Out-Of-Towner "Take-Homes"?

Got a question you would like answered? Post here for possible answers to all your Tyrone questions.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Out-Of-Towner "Take-Homes"?

Post by BeachBiker »

For those of you fellow native/former Tyroners who have moved away:

What items do you make sure to pick up in Tyrone to take back to your current area during a back-home Tyrone visit?

I'm talking items you CAN find in Tyrone - but aren't available for sale in your current area (except by special order, Internet sale, etc).

I was in Tyrone for a week last month; first time in 10 years, though my wife and son had visited as recently as this past Labor Day weekend.

Here is a list of the main unavailable-in-Myrtle Beach items we bought (in quantity) and brought back from our recent trip:

1. TastyKakes
2. DelGrosso sauces
3. San Georgio pastas
4. Juniata Brand Ring Balogna
5. Meadows Scrapple

We also picked up hoagies, stromboli, and pizza from the Chill and Grille the last day there, drove overnight, and had them for meals the next few days after arriving back in Myrtle Beach (wife and I) and Sumter (our son).

I HAD stopped at East End to get a hoagie (for old time sakes), but it was a Monday around noon - and that's the ONLY weekday they're not open for lunch.

So how about the rest of you now-out-of-towners - what do YOU take home, or wish you COULD take back with you, from Tyrone visits?
smboats

Re: Out-If-Towner "Take-Homes"?

Post by smboats »

Gardners Candy-Peanut Butter Meltaways-don't eat them myself, but the fools I associate with in Philly love them! For me, it's the chocolate covered pretzels and the carmels.
NotFromTyrone

Post by NotFromTyrone »

Was in Tyrone and the general vicinity for the first time in 6 years a couple of weeks ago. Most of the stuff was not as good as I "remembered" it. I had one lettuce sandwich (AKA "hoagie") from East End and that was more than enough; the winner there for me was the 12" dog. Had scrapple at a local joint and that was as good as ever - wished I could have brought some back to the Left Coast. Enjoyed TastyCakes immensely and scarfed my only bring-back (Tandies) in the airport at Pittsburgh or Chicago.

The fare at a couple of the local high school games was unremarkable. Couldn't believe how much I used to enjoy that stuff back in the day.

The big surprise for me was a sandwich joint in Altoona. I think it was called "McAbee's". It was a 15 or 20 minute walk from Altoona Hospital. While some of the food at McAbee's was average, their Italian, steak, and cheese steak hoagies were exceptional. It was the place I picked for my last local grub before leaving Central PA.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

NotFromTyrone wrote:... Enjoyed TastyCakes immensely and scarfed my only bring-back (Tandies) in the airport at Pittsburgh or Chicago...
Actually, when we lived in California (just north of Sacramento, not far from the SF Bay area), we used to find TastyKakes in some of the smaller grocery and corner stores around the region. There was probably some food distributor there who carried them.

But that was in the 1980s - I don't know if that's still the situation there...
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

smboats wrote:Gardners Candy...
Yep - we considered getting a "stock" of Gardners Candy stuff too, but have relatives who send them often enough that we didn't pick up anything.

I should also note that the title of the thread should read "Out-Of-Towner...", but couldn't find any way to edit/correct it after initial posting.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

BeachBiker wrote: title of the thread should read "Out-Of-Towner...", but couldn't find any way to edit/correct it after initial posting.
:nuts: :wink:
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
banksy
MVP Member

Re: Out-Of-Towner "Take-Homes"?

Post by banksy »

1. BBQ Middleswarth Chips
2. East End Hoagies
3. Spaghetti Sauce from Gio's up in Woodland (on the way home)

We have Del Grosso sauces in our local grocery store.
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

East end hoagies ( if they are open) , gardners candy ( not meltaways), jean-o stromboli, country store ring bologna.
cwilson

Post by cwilson »

No trip to Tyrone would be complete without a trip to Gardners Candy. The kids would never forgive me!