Guard Deployment

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bock

Guard Deployment

Post by Bock »

The 56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team of the Pennsylvania National Guard’s 28th Infantry Division was called up today for deployment, probably Iraq but possibly to Afghanistan. The deployment is from January to March 2009.

I am looking to talk with any local soldiers who are a part of this and/or their families for a Mirror article. My email is gbock@altoonamirror.com.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsart ... x?id=50359
momto2

Re: Guard Deployment

Post by momto2 »

Are you certain of the facts here...The 56th Stryker Brigade has known since last October that they are mobilizing in September of this year and will be in Iraq from January through September 2009.
Bock

Post by Bock »

Yes, I checked my facts. It's more of an issue of terms used by the military. They were put on alert last October (the Mirror reported it, too) with the expectation they would be going, but the Department of Defense today - Monday June 30, 2008, officially gave the word. Since the link in my post apparently went unread, I'll just post the story via the DOD's news service.

Six Units Get Call for 2009 Iraq Deployment
By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, June 30, 2008 – The Defense Department has alerted six combat units for deployment to Iraq from January to March 2009, officials said here today.

Though the announcement identifies forces for the current level of effort in Iraq, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said, it does not try to predict decisions down the road.

“It’s proper, prudent planning to give units the time to train and to ensure they are notified in a deliberate fashion and well in advance of when they would have to deploy,” Whitman said.

The four Army combat brigades and two Marine regimental combat teams cover about 33,000 personnel. These are normal rotation forces, and all of the units have the capability of performing full-spectrum combat operations.

The Marine units notified today are Regimental Combat Team 8 and Regimental Combat Team 6, both based in Camp Lejeune, N.C.

The Army units are the 1st Cavalry Division’s 1st and 2nd brigade combat teams, based at Fort Hood, Texas; the 10th Mountain Division’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team, based at Fort Drum, N.Y.; and 56th Stryker Brigade Combat Team of the Pennsylvania National Guard’s 28th Infantry Division.

The announcement for the 12-month deployments assumes a force level of 15 brigade combat teams in Iraq. “This is a planning effort for maintaining a 15-combat-brigade level,” Whitman said.

“That doesn’t mean decisions down the road couldn’t affect this,” he added. “You can always have units that redeploy earlier and deploy later. This is a planning effort to sustain the current level of operations.”

The last surge brigade will leave Iraq by the end of July. Some 45 days later, officials in Iraq, U.S. Central Command and the Pentagon will assess conditions in Iraq “post-surge,” Whitman said. Decisions after that review could affect deployments, he said.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

For the sake of our nation and our troops, I hope and pray for a McCain win in November.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

For the sake of our Nation, I pray and hope for a Obama win in November.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

banksy wrote:For the sake of our Nation, I pray and hope for a Obama win in November.
It's significant that you did not mention our troops. :flag:
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

I was a member of that unit for 8 years. I am not a very religious person, however, I do pray for a safe journey for all of you. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you! This will not be easy for the families of those who serve.

I also do not want to start a political debate; however, I also hope that for the sake of our country, that McCain wins. I really don't want my taxes to go any higher along with everything else!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

How about no politics and we all just pray for safe and speedy tour. If you’re not much into praying just keep these brave folks in your thoughts. All that serve and have served should be thanked for their efforts and sacrifices. They are why we have the freedoms we have today. :flag:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Ice Man wrote:
banksy wrote:For the sake of our Nation, I pray and hope for a Obama win in November.
It's significant that you did not mention our troops. :flag:
Not really, I consider them part of our Nation.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Ice Man wrote:For the sake of our nation and our troops, I hope and pray for a McCain win in November.
exbellwoodian wrote:I was a member of that unit for 8 years. I am not a very religious person, however, I do pray for a safe journey for all of you. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you! This will not be easy for the families of those who serve.
I also do not want to start a political debate; however, I also hope that for the sake of our country, that McCain wins. I really don't want my taxes to go any higher along with everything else!
To ALL in the 56th Stryker Brigade... THANK YOU for serving our country. God Speed and know we are PROUD of you !! Take good care !!! :flag: