Tear It Down

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Tear It Down

Post by Bill Latchford »

- I was for the YMCA building being torn down a long time ago...But just like the building down on 10th and Pennsylvania, It takes a long road through the court system or through Bank Red Tape to get some things accomplished. Now that the Y is under private ownership and the new owner has not abided by the whole 90 days or do something thing, I personally don't know what the hold up is. A thread was started before to get ideas for the structure and yet it still sets in deplorable condition. It either gets fixed or gets torn down. Just like Lincoln School, S&A bought it thinking they would get all this money to fix it and it never came to fruition. Logan School was bought by Sheetz and now there is a beautiful store in its place. Adams School was bought by Jeff Long and turned into a great retirement community. Lincoln School will now become a big open lot. Thanks so much for beautifying our community.(sarcasm) They put it off as long as they could, and now time has run out and it is finally coming down. I don't understand how an owner of a building would want something to set not doing anything at all until it starts to topple in on itself. So what other buildings should be torn down in our community?

YMCA
10th and Pennsy

There are two I believe that are great candidates.
twinsmom

Re: Tear It Down

Post by twinsmom »

I would like to see some of the landlords required to paint or side some of the rentals in Tyrone. There are two that I pass almost daily.

14th and Logan (across from Sheetz and Kopps)
14th and Lincoln (across from Soldier's Park)
Blain

Post by Blain »

The YMCA is an eyesore, and a dangerous one at that. It was basically handed over to the new owner, and his grand plans have never materialized. The guy is a master of the stall tactic. I think it's time for some enforcement. That building needs to be fixed immediately (like, this week) or needs to be torn down. And as luck would have it, the owner apparently has some experience at demolition.

Oh, wait. I changed my mind. Since that building will just end up in pieces in an ugly pile along old route 220 in Northwood, I vote for leaving it where it stands.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

More bricks for sale!! Bricks for sale!!

Stop by our current Lincoln Avenue location and our soon to be Logan Avenue location.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Blain and Bucktail why do you even post all you do is complain and run people in the ground. Give it a rest or go see Mr. Ray personally and quit hiding behind your computer.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Wa Wa WWaaaaa.... :P

I wasn't complaining nor running anyone into the ground with my prior post. I was being satirical or sarcastic. Take your pick. But I would like to point out that in your very first post, located in the Kaup family thread, you made it a point to complain about "laws going too far and it's all about money".

And in your second post here, you are complaining... so, by your own definition, you are apparently just like Blain and I because all you do is complain. 2 for 2 in the complaint category.

And "hiding behind your computer.".... That, baldeagle, is exactly what you are doing, too.
Blain

Post by Blain »

I went to many Snyder Township meetings, and brought up Mr. Ray's junkyard many times. I was at one meeting where Mr. Ray challenged somebody to step outside. Very mature.

Township supervisors and code enforcement can't get Mr. Ray to clean up his messes. I doubt a personal visit from me would convince him. His junk piles, and his trailers parked two feet off of the roadway are a danger.

I don't consider if complaining. It's calling attention to a problem. It won't go away if you ignore it. Don't believe me? Try it.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I agree, there are "old buildings" around town that need to come down ASAP. Too much longer, especially during a winter freeze and thaw, a chunk is gonna' break off one of them and come tumbling down again. These old buildings are starting to add up, if you think about it.
Before, if a building had to come down, it was torn down quickly, taken away and that was the end of it.... no questions asked. Now days, there is more to it than just "tearing it down." They just can't bring a wrecker in here, or a demolition team, and start hacking away. At least I hope they don't do such a thing. There are OSCHA standards to be met now. You have lead paint, asbestos, toxic mold, and many other hazardous materials to think about that has been in these buildings forever. If these buildings are "just torn down," airborne dust can be released into the enviroment and can become a community hazard. The dust will settle on neighboring surfaces, including buildings and apartment complexes, sidewalks and children play areas, etc.
Therefore, I'm just guessing, but, this could be one of the reasons for their delay. What to do and how to do ??
Even so, the buildings are adding up... time is passing. Why can't they get the fire companys to come in and completely soak the buildings with water inside and out and while they are soaked, bring them down, cover the the down material and haul it away. Is this possible ?? Am I just talking thru my hat ?? Wait a minute.... I don't have a hat.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

"...Why can't they get the fire companys to come in and completely soak the buildings with water inside and out and while they are soaked, bring them down, cover the the down material and haul it away..."

However, can you imagine how much air pollution all those diesel fumes from the fire engines releases into the air? And the squawking that would result from those increased fuel costs to the borough?

The firefighters would probably be investigated for not wearing appropriate protective gear, meaning that eventually there could be industry and regulatory agency fines and lawsuits. Oh, and ISO repercussions could potentially cause your insurance rates to increase.

Plus, the claim would likely be made that the water runoff is polluted with those very same toxins - which would in turn run into the Little Juniata River, contaminate it, and cause charges that it contaminated the water supplies of municipalities downstream.

And pity poor Hoyt Chestnut, a retired New York City firefighter, now working for OSHA, who will be fishing way downstream a few years later.

He'll catch a new state record Brown Trout, but it will be denied in the record books - as the claim will be made that it was genitically altered by those very same toxins.

Etc, etc, etc. :huh: :nuts:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

OMG BB :shock: ... You are right !! I never thought of that !! Now what do we do ??
Tsk,Tsk, always something to "think" about !! Decisions, decisions !!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

It's not so much the issue of pollution and such holding up the works...It is the owners of these buildings that don't want to take responsibility for their property. They want the tax payer (i.e The Borough) to do it or they fight and appeal codes and such until the building finally falls down on its own, which of course is a hazard all its own. I don't understand why we cannot say, You have 90 days to fix a major deficiency, that is deemed condemning, or tear it down PERIOD. No they take us to court and appeal after appeal after appeal...That mess on 10th and Pennsy has been in the court system for years. Look they are told to finally take it down and they still don't move quickly. You fine them and then they take you to court to fight the fines, which in turn holds up the demolition of the property in question. The Borough does not have the money and it's citizens should not be put on the hook for a landlord who does not want to take care of his or hers property. So now where do we go from this point? I have no idea. I think the appeals process should be looked at. If you are cited and you don't fix the violation, you should be fined. If you don't tear down a property within a specified time frame, you should be fined daily until the building is brought down. When the Borough is not meeting some state or federal guideline they wouldn't hesitate to fine us daily.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

The one thing that I don't understand is how all this crap happens.

The Borough under the rule of her former excellency got grant money to build pretty sidewalks and a gift from an elderly gentleman to build a park for nobody to enjoy when they could have been applying for grants to help the community as a whole.

The YMCA is an old building. It was a historical building. It could have been saved years ago, but the borough was too busy building streetscape (to attract new business How's that going) to offer any help.

It is a shame that the YMCA is in the shape it is in, but don't blame Glenn Ray for that. You can't a nearly 100 year old building in 90 days.

Ask for progress reports.

If I had my way, we would take a bulldozer down half of PA avenue and offer it to PSU as a research park.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

I understand what you are saying and why, but, "a bulldozer??" Then, so much for downtown Tyrone... the heart and soul of this town. It's too bad someone, a long time ago ( say about 45+years ago), someone didn't try to save some of the beautiful buildings that once lined the streets of this town. It was easier to bring in a wrecking ball and destroy them instead of finding a way to fix them up and keep them maintained.
I'll never forget coming home and finding, overtime... the Railroad Station gone... The Wilson Theater Building gone...the ElPatio/Western Auto Building gone, in fact everything on that block gone... both sides of the street, overtime gone....
Yes, I'm sure a lot of that can be blamed on flooding... but, look how beautiful the M&T Bank Building looks. If there were ever a flood, that building was always in the middle of it and throughout the years, it has survived. Except for ( sadly ) a few empty spots... most of the buildings in the downtown area of West 10th have still survived, most have been fixed up, maintained and they look great !! Joybean's and Burleys are also beautiful looking buildings. I miss the Logan Hotel that sat on the corner of 10th and Logan... that should have been saved !! It would have been, (along with the railroad station), a fantastic tourist attraction.
I could go on forever about the "use to be's," but, I'll refrain...
Bottom line, if they could only try somehow to at least save some of the structure of some of these buildings... such as the fronts of them and tear down the backs and build something modern behind them. That one on Pennsy and 10th Street could be gutted on the inside and fixed up on the outside to resemble how it once looked. I don't know, maybe they are too far gone now and it's too bad.
Please don't knock the street scape. It is absolutely beautiful and has really made this town come back to life again. Slowly, but surely, our town is coming back from the potential downfall in which it was heading. I've always said, and I will say it again.... we have had, and still have, an outstanding elected borough council who does not jump at spare of the moment decisions. They have a lot on their shoulders to contend with , but, they DO care about this town and it's people.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I don't mean the 10th and PA ave, part of PA ave. that needs bulldozed. From the old Mario's up to 14th street.

Imagine the jobs that could be created with a good set of tax breaks for PSU to build a research park here.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Harlow wrote:I don't mean the 10th and PA ave, part of PA ave. that needs bulldozed. From the old Mario's up to 14th street.

Imagine the jobs that could be created with a good set of tax breaks for PSU to build a research park here.
There ya go !!! Yes, that area is in need of "help" and your idea is a good idea as long as Tyrone, PA remains Tyrone, PA and not controlled by and outside source. What do you suggest we do with PSU (hey, that rhymes) once all is said and done and the bulldozers are gone ?? Research ?? What kinda' research ??
Whada we do with PSU ??
Do-dah, Do-dah...
Whada we do with PSU ??
Oh do-dah day.
:mrgreen: Sorry, just had to.....