Youth of Tyrone

Have an upcoming church event or function? Post your information here!
Butterball

Youth of Tyrone

Post by Butterball »

I witnessed around 200 youth at Tyrone High School worshiping God in front of there flag pole today. What an awesome sight. They had a band singing praise and worship as the teachers and students arrived. This is an annual event called SYATP= See You At The Pole.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

I had never heard of this, What a great way to start the school year. Wonder if it is planned for this year also?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

The school should not allow this at all.... public schools are to be free of relgious overtones.

I bet the Muslims didn't appreciate that public display!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I thought "See You At The Pole" was a NASCAR thing!
farmer

Post by farmer »

See You At The Pole day is being held September 27th this year. If you want more information on it just do a google search on SYATP. I am glad to see Tyrone participating - I pray they do so again this year. Nothing like this ever took place while I was in Tyrone.

And it is legal - students are permitted to gather before or after school for any number of purposes - including prayer. It doesn't really matter what others think.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Tyrone has had a prayer group at school for a good many numbers of years now... I think its a positve thing... Prayer never hurt anyone that I know of!
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Banksy, legally the school has no say over whether this happens or not. If it provides a disruption then they would have jurisdiction over the issue but something that does not cause a problem and does not take away from the school day cannot be denied. I would much rather have them doing this than a lot of other things that could be detrimental. If the school was promoting it or leading it then you would have constitutional issues to deal with at that time.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Keeping in mind that this is the Church Discussions forum, and not the Community Discussions, please try to keep the posts more focused on the nature of the post more. You may always start another post in the Community forum to voice opposing opinions.

Great post, Butterball, glad to have you on as a member. :thumb:

- Rick
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Okay I guess I was another violator of the staying on topic. It certainly seemed to me that discussing the activity and its' legality is appropriate in this thread. So is the only post okay in this thread the original one? Just asking for some guidance.
Ken Reeder

Post by Ken Reeder »

banksy wrote:The school should not allow this at all.... public schools are to be free of relgious overtones.

It's OK ,I asked God and He said it was allright with HIM.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Ken Reeder wrote:
banksy wrote:The school should not allow this at all.... public schools are to be free of relgious overtones.

It's OK ,I asked God and He said it was allright with HIM.
Ah, so there we have it. See you at the pole!
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Sounds like a good thing to me!! Keep meeting at the pole!! Remember...We DO life in a FREE country.....freedom of religion, speech...who cares what the muslims think, they do what they want, right?
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

oops..spelling error>live...busy this morning!!
Leep

Post by Leep »

I would like for anyone to show me and everyone else, where it says anything in the Constitution anything about "The Separation Of Church And State"
It simply does not exist...
I know what it says, I will not repeat it here, but will let it up to the dissenters to do their own research/homework and post their proof here for all to see.
I have gone way past amazement and despair at how people simply accept as "Gospel" what someone else claims as factual, when it could all be settled to their own satisfaction if they would just read the offered "facts."
Again, it does not exist.
The first one who can show us that it does gets to go back in time and change one grade on their final report card, in any subject...
:lol:

Leep Out:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

It doesn't exist, but it is in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and by legal precedents interpreting that clause. The Establishment Clause states that, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

The "separation of Church and State" is purely a tought of Thomas Jefferson. Peparationists say Jefferson's statement proves that the original intent of the First Amendment was complete separation of church and state, while anti-separationists either consider it irrelevant or might say that it supports the idea that the original intention of the First Amendment was to guarantee religion the freedom to exist without government influence.

It is all interpretation, you interprete your way, I'll interpret it my way. I myself feel that my child should be educated in school on science, math, english, etc. If I wanted a specific religion to be taught, I would send him to a private school. Don't read into this, my son will be going to a Catholic School, not a public school.