Best/Favorite Tyrone Athletes In Your Memory

Didn't get enough at the game? C'mon in and share the experience with the rest of us!!!
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Best/Favorite Tyrone Athletes In Your Memory

Post by banksy »

This is designed for those to post their favorite or who they perceive to be the best Tyrone athelete in their particular sport.

Rules are simple:

1. You msut have seen the person play.
2. It's your opinion, there are no wrong answers.
3. Person must have played for Tyrone.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Wrestling: Bruce Wallace
Football: Jesse Jones
Baseball: Coleman Twins
Basketball: George Gripp

Favorite Athlete to Watch/Listen:

Nothing compared to wrestling matches during the Bruce Wallace era. He was who EVERYONE came to see, including the away side. TAHS gymnasium was filled for EVERY match. I remember Bruce getting up from the chairs a few matches before his and going back into the locker rooms to prepare. The crowd cheered. Sometimes Bruce would then pop his head back in the gym door to see what was happening, the crowd would cheer.... and when it came to his match, everyone was up on their feet when he ran into the gym. Who could forget interrupting class to play his State matches over the PA.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I don't think there was ever a crowd at the Tyrone gym like there was at a wrestling match with Bruce Wallace on the mat.

My favorite two athletes in Tyrone history to watch both participated in Track and Field. There was nothing like watching Kevin Jenkins and Christina Burnett run. It was something special.

If I were to say by sport who I enjoyed watching.

Football -- Doug Roseberry playing linebacker. He was everywhere all the time.

Basketball -- Eric Castorina who led Tyrone to its only D-6 hoop championship and Barb Miller who would have scored 2,000 points if they had a 3 point shot and Jim Swaney as a coach.

Wrestling -- Bruce was amazing, but I liked watching Bill Dixon wrestle. It was always a pin if Bill won and if he lost, most of the time it was a risky move to get a pin.

Baseball -- The Coleman twins were great, Scott Gummo hitting is poetry in motion.

Track -- Jenkins and Burnett
skippy

Post by skippy »

Cross Country: Lee Hayes
Football: Jesse Jones
Wrestling: Bruce Wallace
Boys Basketball: Donnie Wagner (too young to remember Nick Leisure)
Girls Basketball: Barb Miller
Boys Track & Field: Kevin Jenkins
Girls Track & Field: Christina Burnett
Baseball: Tommy & Jimmy Coleman

From my perspective, nothing compares to Tyrone wrestling in the early to mid 80s. I am not old enough to remember the back to back undefeated wrestling teams of the early 70s but I understand the atmosphere was similar. Packed gyms were the norm for when powers like Clearfield, P-O, BEA etc. came to town. As exciting as it was to watch, it was 10 times more thrilling to compete in some of those matches.

Watching Tyrone win a state football championship was probably my all-time favorite game. I have yet to see a better high school football rivalry than Tyrone/Bellwood.
Lofton0707

Favorite All Time Tyrone Athletes

Post by Lofton0707 »

Boys Basketball: George "Fro Man" Gripp

Girls Basketball: Barb Miller (she would have made the WNBA if it existed then)

Baseball: Billy Weight (the boy could hit!!!!)

Track: Kevin Jenkins (he was posessed on the track)

Football: Doug Fleming

Wrestling: Bruce Wallace (he electrified the gym)
scoutmom

Post by scoutmom »

I liked watching Jesse Jones with all his cuts and turns and speed during a football game. I also liked Doug Roseberry. For such a big boy he was everywhere!! :thumb:

When I was a little girl my dad was a referee at the wresting matches and watching Bruce Wallace was the highlight of every match. Boy could he move. :D It's sad to have seen him pass away at such a young age. :(
stop and take time to smell the flowers
Meaux

Post by Meaux »

Memories...there was, once upon a time, The Year of the Eagle...

I was in junior high so it was not my classmates but the seniors for the Class of 1971 or 1972 went 8-1 in football (there were no play-offs, etc that I recall), undefeated in basketball, wrestling and, I think, baseball.

The football team was a bunch of Hoss' as I recall (but maybe I was just young and little), Gib Fink was winning the State wrestling championship for the second time and the cagers were talents giants (Fern, Getz, etc)

Heady times. Can some sports junky fill in the blanks??
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My brother was the QB of the class of 71. They beat State College that year, and lost in a mud bowl the last game of the season to Hollidaysburg.
disneyqn71

favorites

Post by disneyqn71 »

I personally loved cheering for and watching Scott Hoover tear down the football field back in 88-89.

Bob Sweitzer for Basketball, without a doubt in the 70's.

Benny Delbaggio for Golf.

Krista Kustaboarder for Swimming.

The whole 1993-94 Girls Basketball team was pretty exciting minus Jim Swaney. Ellen Bardges was the BEST girls basketball coach ever, but very short lived.

Did not follow highschool baseball, but all the Weaver boys were good during Legion Ball in the summer.

Bruce Wallace wrestling, no question.
JanP

Re:

Post by JanP »

banksy wrote:My brother was the QB of the class of 71. They beat State College that year, and lost in a mud bowl the last game of the season to Hollidaysburg.

Yup, he sure was-- I graduated with him TAHS Class of 1971! Where is Rick these days & how's he doing? We actually went all through grade school together, too, at the old Grazierville School. (My folks tell me it's not there anymore, I live in Tampa, FL) Anyway, tell Rick that Janice Hamer (that's my maiden name-- the name he'll know) says "hi" & remember "The Year of The Eagle", TAHS Class of 1971! Thanks!
banksy
MVP Member

Re: Re:

Post by banksy »

JanP wrote:
banksy wrote:My brother was the QB of the class of 71. They beat State College that year, and lost in a mud bowl the last game of the season to Hollidaysburg.

Yup, he sure was-- I graduated with him TAHS Class of 1971! Where is Rick these days & how's he doing? We actually went all through grade school together, too, at the old Grazierville School. (My folks tell me it's not there anymore, I live in Tampa, FL) Anyway, tell Rick that Janice Hamer (that's my maiden name-- the name he'll know) says "hi" & remember "The Year of The Eagle", TAHS Class of 1971! Thanks!
He lives in Bellefonte.... 3 kids (2 married, 1 a sophomore in college.) I'll relay the message.
SANTEEO

Re: Best/Favorite Tyrone Athletes In Your Memory

Post by SANTEEO »

:rofl:
Old Sgt

Post by Old Sgt »

One football player who is over looked is Doug Shoenwolf.
Doug is the only player I know of who never left the field once the game started (except for halftime). He played Off/Def line and was the punter and Kicker

I remember watching Dave Grazier when I was a kid. He was an All state football player and a great wrestler.

When I coached teener Baseball the Coleman brothers use to come to my pratice....The funny part was they were not on my team. They owned that league. I coached HS ball with them and I don't think I ever met two brothers that loved baseball as much as those two. Jimmy was a vacum cleaner at shortstop and could have pitched for any other school in the area. The team they were on had 5 quality pitchers so Jimmy wasn't really used as a pitcher. Tom was a very good HS pitcher and turned down a scholarship to pitch college ball at Lock Haven. I wonder how much better he would have been had he not got into a serious car wreck.

Wrestling: I vote for the Fink brothers. All three made the Tyrone team what it was in the 70's and Gib won two PIAA state championships before they had AA and AAA fields. Clay was a state runner up and Tom should have won a title but was cut short due to illness.
SANTEEO

Post by SANTEEO »

Doug Shoenwolf was the best. :thumb:
telgator1

Post by telgator1 »

Favorite TAHS players that I saw:

Football: Terry Turnbaugh
Basketball: Bill Gearhart