ECONOMY

Assures Committee that Environmental Safeguards Will Protect Land, Water

HARRISBURG – Environmental Protection Acting Secretary John Hanger told a state House panel today that the department is working to maximize the opportunities citizens, communities and companies can realize through the development of the natural gas contained in the Marcellus Shale formation, while also protecting Pennsylvania’s natural resources.

“There is no question that the Marcellus Shale holds tremendous economic potential for Pennsylvania’s families and its communities,” Hanger told the House Environmental Resources and Energy Committee as he explained how DEP is responding to increased drilling activity in the 5,000- to 8,000-foot-deep geologic formation. “This exciting potential also brings with it the need to act responsibly and ensure that Pennsylvania’s valuable natural resources are not sacrificed in the process.” The Marcellus Shale formation is estimated to hold as much as 50 trillion cubic feet of recoverable natural gas under Pennsylvania, New York and West Virginia. Penn State University estimates the economic value of the formation at $1 trillion and that, for every $1 billion in royalties paid to Pennsylvania residents, nearly 8,000 new jobs will be created each year over the next three years. Extracting natural gas from the Marcellus Shale requires a process known as horizontal drilling, which uses far greater amounts of water than traditional natural gas exploration. The water can come from various sources, including municipal suppliers or streams. Concerns about the effects of large water withdrawals on streams and aquifers have prompted the need to regulate planned withdrawals at drilling operations.

“Each drilling operation in the Marcellus Shale will require substantial volumes of water, much more than conventional drilling operations,” said Hanger. “Ensuring that water withdrawals do not threaten Pennsylvania’s environment or ecosystems is one of the department’s primary concerns.” In May, DEP inspectors found environmental violations at drilling sites in Lycoming County. The department quickly responded and has worked with the Susquehanna and Delaware river basin commissions, as well as with the oil and gas industry, to create a consistent statewide application process for Marcellus Shale drilling permits that requires gas well operators to protect Pennsylvania’s water resources. Under the enhanced process, drilling operators must provide additional information, including the sources and locations of water to be used in the drilling process, anticipated impacts of drilling on water resources, and locations of facilities where drilling fluids will be taken for treatment and disposal. Since Aug. 15, DEP has issued 83 permits containing the enhanced water management requirements to companies seeking to drill for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale formation

DEP has created a Web page specific to the Marcellus Shale that features resources for industry and information on drilling questions for landowners and the public. The page is available at www.depweb.state.pa.us, keyword: Oil and Gas, then click on “Marcellus Page.”

###
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

“Each drilling operation in the Marcellus Shale will require substantial volumes of water, much more than conventional drilling operations,” said Hanger. “Ensuring that water withdrawals do not threaten Pennsylvania’s environment or ecosystems is one of the department’s primary concerns.”

Substantial volumes of water -- to the tune of up to 4 million gallons per well when it is hydaulically drilled -- is essential to natural gas drilling. Chemicals, water and sand are forced into the geologic formation under enormous pressure in a process known as hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking." Pressure forces the natural gas to the surface. With it comes millions of gallons of water and a mix of underground materials that must be stored in large sludge pits. Leakage from these sludge pits can contaminate streams and the shallow groundwater table with salts, naturally radioactive materials and man-made chemicals.

Unless state regulatory agencies match the growth in exploration and drilling with increased numbers of regulators and increased fines when companies fail to protect the environment, natural gas drilling into the Marcellus Shale could overwhelm our water quality.
yertle

Post by yertle »

SoccerMom wrote:“Each drilling operation in the Marcellus Shale will require substantial volumes of water, much more than conventional drilling operations,” said Hanger. “Ensuring that water withdrawals do not threaten Pennsylvania’s environment or ecosystems is one of the department’s primary concerns.”

Substantial volumes of water -- to the tune of up to 4 million gallons per well when it is hydaulically drilled -- is essential to natural gas drilling. Chemicals, water and sand are forced into the geologic formation under enormous pressure in a process known as hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking." Pressure forces the natural gas to the surface. With it comes millions of gallons of water and a mix of underground materials that must be stored in large sludge pits. Leakage from these sludge pits can contaminate streams and the shallow groundwater table with salts, naturally radioactive materials and man-made chemicals.

Unless state regulatory agencies match the growth in exploration and drilling with increased numbers of regulators and increased fines when companies fail to protect the environment, natural gas drilling into the Marcellus Shale could overwhelm our water quality.
Soccer Mom - I've read a number of articles in reliable publications (including Nature and Popular Science) that the environmental risks posed by "fracking" have really been overblown.

Here's an excellent video detailing how this hoax has been perpetuated by environmental extremists like the Sierra Club and Green Peace.

Sierra Club's Fracking Hoax
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Thanks for Rick-rolling us Yertle. :rofl: