Kaup Family Needs Help

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Kaup Family Needs Help

Post by banksy »

I see on the front page the Kaup Family has a need for help and I was wondering how many of us could pitch in to help their family?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Re: Kaup Family Needs Help

Post by Bill Latchford »

If we all who can afford drop a buck or two or more in the cans that are placed throughout the community I am sure it will be a help. I have seen the people of Tyrone help those that face these types of problems and they have always come through for them. :thumb:
Leep

Post by Leep »

I wonder if anyone would post their address.. I'm in Montana so I'll have to send a check...

Thanks..
Leep:
Doorman

Post by Doorman »

The Home address is 1109 Lincoln Ave
twinsmom

Post by twinsmom »

I am married to George's brother. I know that the family would appreciate any words of encouragement your might give! His email address is

bigbuzz1109@yahoo.com

Today the code enforcer came to the house and informed George that the ramp did not meet code. It is such a discouraging situation! Their story was the lead on WTAJ 10 News at 6:00. Here is the link if you would like to read or view the video. Thanks for your prayers.

http://wearecentralpa.com/content/fulltext/?cid=16621
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

I am all for the code enforcer trying to get rid of some of these old run down houses and buildings; however, I believe he has gone way too far on this ramp issue. Why could he not let this one go? Does he realize how much it would cost to have an engineer come do a drawing and sign off on this?? This is totally stupid!! The people of Tyrone support you Kaup's!! Don't take your ramp down!
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I agree 100 percent,I think the laws go to far and its all about the MONEY.Keep fighting the fight George there are more people behind you than you realize. :mob:
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

This is sad. I cannot believe that this was the most important issue the code enforcement officer had to address. I think the only reason anything was said was because the publicity about the Kaup's brought it to his attention. I am sure he has many other codes he can be enforcing in tyrone that are much more important than this. I take it compassion was not a job requirement for code officer.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Common sense should also be used with code enforcement officer. I am certain the spirit of the law would agree that this ramp is not what the code is about. The mayor should address this. Also, it would be nice to know if there was a complaint or if it really was the publicity that brought it out to be inspected. If someone did not complain, the enforcement officer should have used common sense and played stupid the proper way.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

How much would a fine be, and how frequent could the fine be levied? Could someone call the a-wipes in charge and let me know? I've got half a notion to pay the d*mn fines myself and then the ramp can be taken down once all is healed.
twinsmom

Post by twinsmom »

My husband, George's brother, called the code enforcer. As it was explained to him, the ramp is not safe. It is not long enough to meet the federal Americans with Disabilities Act. (The ramp needs to rise no more that 1" per foot. Currently it is too steep.) The ramp needs to be safe for not only Kathy, but anyone who would visit her in a wheel chair. If anyone was injured, the first question that would be asked is "Who approved this structure?" Then the insurance company would wonder why the code enforcer was not doing his job. My husband and I totally understand the Borough's position in this.

The more the Kaup's hear from the public to keep the ramp, don't take it down, the more unwilling they become to comply. Mr. Metzger is doing his job. Those who encourage him to keep the ramp are not the ones who will pay the fine. That responsibility will go tho George and Kathy.

If a fine is imposed, and it is not paid, in time, they could lose their home. My husband and I personnally feel that this situation has gone far enough. No one has removed the ramp and contractors have offered to replace the old with one that would meet code. This situation, if it continues, will only bring ill feeling between the Kaup's and the borough officials (which already existed to an extent.)

Our hope is that George, or one of the contractors who have graciously offered their services, will just lengthen the ramp to meet code and the ADA guidelines.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:How much would a fine be, and how frequent could the fine be levied? Could someone call the a-wipes in charge and let me know? I've got half a notion to pay the d*mn fines myself and then the ramp can be taken down once all is healed.
- I thought, as one of the a-wipes, I would give my thoughts on the topic. I am hoping that none of this comes down to fines. I am sure that the persons that donated their expertise, time and materials to help the Kaups out, in this there time of need, would be more than willing to get them out of this predicament, since I know they were aware of the code requirements in Tyrone before they even put the project together. I believe there was not a complaint but it was splashed all over the news. You are right at talking about compassion, and I am sure that Code Enforcement is doing what he can to get the Kaups through this, but with it splashed everywhere it could not be ignored. The answer is quite simple though...Just have those persons who built it incorrectly in the first place fix their mistake. That is all this really is is a small mistake. Code Enforcement, was only involved, I'm sure, to make sure that things are safe for the Kaups and the public. I am sure all would be upset if the Kaups or anyone else was hurt on a ramp that was considered unsafe. i know this was done in haste to help the Kaups out so they could go to their doctor's appointment with less frustration of having to deal with their steps, but now it is time to get it done right. Take Care and God Bless to the Kaups in their time of healing. I believe our Code Enforcement officer is doing a great job and that safety can not be ignored. If it came before Council to waive any fees and such that are levied by Tyrone Borough I for one would vote to waive them. We all need help now and again that is for sure.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Bill Latchford wrote:
banksy wrote:How much would a fine be, and how frequent could the fine be levied? Could someone call the a-wipes in charge and let me know? I've got half a notion to pay the d*mn fines myself and then the ramp can be taken down once all is healed.
- I thought, as one of the a-wipes, I would give my thoughts on the topic. I am hoping that none of this comes down to fines. I am sure that the persons that donated their expertise, time and materials to help the Kaups out, in this there time of need, would be more than willing to get them out of this predicament, since I know they were aware of the code requirements in Tyrone before they even put the project together. I believe there was not a complaint but it was splashed all over the news. You are right at talking about compassion, and I am sure that Code Enforcement is doing what he can to get the Kaups through this, but with it splashed everywhere it could not be ignored. The answer is quite simple though...Just have those persons who built it incorrectly in the first place fix their mistake. That is all this really is is a small mistake. Code Enforcement, was only involved, I'm sure, to make sure that things are safe for the Kaups and the public. I am sure all would be upset if the Kaups or anyone else was hurt on a ramp that was considered unsafe. i know this was done in haste to help the Kaups out so they could go to their doctor's appointment with less frustration of having to deal with their steps, but now it is time to get it done right. Take Care and God Bless to the Kaups in their time of healing. I believe our Code Enforcement officer is doing a great job and that safety can not be ignored. If it came before Council to waive any fees and such that are levied by Tyrone Borough I for one would vote to waive them. We all need help now and again that is for sure.
So I guess it is fine for laywers to be ambulance chasers too? I get your point, but honestly a better approach could have occurred here overall. I'll leave it alone in respect of the families.
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

Are there any "CODES" on the books for wavy or irregular road conditions or pot holes? I wonder if myself or someone visiting me would possibly have an motorcycle or bicycle accident due to a wavy road condition (15th street by the Legion and down past Sheetz), could I sue the Borough of Tyrone for not fixing this issue? Also, is anyone watching for falling nails on the road down by the house teardown? Can I get my tire fixed by the Borough of Tyrone if I run over a nail in that stretch of road? I'm sure this will get put to the test soon.... Have a nice day....
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

exbellwoodian wrote:Are there any "CODES" on the books for wavy or irregular road conditions or pot holes? I wonder if myself or someone visiting me would possibly have an motorcycle or bicycle accident due to a wavy road condition (15th street by the Legion and down past Sheetz), could I sue the Borough of Tyrone for not fixing this issue? Also, is anyone watching for falling nails on the road down by the house teardown? Can I get my tire fixed by the Borough of Tyrone if I run over a nail in that stretch of road? I'm sure this will get put to the test soon.... Have a nice day....
Classic! Lovely!