Tear It Down

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Tear It Down

Post by Bill Latchford »

Your last post 150th only proves the old phrase "You Can't Please Everyone". I think what I will do is go through the posts a bit just to see if you have ever said anything positive in these forums about Tyrone. I think when it comes to Tyrone and its Government and the services provided; you really have nothing good to say. You really should come to a Council meeting once in a while and let all of Council in on how you would step up and help this community. I should state that I don't recall if you are even from Tyrone, but I can say that your negativity towards this town surely is something not to be proud of. There is always another way that things can be handled, but things happen when they happen. If it is wrong then we have to take a step back and see if it can be fixed. So by all means if you are from Tyrone and you have some great ideas for the betterment of this fine little town, I am all ears. I am sure Council would love to hear these ideas also.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Like a politician, Mr. Latchford, you are seemingly attempting to deflect attention and draw focus away from the current topic at hand, which I would like to remind you is blighted buildings and the possibility of demolition to or salvage of said building(s). My envolvement of this thread by providing a record of detailed information of supposedly specific time frames within which individuals or entities have given to clean up or demolish their blighted mess by the governing powers is still relative to the main focus of this thread.

I do not believe that where I reside is germane to this topic. THIS issue is for the overall public good.. not only for the good of Tyrone's citizens, but also for the people that reside outside of Tyrone who visit family and friends and/or solicit businesses within the boro of Tyrone.

As far as "some great ideas for the betterment of this fine little town" of which you imply that you are all ears... as it has been consistently, my first and primary suggestion would be for the Boro of Tyrone to enforce the specific time frames which were originally imposed by the governing boro powers in order to rectify the problems that have closed a public thoroughfare, i.e. a public sidewalk on Logan Avenue.

Unless the statements you have made are meant to imply that Tyrone can and will only take care of itself with its own ideas, and are unwilling to consider outside influence or recommendations unless they cast a positive light on Tyrone and its government.

If that is the case, then perhaps Boro Council or councilpersons should just come out and publically state that they consider comments made from individuals or entities from outside the boro that critize and/or ridicule the governing body or town will not be taken seriously.

However, it might be wise for you to consider that perhaps the negativity within Tyrone and the surrounding communities directed towards the boro of Tyrone and its leadership stem from the seemingly inconsistent actions or inactions that have been displayed in the present and past; a projection of favoritism towards certain individuals and/or entities; a lack of true definition by the governing council themselves in important matters that drastically affect the boro if not the surrounding community; and the appearance of shunning outside influence and knowledge that would bring change or direction unless it is dressed up in your own vision. Have you ever considered this?

I eagerly await your specific responses to these specific comments, as well as to the constructive criticism that I have previously posted. :roll:

(Edited for a grammatical and spelling correction only, although there are probably a couple more errors :D )
Last edited by 150thBucktailCo.I on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hang in there Bucktail, Tyrone loves ya !! :thumb:
He'll have to go out there and do some researchin' .... maybe even some "legwork" before you get any off the wall answers to this one.
Navy CPO

Post by Navy CPO »

Mr. Latchford,

Can you provide me with some information on how I find out what’s on the Tyrone Borough Council agenda when they have meetings and how I can have my voice heard on the different issues that are addressed during these meetings? I am active duty military (US Navy). I own a house in Tyrone and my wife and children reside there. I am normally only home a couple of days a month which are almost always on a weekend? Basically speaking, what is in place for the active duty military? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
v/r
YNC(SW/AW) Charles L. Miller Jr.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Navy CPO wrote:Mr. Latchford,

Can you provide me with some information on how I find out what’s on the Tyrone Borough Council agenda when they have meetings and how I can have my voice heard on the different issues that are addressed during these meetings? I am active duty military (US Navy). I own a house in Tyrone and my wife and children reside there. I am normally only home a couple of days a month which are almost always on a weekend? Basically speaking, what is in place for the active duty military? Thank you in advance for your assistance.
v/r
YNC(SW/AW) Charles L. Miller Jr.
The Tyrone Borough Council meetings are the 1st and 2nd Mondays of each month, except for a summer schedule of which it is only the 2nd Monday of each month and I believe this year was July, August and September. The Borough secretary hangs a Meeting agenda at the Borough Building. I am not sure what else is done to let the citizens know what is on the agenda. I can find out for you. Knowing that you are active duty, I am sure there would be no problem with your wife coming in with concerns. I will add this, knowing that she also has children to take care of, I would certainly bring any of your concerns to Council if you send them to me in an email. If it is something you are very passionate about, I will try my best to convey that to Council. Take Care and Thank You for your service. :flag:
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

It is common down here for meeting minutes and agendas for upcoming meetings to be posted on the township/borough websites. The Tyrone borough website doesn't appear to have this, actually it appears to be the same as it was when I first looked at it a couple of years ago.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:Like a politician, Mr. Latchford, you are seemingly attempting to deflect attention and draw focus away from the current topic at hand, which I would like to remind you is blighted buildings and the possibility of demolition to or salvage of said building(s). My envolvement of this thread by providing a record of detailed information of supposedly specific time frames within which individuals or entities have given to clean up or demolish their blighted mess by the governing powers is still relative to the main focus of this thread.

I do not believe that where I reside is germane to this topic. THIS issue is for the overall public good.. not only for the good of Tyrone's citizens, but also for the people that reside outside of Tyrone who visit family and friends and/or solicit businesses within the boro of Tyrone.

As far as "some great ideas for the betterment of this fine little town" of which you imply that you are all ears... as it has been consistently, my first and primary suggestion would be for the Boro of Tyrone to enforce the specific time frames which were originally imposed by the governing boro powers in order to rectify the problems that have closed a public thoroughfare, i.e. a public sidewalk on Logan Avenue.

Unless the statements you have made are meant to imply that Tyrone can and will only take care of itself with its own ideas, and are unwilling to consider outside influence or recommendations unless they cast a positive light on Tyrone and its government.

If that is the case, then perhaps Boro Council or councilpersons should just come out and publically state that they consider comments made from individuals or entities from outside the boro that critize and/or ridicule the governing body or town will not be taken seriously.

However, it might be wise for you to consider that perhaps the negativity within Tyrone and the surrounding communities directed towards the boro of Tyrone and its leadership stem from the seemingly inconsistent actions or inactions that have been displayed in the present and past; a projection of favoritism towards certain individuals and/or entities; a lack of true definition by the governing council themselves in important matters that drastically affect the boro if not the surrounding community; and the appearance of shunning outside influence and knowledge that would bring change or direction unless it is dressed up in your own vision. Have you ever considered this?

I eagerly await your specific responses to these specific comments, as well as to the constructive criticism that I have previously posted. :roll:

(Edited for a grammatical and spelling correction only, although there are probably a couple more errors :D )
- Look, I am sure we can agree that there is a problem with blight in this community. The present Code Enforcement officer is not from around her, so that makes his job easier, since he does not have to worry about hurting some sort of friendship. He has shown the willingness to work with people to resolve a code violation. Council has asked why it is taking so long to abate the violations with the Old YMCA building. His response is that he is working with Mr. Ray while he is trying to bring the building up to code. I personally don't recall the exact words, but if there is some positive progress then he should be given a chance to correct the deficiencies. We have told the person that owns the 10th and Pennsy building to tear it down I don't know how many times. When he takes every single little violation to court and then appeals all those up to a higher level, he basically ties things up for years, as it has been. This sidewalk is not in the Downtown area proper. I know you have a personal issue with this sidewalk, which is somehow, giving you a cause to fight for. Really the only people that have been asking questions about the building is you and Council. I would imagine you could call the Code Officer yourself to see if he can give you further details on the topic of the Old YMCA building. I am not sure if there is any more information than I have provided here. Instead of asking me to jump through hoops trying to decipher your comments, why don't you just ask some direct questions that I can relay to the Code Officer. I have no problem doing that at all 150th. Your comments above only come across to me, as being condescending and sarcastic. I don't want this thread to get ugly like the Wind Turbine thread. So I am requesting that if persons would like a question answered, please just ask it in the form of a question and I will be more than happy to find out the answer as quickly as possible for you. I believe I have shown that I am willing to work with people, but when people are sarcastic, for no reason at all, with me, then human defensiveness kicks in and I get a bit snippy back. I don't want that. This is a great forum to make comments and have questions answered, that is why I have made myself available through here. I don't hide behind a screen name, I just want to be as forthright as possible. I do like talking to people and knowing whom I am talking to but it is certainly not a requirement. Take Care and hopefully this curtails any hostilities that may have been brewing.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

hykesmill wrote:It is common down here for meeting minutes and agendas for upcoming meetings to be posted on the township/borough websites. The Tyrone borough website doesn't appear to have this, actually it appears to be the same as it was when I first looked at it a couple of years ago.
We are in the process of totally redoing The Boro's website and I hope it will have this information available to the public on it. Thanks for the suggestion. You are correct the Boro's website is quite old and outdated. We have accepted a bid to have it redone and I personally am very excited for the results. If there are any ideas please run them by me...As a matter of fact maybe I will make a new thread to receive input on it.
Exurbanite

Post by Exurbanite »

While tearing things down is doing "something" I don't think it should be confused with progress. Maybe the community was foolish to put the fate of something so important to us in the hands of a private individual. I've heard lots of people say they would like a rec/community center in town. What is being done to achieve that goal?

Tearing down buildings just for the sake of doing "something" is short sighted. Is there a big picture plan for what will happen to the lots after the buildings are gone? We should be identifying neglected properties before they are beyond repair. Currently, we have a beautiful down town with lots of potential. At the rate we're gong we'll have replaced our traditional main street with a strip mall. Maybe I am in the minority, but I do not want to live in that kind of place.

Stand at the corner of 11th and Penna Ave., look north up Penna Ave. then turn around and look south. Which view is more desirable?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Has anyone noticed all those buildings coming down, cleared away (one actually going right back up again), in Altoona ?? Especially, along the Blvd/Plank Road. Howdaydooin'dat so quick ?? For instance, McDonalds ??!! I thought I was seeing things. The last time I saw it, it was coming down. Drove by there the other day and ... :shock: there was McDonalds... do do do do, do do do do..... Whew... lotsa' fast tear it downers happening up there.
twinsmom

Post by twinsmom »

I'd like to see the sign in front of 1109 Lincoln Ave , which is setting on the sidewalk, torn down as well as the pile of lumber with it's sign, removed. I do not understand the continued problem he is having with the borough. He did not pay a penny of a fine, permit, or inspection cost. I'd hate to see the property values of the block!
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Try living in Northwood with G & R "The Professional Home VALUE Wreckers"
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Commonsense I thought that they were making G&R put up a fence? I hope that they do for the sake of the people that live near there but I do understand the need for the recycling places like G&R has.The wood from the Northwood area has been reworked and has ended up in some really expensive homes.I guess what I am trying to say is most everone wants to go green but nobody wants it in there front yard.I know I have a property near myself that could use a good house cleaning.Maybe the township will help you in this matter. :thumb:
Blain

Post by Blain »

The Clownship...er, the Township has been sitting on their hands for years. Officially, that junkyard is a "building materials recycling yard", but notice it contains metal scrap, steel tanks, old school desks, etc. As I've said, you can put kittens in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits. Call it what you want, but it's a junkyard.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wow, did anybody read the articles in the Hearld or the Mirror about the junk yard issues at the township meeting. Kinda reminded me of the election. As every board member said, "they are not junkyards, they are recycling yards", they sell stuff. Well guess what so does every other kind of junkyard. And, they said that after the Townships own attorney Stated it is a junkyard when he looked at pictures and read the Townships description of as junkyard. Unreal........