HOAGIE WARS

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
mkensinger

Hoagie

Post by mkensinger »

I never thought of it that way!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
mangotree

Post by mangotree »

The more disney writes, the worse East End looks (if that's possible).

If you had a fraction of the business sense you think you do, you'd start apologizing for the attitudes at EE and stop gloating about your family's success. You can catch more flies with molasses than onions (or something like that).

You'd also focus your attention on fixing the problems at East End, instead of reporting your competition's price increases and engaging in online p*ss matches.

A smart business person would help their family realize that they could be even "richer" if they changed their ways (the well-chronicled poor attitudes and self-serving business hours) instead of battening the hatches and declaring war.

Try this next week:

Place full page ads in the CDT, Herald and Mirror announcing new hours and dedication to customer satisfaction. Offer coupons for the thousands of people out there who've never had your hoagies. Order some higher quality meats and expand your menu. Buy some in-store signage and ditch the posterboard menus -- it's a restaurant, not a church bake sale.

I realize this would require hard work and a little investment on your family's end, so it's safe to say you'll probably ignore my recipe (pun intended) for success and continue doing things as you have for the past 51 years.

You can lead a horse to onions, but you can't make him eat (or something like that).
disneyqn71
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

hoagie war

Post by disneyqn71 »

First of all, Disneyqn71 did not start this post, nor did I personally ATTACK anyone. I believe the educated readers who participate in this forum can be the judge of character.

I have made it clear how I feel. I have never disguised my identity. I stand loyal behind my family. So you all know who I am, basically where I live and my general background.

Who are you Mysteryman? What about you Mango? It continually fascinates me to watch you TWIST my words and feel the need to personally ATTACK me solely for my opinions on a subject that you don't agree with, nor know much about.
It all boils down to character and how we choose to deliver a conversation. My intent was to engage a healthy debate. Not to start a band wagon, not to solicit patrons, not to seek advice on how to IMPROVE a 51 year successful business and surely not to defend my own character over and over again.

Where did the 3 mil figure come from? You are way off, but we can save that for another debate.

Here is the definition of CUT THROAT in case you are interested and I believe it sums up MACS/GRIDIRON/BRIAN to a TEE...

Cut-throat competition, also known as destructive or ruinous competition, refers to situations when competition results in prices that do not chronically or for extended periods of time cover costs of production, particularly fixed costs.

History proves that Louise has NEVER resorted to gimmicks, games or teaser prices. Of course, quality is a very subjective measurement – who decides what is good quality?????

Quantity is actually efficiency, and efficiency is part of Quality. So I rest my case. No business selling a 10" roll (get the facts right if you want to continue to debate) with a thinner, cheapened version of meat than what East End uses will ever experience 51 years of history in Tyrone. Especially since Louise has only increased her hoagie by 4.8 cents every year. Brian beat that with the 26 cents in 26 days...give or take.

So although I am enjoying all of the attention you are paying to me, it is my GRANDMOTHER who truly deserves the spotlight. After all, Brian needs to shake her hand and thank her for her innovative and unique product because without her, he would have to survive on his butchering business, which obviously wasn't cutting it. Before you attack me again, that is merely my opinion because I buy my meat at Sam's. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Blain

Post by Blain »

My God, let it go already. Nobody is changing any minds here.
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Exactly!!

This is so freakin ridiculous & very old and boring!!! :stick:
Meaux

The Biz...

Post by Meaux »

Seen it all, read it all, sampled it all.

My thoughts...

Let’s Eat Out: Americans Weigh Taste, Convenience and Nutrition (from USDA Economic Research Service, October 2006)
Whether eating out or buying carry-out, Americans are consuming more and more of their calories from full-serive and fast-food restaurants…(the) intake of food eaten away from home increased from 18 to 32 percent between the late 1970s and the middle 1990s.

(and the trend continues…) The 2004 average comprises $1,347 spent on food consumed at home and $860 spent on food consumed away from home. These amounts reflect a year-to-year increase of 7.9 percent in food-at-home expenditures and 9.3 percent in food-away-from-home expenditures.

For the Tyrone economy...there's room for both businesses.
Lofton0707

Hoagie Wars

Post by Lofton0707 »

I just returned to Virginia from Tyrone (visiting my mother) yesterday and I must say that East End Hoagie tasted AWESOME!!! The only thing missing was the Red Cream Soda (which they are trying to get through a different distributor). The hoagie and the mushroom pizza hit the spot! Seeing that I have been away from Tyrone since 1986 and have only visited a few times, I make it a point to stop at East End. The hours were "shaky" but I found the open hours. I believe I "blew" Sheetz up with their hot dogs as well. Cant forget the Gardners Candy either (I spent $ 45.00 in meltaways and penny candy). Although I wasn't aware of Macs Meats making hoagies and pizzas (until my mother informed me). I remember East End hoagies and I am old fashioned and stick with what I know. Was a nice three day stop in good old Tyrone. Funny thing, I never saw a policeman the entire time I was there....HMMMM?
hair-honey

Hoagie Wars?

Post by hair-honey »

I'm new to site, was reading posts when I came across this one. As I see it, these are 2 businesses trying to make money. There can be 2 places side-by-side doing the same thing. Who is to say they can't, right. The customers will go to the place they like better no matter what is said about the other. East End has been around forever and those people who love them will stay true to them. And the people who like Mac's place will give him their business. I'm not a big fan of hoagies, but I've had them. I hear all the rave about the "onions", without them, you really don't have much of a hoagie left, and I don't eat onions. But I will say East End pizzas are not much to be desired. A shell with alittle toppings thrown on, they could to better after all these years.
banksy
MVP Member

Re: Hoagie Wars?

Post by banksy »

hair-honey wrote:I'm new to site, was reading posts when I came across this one. As I see it, these are 2 businesses trying to make money. There can be 2 places side-by-side doing the same thing. Who is to say they can't, right. The customers will go to the place they like better no matter what is said about the other. East End has been around forever and those people who love them will stay true to them. And the people who like Mac's place will give him their business. I'm not a big fan of hoagies, but I've had them. I hear all the rave about the "onions", without them, you really don't have much of a hoagie left, and I don't eat onions. But I will say East End pizzas are not much to be desired. A shell with alittle toppings thrown on, they could to better after all these years.
You said nothing that hasn't been repeated 10 times. You should have saved your first post for something else.
hair-honey

hoagies??

Post by hair-honey »

Banksy,
It seems to me you seem to post alot. And you don't even live here anymore. I was just trying to give my 2 cents too. Frankly it's nobodys business who opens, and how someone runs their business.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Post 2 is as senseless as post one. Keep 'em coming!
Beck

Post by Beck »

I seriously think that Banksy was a school monitor back in the day.. He seems to give everyone his two cents, .. but hey we gotta love him... after all we expect him to be as respectful to us... I do think that if we want people to continue posting we need to let them speak their minds without being so critical, but then again you can't change an old dog right Bansky??
The hoagie thing is old though... I don't eat either one of them, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth! I
Blain

Post by Blain »

Beck wrote:I seriously think that Banksy was a school monitor back in the day.. He seems to give everyone his two cents, .. but hey we gotta love him...
I don't have to love him, do I?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Beck, just making a point and encouraging more senseless hoagie postings.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: HOAGIE WARS

Post by Rick »

I was recently approached about a long lost taboo topic on our forums, so consider it a a New Years Resolution to allow an old topic to come to light again.

As long as we keep it civil.

Happy new year all...
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you