Penn State versus...Coastal Carolina?

Didn't get enough at the game? C'mon in and share the experience with the rest of us!!!
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Penn State versus...Coastal Carolina?

Post by BeachBiker »

I saw this announced yesterday - Penn State playing Coastal Carolina University for the PSU football home opener in '08:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 45391.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 46219.html

Should be interesting, although it's obvious that Penn State would be heavily favored to win.

Coastal Carolina is a storybook football team. It's only been in existence for 4 years, but they've been impressive. A young coach that is just a super guy and terrific coach. A state-of-the-art stadium and facilities that were mostly possible from the generosity of Bob Brooks, the late Hooters Chairman.

CCU won the first college game they played, and finished with a winning record their very first year. They shared or won their conference every year since. In 2005, they easily knocked off the defending national champion - despite the fact that it had returned almost their entire championship team. CCU has a knack for outplaying and outmaneuvering the most difficult of teams. They graduated most of the original players - those who led the team to the great accomplishments of the first 4 years - this past year. But there are many new ones stepping up to take their place, many of whom have been impressed with CCU’s accomplishments so far, and many of them turned down opportunities and offers to go to larger and more traditional football teams just to play here.

Maybe it was also because they considered the lure of the beach, bikinis, etc at a smaller-school setting too - but I think Coach Bennett will keep all those “distractions” under control.

At the same time, CCU coach Bennett reminds me a lot of Coach Paterno in one way - the emphasis of student-player success and conduct both on and OFF the field. Coach Bennett and his students are extremely involved in the local community, and academic success is highly emphasized as well.

On a personal note, Coach Bennett is one of those guys who just fits in everywhere, and if you've met him he makes an impression that just stands out. Just after he was hired, and long before their first game had been played, he appeared on the local university TV station for an interview. At the time, I was the station's "Campus Curmudgeon" - the Andy Rooney-type commentator presenting my self-authored surly and sarcastic commentaries on vital CCU issues. I met and spoke with Coach Bennett for all of about 2 minutes. About THREE years later, long after Coach Bennett had met and got to know about 1 million other people here - and at a peak of success as they were preparing for their first college championship playoff appearance (against the defending national champion AGAIN) - I was driving on campus on my Harley. I had to stop at a crosswalk because Coach Bennett himself was crossing in front of me. He stopped, walked over and gave a hearty "Hey Mike, how 'you been?!" Now, how could he have remembered my name after all that time, all he'd been through, all he's achieved, all the other folks he'd met, and all he had on his mind at the time?

But that's just the type of guy he is. And the type of coach who will be presenting a small FCS (former I-AA) against an FBS (former I-A) team that is a traditional powerhouse, led by a legendary coach.

As one of the (probably) rare group of alumni of BOTH universities, I look forward to this game. Who knows - this may be the ultimate event that makes me come back home for a week or so for the first time in over 10 years.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Will the CCU cheerleaders be dressed in the same outfit as the Hooter's Girls?

If so, I'm glad I'm a season ticket holder.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

All this talk about CCU when all it is going to be is PSU kicking the sh*t outta them. 'nuff said! CCU has .0001 chance of winning that game, and 0% chance of winning if the game is played.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:Will the CCU cheerleaders be dressed in the same outfit as the Hooter's Girls?

If so, I'm glad I'm a season ticket holder.
No - far from it. I know their cheerleader coach quite well, and I don't think she would go for that.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Nuts. Well, then I hope I can just get face-value for the ticket then.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

Ironically, my nephew just transfered from Penn State to there. He's still a huge Penn State fan, but the call of the sand, surf, sun, pretty girls in bikinis, etc.was just too much.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

SoccerMom wrote:... He's still a huge Penn State fan, but the call of the sand, surf, sun, pretty girls in bikinis, etc.was just too much.
That's for sure - I see and enjoy it all every day!

Penn State is VERY popular here - you probably see more Penn State logos, bumper stickers, etc here than of any other college (and that INCLUDES University of South Carolina and Clemson). And that's on the vehicles, tshirts, etc of LOCALS, not just tourists. Oh, the same goes for Steelers stuff, too.

Of course, there are many, many of us "PA transplants" here.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

My nephew and his friend moved into there new appartment down there two weeks ago, and he's loving it. We'll see how much he likes it now that classes have started though... He'll be very busy, with a full class schedule, working and ROTC.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

BeachBiker wrote: Of course, there are many, many of us "PA transplants" here.
h*ll yeah... the smart people have already left Pennsylvania. And there's still a large number of us trying to escape.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Re: Penn State versus...Coastal Carolina?

Post by BeachBiker »

Congrats to Penn State on a great home opener. I actually told folks down here over the past couple weeks that I predicted "a score something like 62-10". Pretty close, huh?

Believe it or not, many folks here are also satisfied with just the opportunity to play Penn State - AT Penn State - for a variety of reasons. They include multiple Penn State connections, many Penn State fans/alumni who are also "transplanted" Coastal Carolina supporters, tiny chance and hope to pull off an upset, national exposure, big financial payoff, etc.

In addition, the team and school wanted to be challenged and tested in the big time - and to learn from the superior opposition in order to help it's own program in its own league.

More than anything, the most common and universal comment I've heard from folks and the media here is how a small southern upstart team that's accomplished growing success actually got to face and play against a traditionally and greatly respected program - and it's coaching legend named Joe Paterno.

It doesn't get much better than that - regardless of the final score.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

BeachBiker wrote:Congrats to Penn State on a great home opener. I actually told folks down here over the past couple weeks that I predicted "a score something like 62-10". Pretty close, huh?

Believe it or not, many folks here are also satisfied with just the opportunity to play Penn State - AT Penn State - for a variety of reasons. They include multiple Penn State connections, many Penn State fans/alumni who are also "transplanted" Coastal Carolina supporters, tiny chance and hope to pull off an upset, national exposure, big financial payoff, etc.

In addition, the team and school wanted to be challenged and tested in the big time - and to learn from the superior opposition in order to help it's own program in its own league.

More than anything, the most common and universal comment I've heard from folks and the media here is how a small southern upstart team that's accomplished growing success actually got to face and play against a traditionally and greatly respected program - and it's coaching legend named Joe Paterno.

It doesn't get much better than that - regardless of the final score.
I see the big payoff, but if they really wanted to be challenged they should have played a team from the SEC.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:I see the big payoff, but if they really wanted to be challenged they should have played a team from the SEC.
I understand that's in the works. But when the mutual opening and golden opportunity presented itself to play against such a traditionally respected school and legendary coach, there was no doubt what to do. As I previously stated, Penn State is VERY popular here for various reasons - and Coastal Carolina University has seen a steadily significant increase in students native to the central PA area.

The "key player" on the CCU side was Athletic Director Warren "Moose" Koegel. He was instrumental in getting the CCU football program started, and probably the main reason for selection of a very fine coach and program that has far exceeded all expectations since. Koegel's AD duties and guidance have also been responsible for high national rankings in CCU baseball, golf, and other sports programs.

A bit about Koegel's PSU connection:

"...Coastal Carolina athletic director Warren "Moose" Koegel will rejoin his 1968 Nittany Lions tonight.
Penn State is celebrating the 40th anniversary of the team, which was Joe Paterno's first undefeated squad (11-0), this weekend in State College, Pa.
There is a reception for the team tonight in State College and the team will be honored on the field at halftime Saturday. Koegel is curious to hear the reception he will receive from the crowd at Beaver Stadium as he will be representing the enemy Saturday. Koegel and Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham were the only two sophomore starters on the 1968 team and were captains for Paterno on his 1970 team..."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 74053.html

And, an article about starting CCU QB Will Richardson, younger brother of former PSU starting QB Wally Richardson:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 72494.html