Stony Point Restoration

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Stony Point Restoration

Post by sandstone »

This sure sounds like worthy project to restore a significant part of Tyrone's natural heritage:

Local business man seeks interest in restoring the 'Stony Point' landmark on Tyrone's eastside

By KRIS YANIELLO
Staff Writer, Tyrone Daily Herald
July 10, 2008

Since Tyrone's humble beginnings back in 1857, "Stony Point" has been a landmark in the community's eastside. Also known as "The Bluffs," the rock cliff is located on 15th Street behind the home of the American Legion, but today a person may not even know it exists.

Stony Point has slowly disappeared over the years with unattended tree and brush growth that has now obliterated the old and to some people, historic view.

Tyrone business man and long-time eastside resident, Larrie Derman, would like to see Stony Point's majestic view and unusual appearance recaptured so that generations to come will always have its vision in their sight.

"I've been talking about it for quite a few years to people," said Derman. "I just got to thinking, why not try something tangible? I lived out there since I was five, so it's kind of personal for me."

Derman hopes that people in the Tyrone community will become interested in seeing Stony Point back the way it used to be. Whether it is a volunteer effort or if there is a monetary need, he thinks the proposal is feasible and worthwhile.
The main issue for Derman would be to get the interest and permission of the current owners of the Stony Point property to allow volunteers and loggers to clear the cliff of the trees growing out of the rocks and at the base.
"We wouldn't be interfering with their privacy at all, but I don't want to cause any problems," said Derman. "I just thought that maybe there's enough interest out there to possibly bring Stony Point back."

Tyrone Borough Code Enforcement Officer James Metzgar said that a project such as clearing Stony Point wouldn't require a permit to do so, unless the ground would be disturbed. He agreed that permission of the property owners could be the only obstacle to overcome.

The history behind Stony Point is as inspiring as the need to bring it back to life. Originally, a large part of the land that the rock cliff watches over was owned by Samuel Beyer. The land separated two towns - Tyrone and East Tyrone - but in 1893, East Tyrone was made part of the Tyrone Borough.

In the 1920's, the present American Legion home was the residence of the Tyrone Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad Superintendent J.K. Johnston. At that time, there was a log house atop Stony Point and a wooden stair case that led up to it. There was also a cave entrance at the bottom of the cliff that was filled in after the 1936 flood brought the calm stream of Dry Run, now Sink Run, to a roaring overflow.

The cave is now six feet below the ground and high walls were built along the stream after the flood, according to the Tyrone Historical Society.

Today, the American Legion owns a portion of Stony Point, and Cummins McNitt, owner of Stony Point Bed & Breakfast on North Avenue, the former Newlin family residence, owns six and one-half acres of the land that once kept apart two sides of the Tyrone community.

According to Derman and longtime Tyrone resident Burley Zerbe, the eastside of Tyrone and the borough weren't always friendly with each other. In the early stages of the twentieth century in Tyrone, there was a prominent eastside gang who didn't always welcome visiting borough residents.

"There was a 'Stony Point Gang' out there," said Derman. "If the guys from downtown would go out there, they'd get roughed up - that's the way it was, it was an area related thing."

Zerbe, who celebrated his 85th birthday yesterday, said he can recall in the late 1920's when the gang would go up to Stony Point in the summertime and build fires all over the top of the hills. He also recalls taking walks in the 1980's up to Stony Point and finding old timbers that used to support the log cabin that sat on top of the cliff.

Both men spoke of the cave that still exists under Stony Point. Zerbe said he was told that the cave runs all the way through the hill and comes out on 10th Street. Some say that there is a rather large water source that runs underneath the plot of land. Lincoln School and a home near the corner of 10th Street and Lincoln Avenue suffered deep collapses similar to sink holes through the years.

"Nobody to my knowledge ever explored the cave," added Zerbe.

Derman noted that there is a similar rock cliff located by the American Eagle Paper Mill, which is a mystery of sorts on how the two cliffs became separated.

"I could never figure out how one ended here and one ended over there with nothing in between," said Derman. "Perhaps the old Bald Eagle Creek washed it away over the years, but regardless, it's some thing."

Stony Point is and has always been a landmark in the community. Over the last 10 to 20 years it has slowly dwindled from sight. Bringing it back to form would also bring a piece of Tyrone's history back to the people who reside not just on the eastside, but in all of Tyrone.

Anyone interested in assisting Derman's efforts is more than welcomed to call him at 684-3671.
salaman

Re: Stony Point Restoration

Post by salaman »

"Stony Point" is a quite impressive display of nearly vertical dipping limestone of the Helderburg formation. The entire hill, which runs to 6th street nearly a mile away, is of this formation. If you walk the ridge top you will see weathered limestone exposed along the way. On the 6th street end there is a resident who has an old hand dug turn of the century quarry at the edge of his yard. There used to be three caves located between his home and Schell Run. All have been closed either by the borough or land slips. A few years back I found a crack that blows a copious amount of cold air. In the winter, during extremely cold spells, it ices the limbs above it. During extended dry spells in the summer, I have seen Sink Run disappear in it's bed before it reaches "Stony Point". It would be really interesting to do some dye tracing at this time to see where it resurges; maybe at the big spring at the Tyrone armory. It really would be nice if the cave at "Stony Point" could be reopened and gated to prevent vandalism or accidents. The Helderburg formation is known for it's ability to form incredibly beautiful speleothems.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

salaman wrote: It really would be nice if the cave at "Stony Point" could be reopened and gated to prevent vandalism or accidents.

There's a nice picture of the cliff at http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=11907
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I used to play peewee baseball on the little ball field right under the cliff. It felt like you were in the Grand Canyon back then. When it was my turn out at the scoreboard I remember looking so far up and thinking that I could see the whole world from up there. I also remember later in my childhood playing army on that hill. My friends and I would hide in the brush and watch the older kids' crossing over the path over the whole. After seeing the pictures from the above story it brought back so many memories, and it sure made me think about how over grown it really is. This sounds like a great project...
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I wonder how hard and long the wind blows up there?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:I wonder how hard and long the wind blows up there?
Good question....The last time I was up there I was trying to recover my vandalized GeoCache. If I recall it was a fairly breezy day. :D
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

banksy wrote:I wonder how hard and long the wind blows up there?
See
http://www.pawindmap.org/htm/viewer.htm

Class 1 wind: unsuitable for industrial windplant development.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Fantastic idea Larry !! Maybe even build a little shed on the top of it like it once had. That cliff brings back a lot of good, fun-time, memories.. be it, on it, above it, or beyond it. Does anyone remember the day that Mrs. Bilger's clothesline was "borrowed" for a certain event :mrgreen:. Does anyone remember someone saying, "nake, nake, no nipmunk ??!!" Oh, the memories... we had good times up there :lol:.
At one time, it was a good idea to fill in the "cave," ... back then, it was an accident waiting to happen. However, as salaman and Ice Man stated.... opening it up now, and protecting it somehow, would be a great idea !!! Sadly, we won't have that clothes line to depend on anymore.
Who knows, salaman may have found "something" up there on that hilltop that this town has never been aware of. Maybe... just maybe.... another cavern....:thumb:
Elliott

Post by Elliott »

Sounds like a good idea,i think there is alot of good memories that peole would help cleanig the cliff up!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Has anyone noticed the "Stony Point Cliff ??" "Someone" is restoring it.... it's beginning to look like it did in the good 'ole days !! The cliff used to be the white'ish color of limestone, stood out, and was very noticeable. Seeing it today, for the first time in many years, it looked so dark and dirty. In time, that cliff will be white again. A few years, and a few good rainstorms, will wash away all those years of neglect and crud accumulation. Whoever is restoring it is doing a fantastic job !! One more piece of our town... restored and saved for future generations.
Thank you, whoever you are :flag: .
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

My2Cents... I have NOT noticed the stony point restoration progress and I drive past there pretty much--daily. My bad. But you can bet your sweet bippie Ima gonna look today!

( how ya like that lingo? hahaha Ya reckon we'll get dat langwidge? Hey/////ja git yaself a swedder? Yup...got meself won over at ye walmart store! hahaha Dem folk are reaaaaaal nice over dere two. They greet ya at da door...an I bleeve I heared one of em say theyd take my buggy. Aint figgard out whereto tho. Dat dang girl at dat mcdonnies on da vollabard....she aint real plessant. Reckon she willnt last long over dere. ) :rolleyes:

:ttiwwp:

That had nothing at all to do with this thread...sorry. My2Cents...I'm gonna go get a badge lol :bluebounce:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:rofl: youze sooooo funny!! Enjoy the cliff !! Youns have a goot time'n take a picture !!!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

It is looking great...I drive straight at it every work day from up Columbia Ave. Keep up the great work to whom ever is doing the work :thumb: and thanks :D
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Yup, Yup...paid attention today. Lookin good!