Tear It Down

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Tear It Down

Post by banksy »

baldeagle wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is most everone wants to go green but nobody wants it in there front yard.
This green craze is getting to remind me of the "politically correct" craze. It's out of hand at some levels. Spend $50 to save $20. I'll take my Ford Expedition across the country and suck as much gas as I want to. I'll put on the heat in my house and open the windows, cause that's how I like it. It's my car, it's my house, and it's my money. I'll spend it however I want to spend it.
Last edited by banksy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

An acquaintance of mine owns a Hummer. Recently, someone came up to him and asked, "Why are you driving that thing?" He replied, "Because I own it." Good answer.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Banksy you couldn't have said it any better.I also find it funny that in the last post that someone was questioned for driving a hummer.As far as I am concerned that is there right to drive whatever they want.Like I said before people usually are only concerned with what effects them, take for instance this subject of G&R's mess in Northwood.You don't hear those same people complaining about all the other properties in Snyder Township that resemble a junkyard and believe me there are alot.I think a good solution would be that the Snyder Township code enforcement officer should do a property to property evaluation and make everyone clean up there mess.There are plenty of properties in Snyder Township that have junk cars and piles of other junk sitting around,maybe not to the degree that G&R has but as they say "Whats good for the goose is good for the gander":thumb:
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Hmm... Northwood Recycling Yard. It seems G&R is certainly in great demand. I have seen them working in 3 counties. I applaud their effort to recycle, and have purchased from their warehouse in town.

At first I thought those complaining were just nit-pickers. However, I must agree with the residents that have complained about the Yard in Northwood. If anyone was travelling through there from out of town ...I'm sure it would appear to them to be what it appears to me... an eyesore. ( I mean, c'mon, its a pile of scrap dumped along a roadside...a pull off at one time )

I have also noticed that there are a few of these yards scattered throughout the area. Surely there must be a piece of land somewhere off the main highways where Glenn could store ALL the stuff that could be recycled, and in all fairness, he should be disposing of the junk that never will be. Also....the lumber laying out there.....it's been there a few seasons....I would think it would be damaged goods due to the all the rain and snow. Just my opinion.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

baldeagle, I disagree with your comment that "You don't hear those same people complaining about all the other properties in Snyder Township that resemble a junkyard and believe me there are alot." Yes, they do. Just because it was not brought up at a meeting does not mean that nobody has complained about it. But you really nailed it on the head at the end of your statement. We as residents of Snyder Twp., should not have to put in the complaints to start. The code enforcer is elected and paid to enforce ordinances adopted by the Twp. Now granted some places that are off the beaten path he might have to be told about. But when these things happen in plain view like Rt.350 and Northwood, he just needs to do his job. As for what G&R does I think it is great, except 90% of the stuff that he brings in just sets there and rots, gets buried, or eventually loaded and taken to Caracciolo's.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Today's Herald covers a story on the 'regrettable' razing of the YMCA building. G&R will be applying for a demo permit on the 15th of January.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bill Latchford wrote:It's not so much the issue of pollution and such holding up the works...It is the owners of these buildings that don't want to take responsibility for their property. They want the tax payer (i.e The Borough) to do it or they fight and appeal codes and such until the building finally falls down on its own, which of course is a hazard all its own. I don't understand why we cannot say, You have 90 days to fix a major deficiency, that is deemed condemning, or tear it down PERIOD. No they take us to court and appeal after appeal after appeal...That mess on 10th and Pennsy has been in the court system for years. Look they are told to finally take it down and they still don't move quickly. You fine them and then they take you to court to fight the fines, which in turn holds up the demolition of the property in question. The Borough does not have the money and it's citizens should not be put on the hook for a landlord who does not want to take care of his or hers property. So now where do we go from this point? I have no idea. I think the appeals process should be looked at. If you are cited and you don't fix the violation, you should be fined. If you don't tear down a property within a specified time frame, you should be fined daily until the building is brought down. When the Borough is not meeting some state or federal guideline they wouldn't hesitate to fine us daily.
Once again, front page news,.. "Lingering dispute may keep YMCA building from being razed soon." I can't say too much about this subject since I really don't know what I'm talking about... HOWEVER, according to the paper, and the way I see it, Glenn Ray and the borough has done their part... and more, I must say!!! All the pieces of this puzzle have come together. Glenn has acquired all the permits that are needed... he's ready to go and so is the borough. The owner of the adjacent property has known all along (actually, quite a while ) that eventually this would happen. According to the paper, part of that adjacent property is deemed as, "unsafe." The owner states they will "repair." Is this another case of someone holding off as long as they can to get as much money out of the borough/community as they can ??? Repairing will cost a fortune and prolong the progress. In the meantime, another "chunk" could come tumbleing down. Someone could get hurt !!! It doesn't make sense !!!
Ms. Muffet

Post by Ms. Muffet »

Just a thought, have you ever thought about enacting a vacancy tax or fine. That would encourage landlords to either make their homes nicer so people were willing to pay more, or drive down the price of rent so some one was willing to live there. Also, what about a community fund that gave grants to help fix places up. It could get its money from the vacancy fees.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Hmmmm, maybe someone should just torch this one too. And make sure you do it while the snow is there so the sleuth's can comment about the foot prints in the snow.
oldguy

Post by oldguy »

Anybody ever hear about Pubilc Domain, Look it up see what you come up with. :zzz:
TOM111378

Post by TOM111378 »

commonsense wrote:baldeagle, I disagree with your comment that "You don't hear those same people complaining about all the other properties in Snyder Township that resemble a junkyard and believe me there are alot." Yes, they do. Just because it was not brought up at a meeting does not mean that nobody has complained about it. But you really nailed it on the head at the end of your statement. We as residents of Snyder Twp., should not have to put in the complaints to start. The code enforcer is elected and paid to enforce ordinances adopted by the Twp. Now granted some places that are off the beaten path he might have to be told about. But when these things happen in plain view like Rt.350 and Northwood, he just needs to do his job. As for what G&R does I think it is great, except 90% of the stuff that he brings in just sets there and rots, gets buried, or eventually loaded and taken to Caracciolo's.
u

for one u must get it right u do have 2 but in a complaint and the code enforcer is not elected he is but in by the town ship sup and north wood dose not fall under the junk yard code. and rt 350 is not open anymore .