Tear It Down

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Tear It Down

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:
Harlow wrote:I don't mean the 10th and PA ave, part of PA ave. that needs bulldozed. From the old Mario's up to 14th street.

Imagine the jobs that could be created with a good set of tax breaks for PSU to build a research park here.
There ya go !!! Yes, that area is in need of "help" and your idea is a good idea as long as Tyrone, PA remains Tyrone, PA and not controlled by and outside source. What do you suggest we do with PSU (hey, that rhymes) once all is said and done and the bulldozers are gone ?? Research ?? What kinda' research ??
Whada we do with PSU ??
Do-dah, Do-dah...
Whada we do with PSU ??
Oh do-dah day.
:mrgreen: Sorry, just had to.....
Does it matter what research PSU would do? They already bring vans/buses to Tyrone to commute PSU employees to St. College. As far as control goes, you don't it now, so that shouldn't matter either. If you had control it wouldn't look the way it does. I know it's like beating a dead horse, but the drug problem is Tyrone is very well known. I was just in Jersey Shore this past week for work and mentioned to the folks there at the Hospital that I grew up in Central, PA. When I told them Tyrone... first thing out of their mouths "ohhhh, we hear there is a huge drug problem there?"
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Hey Banksy... at the risk of showin' my age :? what does h*r* stand for ?? I've seen that somewhere before. Does it mean what I think it means... does it have the word raising in it ?? That's a shocker-roo to realize that folks in Jersey has heard of our town. One would think they would hear more-so of Altoona. Whew, that's an eye opener and not a very good description as to what we, the majority, are all about here !!
All I can say about that is we have an outstanding police force in this area and they do a terrific job !! Without them, we would be in deep do-do around here. The Chief and all others on the force deserve a medal !!! They work very hard and are very dedicated in keeping the peace. Many times, they too, are taken for granted around here.
Anyway, what was I getting to ?? Oh, unless I'm missing it.... or, I don't know what I'm looking at.... I do not see anything out on the streets that looks anything like "drugs." Occasionally, I see irresponsible smart alic, in your face kids without any respect or dicipline... or an occasional long sleeved, baggy pants dressed all in black, in the middle of a hot summer afternoon kid suffleing down the street type..... or the graffiti writings here and there which, btw, is immediately taken care of and erased by the borough.... now, is this drugs I'm looking at?? I'll tell you, if we have a problem in this town, it has to be well under control and/or being taken care of properly.... nothing, nothing, nothing is showing.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

Guys,

Anyway you look at it, I believe Tyrone has a LOT going for it! I've been in Tyrone multitudes of times, although I live in Altoona, and I feel the people, the things they do for the community, and the place itself are noteworthy! Interestingly enough, this whole back and forth thing with the Y has been going on for how long now? I know there was a similar thread last year, and it seems not much has changed, which is rather sad. I can say though that the basketball tournament recently held up there had to be at least noted by some! It's a GREAT idea, not to mention the Players, the other artistic groups in town, and the things being done for kids, and planned to be done! For such a small town, there is many good things happening. I know there's people down on their luck, but that could be said for most places. At least there's also others who are willing to give them alternatives, and give them a hand back up! For that, I say, BRAVO!!!! :bluebounce:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Right on !! We're gettin' off topic here and I just know we're gonna' hear about it if we keep on keepin' on.... 8) .
Meanwhile, back to the buildings...
Enjoy the weekend !!!
It's August...... already??!! Whew !!!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:Hey Banksy... at the risk of showin' my age :? what does h*r* stand for ??
Weird. I mistype Jersey Shore and must have forgot the "S" in the Shore which made it a H_O_R_E and that must have flagged it as a curse word. So, not Jersey as in new Jersey, but Jersey Shore as in Clinton County just past Lock Haven.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My2Cents wrote:is this drugs I'm looking at?? I'll tell you, if we have a problem in this town, it has to be well under control and/or being taken care of properly.... nothing, nothing, nothing is showing.
I hope you are correct and that there isn't a problem. Perhaps its just lingering affects from an old problem.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:
My2Cents wrote:is this drugs I'm looking at?? I'll tell you, if we have a problem in this town, it has to be well under control and/or being taken care of properly.... nothing, nothing, nothing is showing.
I hope you are correct and that there isn't a problem. Perhaps its just lingering affects from an old problem.
Banksy...I believe it is just a lingering affect from the past. Those types of reputations are hard to shake, but the Police Department of today in Tyrone and the Blair County Task Force are certainly making Tyrone a safer place.

- Back to the buildings...I see more and more activity around Lincoln School, and am waiting to find out the status of the Y. These are two buildings, that because of neglect, whether from lack of funds or ambition, have worn out their welcome. Same with 10th and Pennsy...that thing was condemned so many times, but the owner must have a great attorney. I really need to get some details from our Code Enforcement Officer to find out the status of these buildings. I will post any results that are pertinent.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

September 1, 2007 :

Tyrone Daily Herald

Thursday (Aug. 30, 2007) marked the end of an era as the keys were officially transferred in the sale of the Tyrone Area YMCA building on Logan Avenue.

Pete Dutrow and Tammy Emigh were on hand to represent the Tyrone Area YMCA Board of Directors, while Senior Vice President Rick Paul and Assistant Vice President Cathy Igou represented Reliance Bank, and Glenn Ray of G & R Excavating all met in front of the YMCA building for the official transfer.

Dutrow said that Ray, who purchased the building, has 90 days (approx. Nov. 30, 2007) to decide what to do with it and then another 90 days (approx. Feb. 28, 2008) to address the safety issues.

January 31, 2008 :

Tyrone Daily Herald

"Back in July of 2007, Tyrone Borough Council approved a 90 day period before issuing any new notices concerning the various code violations that need to be corrected on the building. Ray is passed that 90 day period and is currently under an additional 90 day period to address these safety issues."

February 4, 2008 :

WJAC

POSTED: 7:41 pm EST February 4, 2008
UPDATED: 8:40 pm EST February 4, 2008

TYRONE, BLAIR COUNTY, Pa. -- Glenn Ray of G&R Excavating bought the nearly a century-old YMCA building in August. Tyrone Borough officials said it needed major repairs quickly.

Borough officials said they're waiting for a report from an engineer who is assessing the building. They said they will give Ray 90 days to fix it up before they issue citations for violations or take other steps.

Copyright 2008 by WJACTV.com

April 2, 2008 :

Tyrone Daily Herald

"As of yesterday, Ray was jubilant and eager to begin the process of restoring the historic building..."

"I’m financially in good shape on it, so I’m not going to borrow any money,” stated Ray. “Right now, we took the insulation and the rubber roof off the Lowe’s building (which was only seven years old) and we’re delivering it inside the YMCA downstairs.”

“The first thing we’re going to do is cap a roof with two and a half inches of insulation on it and fix up the front of the building and the masonry work, so we can open the sidewalk,” said Ray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Boro Council offered a third 90 day extention at their March meeting (which I am unable to find any public notice that they have), that would put the approximate ending date in very early June of 2008.

If the Boro Council has offered a fourth 90 day extention (which I am unable to find any public notice that they have), then the approximate ending date would be around very early September, 2008.

Meanwhile, we are fast approaching the 1 year anniversary (August 30, 2008) of the sale of the building, and yet nothing of note in regards to the building has been accomplished. We are also fast approaching the end of summer.

This begs the question of who or what entity is not following through with their comments and/or actions in regards to the YMCA building's issues?
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

banksy wrote:"S" in the h*r* which made it a H_O_R_E and that must have flagged it as a curse word.

Correct. :wink:

Shore will work now, but not wh*r*
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Bill Latchford wrote:
banksy wrote:
Banksy...I believe it is just a lingering affect from the past. Those types of reputations are hard to shake, but the Police Department of today in Tyrone and the Blair County Task Force are certainly making Tyrone a safer place.

- Back to the buildings...I see more and more activity around Lincoln School, and am waiting to find out the status of the Y. These are two buildings, that because of neglect, whether from lack of funds or ambition, have worn out their welcome. Same with 10th and Pennsy...that thing was condemned so many times, but the owner must have a great attorney. I really need to get some details from our Code Enforcement Officer to find out the status of these buildings. I will post any results that are pertinent.

There is still a drug problem in Tyrone. The trafficking of drugs might have declined in Tyrone, but usage hasn't. The Police and the Task Force are working hard, that's evident, but the problem still exists. The bigger problem, dare I say it, is alcoholism......and that problem is HUGE.

The YMCA has been in deplorable condition for quite a few years, and now that a private citizen has taken ownership, everyone expects it to be resolved as quickly as possible. Give the guy a break.......at least he's taking the initiative to DO SOMETHING.....sheesh. Who owns the nut factory....Big Yank, the little church on 14th street, and the many other buildings that are in need of repair or demolition? ...and why aren't you on their tails? There are quite a few buildings in town that need attention. How many empty buildings are sitting down town that are borough -owned? What about the old ice cream shop on 14th and Pennsy.... The moose and the building directly across the street...all buildings that need to be demolished or repaired. I guess what Im saying is.... Rome wasn't built in a day...it's taken years of neglect for these buildings to be in the condition they're in....it's going to take some time to correct the problem.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

The YMCA has been in deplorable condition for quite a few years, and now that a private citizen has taken ownership, everyone expects it to be resolved as quickly as possible. Give the guy a break.......at least he's taking the initiative to DO SOMETHING.....sheesh. Who owns the nut factory....Big Yank, the little church on 14th street, and the many other buildings that are in need of repair or demolition? ...and why aren't you on their tails? There are quite a few buildings in town that need attention. How many empty buildings are sitting down town that are borough -owned? What about the old ice cream shop on 14th and Pennsy.... The moose and the building directly across the street...all buildings that need to be demolished or repaired. I guess what Im saying is.... Rome wasn't built in a day...it's taken years of neglect for these buildings to be in the condition they're in....it's going to take some time to correct the problem. [/quote]

The problem with the YMCA versus some of the other buildings mentioned that it is in the immediate downtown area and a big section of the sidewalk is closed, which is a safety issue. I was so excited when I heard about the renovations and the possible activities that could be offered in the future. I guess I'm like everyone else and am getting a little impatient. Some visible progress or a report on the project's status in The Herald would nice.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I said when I hear something I would post it here....So here it is. Apparently Mr. Ray is working diligently at trying to bring the old YMCA building back into compliance. I for one don't see anything, but if our Code Officer is saying this, then I believe him. Mr. Ray is gathering quotes on getting the facade and other outside features worked on so the sidewalk can be opened again. I know I will feel like there is movement when I see physical things happening down there. I just wanted to give an update.
I know I am also happy to see Lincoln School finally coming down. It looks like they are working on the left upper corner and will probably precede the rest of they way across. Progress is good.
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

Wow....good information from the flaming skull! Good job! Looks like we're spending too much time focusing on steep ramps and not enough time focusing on the larger buildings?? Or perhaps someone (G.R.) is getting "special favors/treatment"?? If he is that far past the due date then why is he not getting fined?? Someone should be pushing him harder to meet the schedule.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

exbellwoodian wrote:Wow....good information from the flaming skull! Good job! Looks like we're spending too much time focusing on steep ramps and not enough time focusing on the larger buildings?? Or perhaps someone (G.R.) is getting "special favors/treatment"?? If he is that far past the due date then why is he not getting fined?? Someone should be pushing him harder to meet the schedule.
- Whether or not people want to believe or hear it, Tyrone Code Enforcement does work with persons. It's not just violation then fine. It is violation, work with persons to abate violations, then issue over. Unless there is an unwillingness by the violator, our Code Enforcement will do what he can to work with the violator to clear up the issue. It is not favoritism or the like...It is purely seeing that persons are trying to get things taken care of and giving them the time to pool things together. As it has been said before, sometimes you have to be willing to work together to get things done. Tyrone's Code Enforcement has shown that he is willing to work with persons to get through a violation as long as they are willing to work with him. If you see progress, no matter how small, progress is progress.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Bill Latchford wrote:
exbellwoodian wrote:Wow....good information from the flaming skull! Good job! Looks like we're spending too much time focusing on steep ramps and not enough time focusing on the larger buildings?? Or perhaps someone (G.R.) is getting "special favors/treatment"?? If he is that far past the due date then why is he not getting fined?? Someone should be pushing him harder to meet the schedule.
- Whether or not people want to believe or hear it, Tyrone Code Enforcement does work with persons. It's not just violation then fine. It is violation, work with persons to abate violations, then issue over. Unless there is an unwillingness by the violator, our Code Enforcement will do what he can to work with the violator to clear up the issue. It is not favoritism or the like...It is purely seeing that persons are trying to get things taken care of and giving them the time to pool things together. As it has been said before, sometimes you have to be willing to work together to get things done. Tyrone's Code Enforcement has shown that he is willing to work with persons to get through a violation as long as they are willing to work with him. If you see progress, no matter how small, progress is progress.
Thanks for the kudos, exbellwoodian.

And I believe there are many who would call "...Tyrone Code Enforcement working to abate violations..." moreso a "delaying tactic" from established deadlines.

Honestly.. how long will "giving them the time to pool things together" be accepted by the Boro Council?

Indefinitely?

Would the Code Enforcement Officer (or the Boro Council for that matter) have allowed the Kaups to have put off the reconstruction of their ramp if they had done small, possibly not visible, maybe insignificant (in the eyes of other citizens) "work" to their ramp? What if they were claiming to be "gathering quotes" during the time span?

Would they, or anyother citizen who is having a "violation" with Code Enforcement, have been given a full year to continue to be "working" on their issue?

If I was having an issue with Code, you can bet I'd now use this arguement. If it was not accepted, wouldn't that be considered a form of discrimination or favoritism?

Meanwhile, the sidewalk continues to remain closed for the 1,116th day. How many other municipalities across the state or nation do you think have allowed a public downtown sidewalk to be closed for that long?