HOAGIE WARS

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
DonkeyHoagie
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: HOAGIE WARS

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

There once was an onion hoagie forum
That struggled to maintain a semblance of decorum
To solve, once and for all, which hoagie is best
The good administrator should arrange a taste test
And I, Donkey Hoagie, volunteer to score 'em.

:flag:
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

Twas an evening in December, I can still clearly remember,
The moderator Rick had unlocked the Hoagie thread,
It seemed deliciously ironic that Tyrone's sandwich most iconic
Had all bans on its discussion now withdrawn
For without the Herald's news, traffic Rick began to lose
It seems you don't miss your hoagie till it's gone.
In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

Two hoagies, stood side by side,
waiting by a road.
Which one should I choose?
Would taste force me to decide?

On one hand,
the classic way,
wrapped in delicious onions or peppers...
Who could really say?

Yet,
on the other,
a newer version, younger, larger, perhaps...
and tasting just as delicious,
oh, yes!
this one definitely
seems best...

And as way turns into way,
I will be remembering this,
how I stood on a cold night,
longing to get in,
to pick my hoagie,

but was locked out.

(with apologies to Robert Frost!)
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

So it's been a year or so.... which place is winning the battle or do they both seem able to co-exist?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

The two seem to be doing fine
Sharing the same space and time
I think with the change in schedules
Everyone can keep their hands full
They will both co-exist
As long as the Hoagie Wars persist
Oh I just couldn't resist :D
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote:It seems you don't miss your hoagie till it's gone.
I still have yet to have one!!! And yes, our traffic has slacked off a bit, down about 35%. I honestly thought we would loose much more. December normally sees a 10% drop overall, and I was ready to see really frightening numbers like 50-75% loss. I'm glad to see that people are still coming around to see the forums, and catch up on the discussions.

Happy new year all!

-Rick
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Rick wrote:I was recently approached about a long lost taboo topic on our forums, so consider it a a New Years Resolution to allow an old topic to come to light again.

As long as we keep it civil.

Happy new year all...
Way to go Rick, hope it works !! In just reading all the recent post.....I am sitting here sooooo hungry for a good 'ole East End Hoagie !!! Hoagies at both places are fine... they are delicious. Personally, I am a die-hard "East Ender" and would never give up on them, unless they are closed when I'm craving a hoagie. "Our Gang," (back in the school days) happened to be among their very first customers when they first opened for business. We would stop there as we walked home from ice skating on the pond at Reservoir Park, after football games, and just for the heck of it on weekends and many times during the summertime.
There is a table just off to the right, near the window, as you walk in there... that was our favorite table. Innocence, happiness, and many a giggles, happened right there at that table. Howd and Louise were always there behind the counter... there use to be a pinball machine (on the other side of the room) their youngest boy, forget his name... hummmm (not Butch) was always there playing the pinball machine... he was just a little kid, cute, had black hair, and could hardly see up over the front of the machine .... he was a pinball wizard, if there ever was one.
Oh well, once again, memories... good memories of good times while growing up in our hometown.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY !!
exbellwoodian

Post by exbellwoodian »

The problem with that "everything is tied to gas" comment is that everything DID go UP with gas, but NOTHING came back DOWN with gas! I smells me a greed that is smellier than either Hoagie makers kitchen! Back to the Hoagie wars....it all comes down to SERVICE. Treat your customers well, and they will repay you for it. Treat them badly and they will find somewhere else to go....i.e. the next block down the street. Their PIZZA is great too! Love it!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

When I first got back to town, after being away for 30ish some years, I too experienced some of what you are talking about as far as the "customer service" is concerned. During those years of being away, everytime I came home to visit my parent, East End Hoagies was always a must, sometime during the visit. Wasn't paying that much attention to the "service" at that time, I just couldn't wait to eat the hoagie. There isn't a hoagie in this world that compares with East End Hoagies.
When I think about it, during some of those visits, later in the years, I was so happy just to walk inside the shop... I was all smiles and Hi how are you's, but, soon realized there was no sincere smiles in return...was kinda' disappointed that they didn't recognize me... especially after all those good memories we had in that place as kids.They didn't know me anymore. Well, I blamed it all on "time" for, over time, I didn't know who was who anymore either. Besides, years go by, things change, people change, I'm sure they have taken a bum rap from many a folk, (especially the jealous ones) who hate to see people actually make it, and continue to make it.
Throughout all these years of being in business in a small town, I'm sure they have been stabbed in the back many, many, times from people they thought were friends. This in turn has probably caused some to become "cold with little oil," but, hey... they perservered and, through it all, thank goodness they are still there. Maybe, just maybe, if some people were nice to them, they would return the jester. BTW, they too need vacations and time off.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

It may not be the fondest of memories, but you know when you walk in and to the right on the floor, they have that big, or at least when I was little it was big, register on the floor with the heat radiator in it, I remember going in there on a very cold day and that thing was heating up the place quite nicely, I was probably like 8 and I fell on that darn thing. I had these blisters on my hand that resembled the grate that covers that radiator for a long time. Still today when I go in there, as I often do to much of, I still think back and look at my hand...I still love to get a hoagie and a chocolate milk just like when I was in shop class and we would run down for lunch. Happy New Year All :D
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Well I got back in town for the holidays and was fortunate enough to get into the orignal hoagie shop before they went on vacation. I got two of them and then went back a couple of days later and got a pizza.

Then, the vacation hit and I had to work my way up the street and pick up two from the competitor. I find that both of them are good. So if you are in town and you have to have a hoagie, Tyrone style...the 2nd choice is not bad.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

After going thru, and reading, this "Hoagie" thread the past few days, I wanted an East End Hoagie so bad I could almost taste it. I just couldn't stand it anymore so this evening, around 5PM, I drove all the way out to get one. Guess what ??!! They were closed... now I know the feeling !! :(
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

One hoagie is just as good as the other. The difference between the two establishments is accessibility and attitude. I dont know why I never tried a hoagie at Mac's before ... I always order chicken salad to go...guess I never hung around in there long enough to smell the onions......lol. But now that I have....I suppose I'll only go to East End if by chance they are OPEN and Mac's is CLOSED.

I have craved EE and if my children weren't available to go in and pickup for me... I did without. You just never know which attitude is going to greet you at the counter. < My kids could give a rats bottom if they get service with a smile.. I, however, am old and sensitive ,,,,menopause... gimme a nasty attitude and slap my change on the counter... things could get ugly. :roll: >
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say wrote:One hoagie is just as good as the other. The difference between the two establishments is accessibility and attitude. I dont know why I never tried a hoagie at Mac's before ... I always order chicken salad to go...guess I never hung around in there long enough to smell the onions......lol. But now that I have....I suppose I'll only go to East End if by chance they are OPEN and Mac's is CLOSED.

I have craved EE and if my children weren't available to go in and pickup for me... I did without. You just never know which attitude is going to greet you at the counter. < My kids could give a rats bottom if they get service with a smile.. I, however, am old and sensitive ,,,,menopause... gimme a nasty attitude and slap my change on the counter... things could get ugly. :roll: >
ROFLOL, "Something to say" !!! This Ole Die-Hard East Ender refused to go next door !! I wanted, or should I say, I craved an East End cold with little oil.
Like a spoiled brat, I turned around and pouted all the way home !!! I'm still pouting !!!
BTW, I'm hungry :(
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

When I was in Tyrone back in October - the one time I made it to East End (Monday at lunchtime), they were closed too.

I would have gone down to Mac's - but back when I was about 10 years old I was branded by them as "that offensively incorrigible little hellion" and told never to set foot in there again.

Even when I was a cop there - every time I drove by, they stood at the front door and gave me the hairy eyeball while shaking their fist at me.

I have no doubt I'm still no longer welcome there. Maybe I'll try again at about the 50-years-later mark... :fogey: