Reservoir Park Barbecued Chicken

Got some great recipes you'd like to share? Poke your head in to see what's cooking... and bring a spoon.
Robbuck
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Reservoir Park Barbecued Chicken

Post by Robbuck »

I have always enjoyed the chicken they cook at the Labor Day picnic. :thumb: However every time i look for barbecue sauce recipe with a vinegar base like they use at the park , I can never find one. :banghead: All I ever find are tomato sauce based recipes and I'd like to know if anyone has the recipe, or something similar, to what they spray on the chicken at the park when they cook it over the open barbecue pit. Thanks for your help in advance. :wink: 8)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Mix well and allow ingredients to mesh for about 4 to 8 hours before using

Also... try this. http://www.captnbills.com/bbq_sauce.php
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Thanks Banksy, I'll give that a try.. :thumb: Actually my Father-in-Law Called a buddy of his and he got the recipe for me. So I guess I'm set.. If anybody wants it let me know....thanks 8)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
Meaux

Cornell / Tyrone Chicken

Post by Meaux »

I suspicion that the Reservoir Park recipe is the famous Cornell Chicken recipe. The recipe was made known to me when I worked at Ag Sci at Penn State. From the Cornell site (see hyperlink below) the timeframe seems right as it was “discovered” in 1950 and probably made its way through the East first and foremost

CORNELL CHICKEN
1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Crack the egg into a medium bowl and whisk until beaten. Slowly whisk in the oil until fully blended. Then whisk in the vinegar, salt, poultry seasoning, and ground black pepper. Set some of the sauce aside to use for basting while grilling. Place chicken in shallow baking dish, and coat with sauce. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

The pamphet from the website shows a bbq pit, etc. If you do this in a Webber kettle or gas grill the key is a good, low fire since the chicken takes awhile to cook through and you baste throughout.

With the oil in the basting sauce you get some spectacular flare ups which is highly reminiscent of the pits at Reservoir Park!!!

http://dspace.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/2652
pagirl

Re: Reservoir Park Barbecued Chicken

Post by pagirl »

I tried the bbq sause last night. I too remember bbq chicken, but it didn't seem the same it wasn't thick. Is this the same sauce as Blands park's chicken?